How do you feel about people who are Transgender?

We are having a pride festival this weekend in my city. I've never had any problems with anyone who is gay. I had a friend in High School who I supported while she came out. A lot of people turned against her, including her own family. So my parents took her in for a while.

However, I've never really liked transgender people and I don't know why. I would never be rude to them for it or anything. I think maybe if they were open about it I'd be okay, but the ones who just hide behind it I'm against. I've heard of a transgenger in my town who is supposed to be a girl and dates women. But she isn't open to who she really is. And I think that is what bothers me. She isn't open that she is girl to her dates, and so they end up being surprised they are really dating a girl instead of a boy.

So I'm not really sure if it's the transgender part that bugs me or the dishonesty part. I'd be upset if I started dating someone only to find out they're really a girl. I'd like to know beforehand that they used to be a girl but now they're a guy. Then I wouldn't make the mistake of dating them. I'm a completely straight female. I only want real men.

Most Helpful Guy

• At the age of eight one of our sons shockingly announced that he was a dog trapped in a boys body. We immediately bought him some dog food and a small rubber ball with a bell in it and he took them like a dog would take to dog food and a small rubber ball with a bell in it. We've since gotten accustomed to it, though sometimes the barking gets out of hand.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't think dishonesty is the right word for this. They don't come out for good reasons. As in your case, they are not accepted anywhere as much as gay people are, which is saying a lot. Many transgender people are murdered because of it. Those murders are often not even investigated. It seems unreasonable to expect a minority to announce themselves so that you can more easily reject them!

• Well murder is going a bit too far. Anyone who has murdered someone or even physically hurt someone for being transgender has far more issues then having a problem with transgender. Those type of people should be locked up with the key thrown away. They shouldn't be allowed to reproduce either. They would be the type who would hurt their kid for being "different"

• I never doubted that you would find their murders reprehensible. I brought it up as an example of why they can't afford to be open about themselves. You can understand how people feel about transgenders by considering how most people felt about gays 50 years ago. They were considered unnatural and expected to stop being gay. Hopefully in 50 years transgenders will be openly accepted by society as well.

• I disapprove all and any such kind of anomalies, thank God - really thank God indeed that there are only normal, straight people among my friends and social circle as otherwise someone would bleed to death!

• I'm kind of the opposite you to you. There the ones I actually have compassion for.

As for the dishonesty part, is it really dishonest? Should they be leading with that? I mean, let's have you disclose something intimate about yourself upon first sitting down with someone.

If it is moving in a certain direction, obviously they should say something about it. I just don't know if they should go around telling everyone things about them to avoid upsetting anyone that they might meet.

What Girls Said 5

• i'm fine with it,don't care,takes a lot of prosthetic/removed balls to go through with it.

the dishonesty is a problem,but,it's understandable. they want to have the chance to prove themselves without being judged and rejected from the start. ''real'' men and women aren't really a thing,they're whatever gender they choose. plenty of people who are born the gender they feel like they are have hormonal problems,if a girl is flat chested-it doesn't mean she's not a girl. if a guy has breasts-it doesn't mean he's not a guy. hormones happen.

• i am accepting of the LGBT community, have plenty of friends who are part of it. but I would want to know early on, if my partner was transgendered. switching over must have been such a huge event in his/her life. so much of him/her is tied up in those feelings of not identifying with his/her gender. I would want to know about it because that's who he/she is. I don't know how I would feel about dating someone who was female-to-male. it would require a lot of introspection and thought.

• I kinda agree about the openness. I don't have a problem with them, but I'd want to know from the start if you changed gender in terms of dating. If we weren't dating, flirting, etc then that's fine you can keep it to yourself. But if we start to consider more than friends, you bet your ass I'll have a problem with you not telling me.

• I don't have anything against them. If anything, I respect them a lot more, for what it seems like something that can be pretty tough to go through. And the fact that you say you don't like them because their no open about it? Why is that of any of your concern? Obviously, yes the best thing you could do if you're in a relationship, is best to be open about something like that, but just to announce to the whole goddamn world, is a little much. Plus, being a transgender is not just something you ask for, you're born like that. Whether it's a female born with male parts and vice versa.

• they can live their life how they want.