Does religion factor into your decision to date someone?

As the question states, does it matter to you what your other half's religion is?

I'm a pagan/polytheist but not very open about it (as in I don't bring it up unless specifically asked). I stay open-minded when it comes to religion. I just try to avoid dating guys who are very religious in general. Usually my dates are culturally Christian. I respect others' beliefs as long as they aren't trying to convert me.

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't factor in at all really. I'm largely nonreligious in that I have no real dogmatic beliefs, but I do appreciate many different religious teachings, so I guess you could say I'm open-minded. The only thing I tend to avoid is someone who is super religious, like you do. Not because they're religious, but because often the more into one's religion someone is, the more they want everyone else to be into it too. And I just don't like that kind of thing. I like talking religion and discussing beliefs, and I don't care what anyone else believes in, but any ounce of pressure from someone I like, to change my thinking, will only push me away and start to unravel whatever interest I had in them. We might be able to be friends, but we wouldn't work in a relationship. If I'm going to change my thinking, it'll be because something I've read or that we've discussed has struck a chord in me, not because someone else thinks I'm wrong. I'm not debating right and wrong at all, I think it's silly.

What Guys Said 11

• Well most people don't wear their religion on their sleeves so it doesn't influence my decision at first. I've found many girls who happen to be religious to be very appealing. It doesn't matter to me what they believe what matters to me is their future plans. How they want to raise children and if they expect me to eventually jump on board with their religion. I'm all for compromise but in my experience most religious people are very adamant about expectations for children and marriage and things like that.

If you want to make these things work you have to figure out how they view these things. Don't be afraid to ask questions as long as you're being respectful.

• I would always date a girl that I like ... then we take it from there... dating is getting to know someone... part of knowing is to know if you are going to be compatible or not .

I wouldn't put the religions factor as an obstacle before dating phase.. but I would like to get to know her opinions during this phase .

• In a way that, if she tries to impose her religion on me, then I would not date her. I believe what I want to believe in and it's not my partners business. Other than that, I don't care, since it's not my business.

• Im an asatruar. I wouldn't date a wiccan,Muslim, jew,or hindu. It depends on what kind of Christian they are. Idc for satanism either.

• Does that fall under Heathenry then? Just curious, I'm germanic/norse in my following.

• Okay, thanks. For me, the germanic gods are cultural (born in Europe to be exact). I never looked at Asatru. Thanks for the link, something to go read.

• i am an atheist, sooooo...honestly, it depends. I don't like bible/koran/torah thumping religious types.

• Not really.

• Philosophy does not factor into my decision to date someone.

This would functionally mean I am really stupid.

True story.

• As a Jedi, I'm against all girls from the dark side.

• it doesn't at all

• Yes. I wouldn't date someone with different religious or political views.

• I am an atheist and have learned to stay away from dating Christians. Their religion says they are suppose to try and save my soul so they to keep trying to change me until they succeed at getting on my nerves.

What Girls Said 14

• It would depend on their degree of adherence to their religious beliefs and their willingness to leave me out of them. I do not wish to be converted or have their beliefs change my life and beliefs. I would not want to keep a kosher, halal, hindi or buddist home/diet/lifestyle. Nor would I wish to live without modern conveniences such as the Amish.

• I can be friends with people of different religions as long as they respect mine. But for a relationship, I need a guy who shares my beliefs. I wouldn't date a guy unless he was a Christian.

• Yeah, it does. I'm a religious person myself, not the kind that quotes the bible 24/7, or shoves Catholicism down people's throats, I like to pray, go to Church and just follow Christ. I can't date someone who doesn't respect my beliefs, or who thinks what I believe in is a load of rubbish. I don't want to be converted, but neither do I want a devout Catholic who lives by the bible, and only that. I believe in what I think is right to believe in, and I don't agree with the Church 100%, which I need someone to understand. Luckily for me, my boyfriend is a Catholic too. He doesn't go to Church, I don't think he prays, and he has a hard time believing. But he respects that fact that my religion is big part of me, and he understands it, and I respect the fact that he's not a great believer. Neither of us want to change one another, which is perfect :)

• Yes. If the person is very religious, tries to convert me, put religion on every conversation and if his family doesn't like me because I don't share their beliefs.

• Yes, they're heavily indoctrinated and come on strong about their beliefs.

I don't share their beliefs about sin, death, being guilty 24 hrs a day and that we're just dumb sheeps under Jesus Christ.

• I'm an atheist and I only date other atheists or at least agnostics. I can't stand being with theists for that long, their religion always comes up sooner or later. I also think it's just crazy to be a theist, but I don't directly tell them that.

• Nope it isn't overly important to me.

• I would not date a Muslim, Christian or Catholic, but would date a fellow Atheist or an open minded Jew.

• hmmm I won't date a guy whos from other relgion cause I'm Muslim :)

• No unless he force me to join his religion. I wouldn't want to change my religion for anyone

• It did at some point.. Not because I'm regious. But because of practical reasons. Now I've come to find out its pointless

• I wouldn't date a guy who was anti-religion

• not right now.

• it doesn't factor in