If a guy makes $100,000 a year greeting at Wal-mart, would you call him "successful?"

So if you met a guy who has no college degree or educational experience what-so-ever, but makes $100,000 a year greeting at a Wal-mart store, would you call him "successful?"

I put this in dating because many women say they want to date a "successful" man.

• Yes, he is successful
  • No, he is not successful

Most Helpful Girl

• Success is more than just what goes in your bank account, it's about living up to your potential. For most men, being a greeter at Walmart is not the pinnacle of their potential and therefore does not make them successful in my opinion. Is there a reason he couldn't have education or a degree or technical training (ie trade of some sort)- as in physically or mentally? If not then, no he is not successful and I would probably not be very interested in dating him. If he skates through life the easiest way out when it comes to work, he probably does the same in other areas- not attractive. A guy just working at Walmart and making $20,000 a year while he searches for something better or goes to school is much more attracitve.

To be fair, I have nothing against working at Walmart or other jobs that require no education or training if that's the most you are capable of or if it's all you can find for now. I do have a friend who, due to an accident when we were younger has a degree but can't physically or mentally handle the stress of a full-time job. She works as a part time VON assistant- I think it suits her and she is successful.

What Girls Said 18

• Yes because there are people with better sounding jobs, that get paid far less.

Yes, I would call him successful because he can stand on his own in life and make it.

Being successful to me isn't about the job title you have, but more about the income.

• Successful for me is someone who enjoys doing what they're doing, they're doing it legally and it's fruit of their own effort and talent. they have quality of life and can make a living and raise a family.

I don't care if a man is a doctor and earns millions, if he's working 18 hours a day and sleeping like 4 hours a day. That's not a successful life.

• Sure. He's clearly the best greeter in the world haha.

• I wouldn't consider a guy who has rich parents/ lots of inherited money but no job to be successful. It's pretty much the same thing. Having a lot of money doesn't mean you've succeeded in life. In my opinion, success is working hard towards a long term goal and achieving it.

I'd consider someone who just graduated college and has no job to be more successful than somebody who earns a lot of money at an entry level job.

• What I find successful is someone doing the job they dreamed of doing or worked hard to get to doing that job. It really all depends.

• Successful financially yes. There are many areas in which we can be successful. I know well off people that are huge flops in everything else. Not saying you are, just stating there is more then one way in which to be successful!

• It's relative. Was that his life's professional career goal? If so then yes, he's successful. He accomplished what he wanted. All relative

• I wouldn't call him successful. He is lucky not successful. Money doesn't make someone successful, accomplishments do.

• if he is greeting with some gator boots on and a name tag that says OWNER

• At least he is doing something but I hope that isn't your career choice

• Well I don't think success is entirely about how much money he makes. If he's happy with himself and feels fulfilled with what he does, then yeah I'd say that's pretty successful.

• I would call him a lier... he's making bank!

• Maybe, but it's doubtful.

He may have Walmart paying him a ridiculous amount of money for greeting (does he have the voice of an angel or something?), but he didn't have to work hard and be smart to get where he's at. Where's his drive? Intelligence? Passion? Does he really want to be doing this for the rest of his life? Doesn't he want something more mentally engaging and challenging? Is he even happy?

I'd need more information than just how much he makes, but from what it sounds like, to me he wouldn't embody what it means to be someone successful. It's like some rich kid who inherits a ton of money and is set for life - he's rich, and perhaps happy too, but he's not what I'd call a successful man.

Someone successful is happy, it's true, but they also strive and achieve.

• Yes, if he's doing what he loves how would he not be successful? Titles and jobs are set by society as to what's being successful.

• it depends on the way he was raised and what he lived before being a wallmart greeter

• not exactly but he could get promoted and at least he's doing something.

• What qualities made him such a valuable greeter that he got paid that amount of money?

For example, my last boyfriend was an engineer and I liked that quite a bit. I'd rather date an engineer than a stockbroker or ceo, because I enjoy intelligence, scientific discussion, value of education and think what engineers do is really cool.

• its a hypothetical

• What I was saying is that the qualities that lead to a guy having one job or another is what generally makes me more interested in him. Not that it's a given, though. Most of the guys I've dated have been intelligent blue collar workers -- but it's not really a preference, just that most of the guys where I'm from are blue collar workers. I like intelligent men.

• successful, yes...as a greeter. but he's no doctor, he's no engineer. It's not what I'm looking for.

What Guys Said 18

• That depends.

If the guy is happy greeting customers because he wants to help people, and is satisfied with his life, and not arrogant, then he is successful.

If he is not happy with his life, or if he's not content, or if he thinks he's better than other people, then no, he's not successful.

Don't men want to date successful women too? Of course most people would not want to date beggars, right? Everyone needs financial stability. Although it is possible for a poor person to be a good boyfriend/girlfriend, but only if the person is a person of good character.

• If he managed to earn that much greeting at Wall Mart, he must be doing something right, something unique, and is likely deservingly fulfilled and proud of it. So, yes.

If he makes that much as a greeter because he has a special connection to Martha Stewart, then that's another story. Then, no.

• Sounds a bit far-fetched but that does not qualify as successful in the career field, but I would say he is financially stable (whether the job earns him this or he inherited his money). Success does not have anything to do with money but the stages one has progressed with through their career does.

• but I doubt anyone would actually make that much at wal mart as a greeter but if he's making over $100,000 I don't see how anyone could call him unsuccessful

• Sucess is what you make of yourself. Not your education.

• anyone who manages to get that much out of walmart should be given a nobel prize.

• If he enjoys his job, even if he made far less than that (especially if he makes enough to cover his base costs), I'd say he's successful. Success isn't money alone. Anyone who's that shallow and stupid to think money/income determines success needs to grow the f*** up.

• suc┬Ěcess

/s?k'ses/

Noun

The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.

The attainment of popularity or profit.

By definition he successful, but everyone has a different connotation on the word success so it all depends on who you are talking to.�

• I say yes that guy is considered "successful"...money talks!

• if you love what you're doing and making enough money to provide for yourself and family, yeah you should consider yourself successful.

• Mooch mooch mooch. That's what that would bring

• well successful in a womans opinion regarding men is usually talking about money, I would say Yes

• Isn't that what most women really mean when the say that they're looking for a "successful" man? After all, you don't necessarily have to be college educated to be "successful"?

• yes, I wish I made that much money

• All I know is the women would be all after him

• Personally, I think the money is what matters, not the actual job. Well, it depends on the job really, I'd respect a Walmart greeter that made $100,000 a year more than I would an exotic dancer that was making that kind of money through tips. Being a Walmart greeter is a respectable job, getting naked and shaking your money maker, not so respectable.

• No, girls care about prestige too.

Can you imagine the conversation she'd have with her female friends? "I have a new boyfriend." "Ooh, what's his job?" "Well, he's a greeter at Wal-Mart." "A greeter at Wal-Mart!?" [Cue laughter or a fake show of concern.] "It's OK, though. He earns so much money. In fact, his salary is..." Said in a bitchy voice: "It's OK. You don't need to explain, girlfriend."

Girls care SO MUCH about other girls' opinions. I don't think most guys quite get it. And I don't think your girlfriend will admit it to you. If you have a sister you're close to, ask her.

A guys' conversation by contrast (a year into John Doe's relationship). "I'd better head off. I've got to give my girl a ride home today." "What job does she do anyway?" "She's a CEO/Wal Mart greeter/astronaut/Starbucks barista." "Oh, cool."

• Success has no monetary equivalent to me.