He said I made him sound like a "freeloader"? Am I in trouble?

Ok I will try to make this short. I was texting a guy I am seeing like we do every day, nothing unusual. Then somehow we got to talking about work, and he made a comment saying "I know what you mean, I only make $600 a week." To which I said "hey any money is better than no money! and that's not bad at all when you don't have to pay rent and sh!t, its all pure income :D". To which he replied "Kinda made me sound like a freeloader lol." I suddenly felt really bad, because that is not at all what I meant, I feel terrible now and tried to explain to him that all I meant was that I wish I could live with my parents now so that I could save up money for my future etc., but I don't think he believed my explanation (even though it really is true) and he stopped replying. I think I hurt his ego a bit, and I really was not trying to. It's just that sometimes over text it is so hard to express what you really mean, but we have to resort to that because we are currently in a long-distance thing for at least a few more months. Do you think what I said was so terrible? Or is he being too sensitive? How do I fix this (and note I won't see him in person any time soon)? I feel like the biggest a$s :((((

Most Helpful Girl

• I know what you meant, but I see how he could have taken that way.

It's good that you explained yourself but if he still chooses to take offense to it then there really is not much you can do. You tried your best to let him see what you meant, and that's all you can do.

Don't feel bad he interpreted the wrong way.

• Thanks, yeah I think because my natural personality is to never ever offend anyone, I felt terrible when I realized I might have accidentally offended him. Literally, for me to feel that I hurt another person, is one of the worst feelings I can experience. I beat myself up over it every time. We are OK now and talked after and it was fine, but I STILL feel bad about it, thinking that it might still be in his head. I guess I need to be more careful with my word choices :/ thanks for commenting!

• Np. You seem like a sweet natured girl. If he says its okay, then it's okay. Don't worry.

• Ty for ba.

What Guys Said 2

• What you said is fine. How you handled the aftermath was bloody horrible though. He tried to play it off as a joke, and you should have rolled with it, but instead you tried to counter-explain which ... yeah that dumb. If you wanted to ensure you pissed him off you did a good job of it.

So I guess you are an ass. That's cool. Men like booty.

• I did not think he was playing it off as a joke. Just cause he said "lol" at the end does not mean he thought it was funny. I did not want him to think that is really how I saw him, so I tried to explain better what I meant. Why was me trying to explain a bad thing? Why is my explanation horrible? I don't get it, I was just trying to let him know I did not think bad of him... and he replied with ":-P" to my last text- is that good? I am not trying to be an ass, I swear, I actually feel terrible.

• I guess you are right, in real life it is just so much easier to communicate with others, and I think because English is not my native language I sometimes have a hard time expressing myself in written form - hence confusions through text messages. It all worked out and we are OK now, but I definitely need to be more careful in the future. Thanks for advice!

• ._. Right then.

• i think you should think before speaking

What Girls Said 3

• Don't worry about it. If he gets mad at you for this, then he's not worth your time anyways. What you said is the truth and if he doesn't like hearing the truth, then that's his problem. And you were being optimistic about it too.. "better than none!" is a great way for him to look at the situation.

• He was sensitive you didn't say anything wrong, on the contrary

• i don't think that what you did was wrong I just think you didn't handle it correctly