If someone takes a long time to text you back, do you expect a reason?

If a friend, family member or spouse takes longer than usual to answer back a call or text do you expect to hear a reason why, such as they were in a meeting, they were away for a bit, etc?

• Yes, its the polite thing to do
  • No, I don't really care
  • I would prefer it but I don't get mad if they don't tell me

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't want to be a pest. I assume the person has a good reason to delay. I don't send important, rush things by text.

No one is going to thank you for demanding an explanation for a delay in responding to a text. I would want to say to you "You don't like how I respond, don't text me. I don't need your text, and I don't need you to make another demand on me, especially one that seems so self-centered. Leave me alone."

I would aim for trying to make the person glad he gets my text, so he is happy to respond.

What Guys Said 4

• they could have had an emergancy bathroom break, or someone was knocking at the door, or anything. They can tell me if they want but I won't push the issue I would just like a BRB if they have time.

• It's polite of them to give a reason if it takes considerably long, but most won't cause most aren't polite/courteous in life. I wouldn't get mad necessarily. Unless they do it so regularly. Then I take it as a sign they don't really care to share with me anything and aren't real friends... so meh.

• no I don't care aobut texting.

• No, unless the person usually gives a reason, then I will expect it of course, but still won't mind if they don't

What Girls Said 9

• Sometimes. It depends on why I texted them. If it was super important and urgent, I'd expect to hear a reason. It would be the polite thing to do in that case. But otherwise, if I was just wondering what's up or something not that important, I wouldn't care about not getting an explanation.

• C. normally if my best guy friend does that he'll give me a reason, but if he doesn't I don't get mad.

• Yes, if my boyfriend takes some time to reply back then obviously I expect him to apologize and give me a reason, which he normally does but if it's a friend, then I wouldn't expect him to do so but it would be nice if he did.

• Yes I do... so it would not keep me wondering if something bad happened to them.

• No people get busy sometimes

• No, it's just life that we can't always be attached to our phones.

• i wouldn't care to get a reason.

• i don't really care

• no because he works a lot and at random hours. Only if its in the middle of a conversation...