Do you travel to meet online dates and after how long?

i started talking to this guy online today, did not realize that even though he is from my area he works a two hour plane ride away-his profile was a bit misleading.

he called me and we spoke on the phone for two hours. then he asked me to fly to meet him. after one conversation! and when I said I can't because I have responsibilities right now he got mad at me and said I have a bad attitude, basically.

wtf! I do not feel comfortable traveling to meet someone I spoke to once! this is not normal is it?

i agree that it's stupid to make a profile and not meet people but flying to meet someone is a much bigger and more expensive commitment, I think it is unreasonable to expect that after one phone conversation. this guy screams red flag

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people are just crazy online. Flying over to meet someone is a big commitment.

However, I do try to meet people quickly online(locals we're talking here) as many girls just want to chat online and never meet up and it is a waste of time. But I usually plan out a meet that works with both of our schedules. A phone conversation is preferred but I still force myself to remain understanding to the fact that many people online have social problems and are uncomfortable talking on the phone.

I honestly feel that if you can't meet someone either based on their profile or after messaging a little bit that you should take down your profile then as you will be wasting a lot of guys' time and will be considered another one of those girls who just want attention over the internet to make themselves feel better.

What Guys Said 8

• No, I'd never travel a long distance to meet some person you don't really know at all. It's already dangerous even without traveling! At least if it's a local person you can tell what their knowledge is of local places, so you have some idea if they are genuine.

• There are plenty of normal people on dating sites (including you it would seem), but for a lot of people, there's a reason they aren't successful with dating in the real world, and this guy does not sound like an exception. He definitely has some issues, so it's probably a good thing that you didn't go.

• you have two problems now. the expenses and the complete and utter danger. when you are in your town you could call hundreds of people plus the police to get you out of trouble or dangerous situation but there who'd you call? and why isn't he the one flying to you? plus it seems he's the one with attitude problem.

• Meeting up with someone isn't a big deal. What I usually do is talk to a girl online for a few days, if the conversation is good, I get her number. I text and call her a bit, and then I arrange for us to meet at a cafe. Anywhere safe and in public is fine. All of this happens in a week or two. I really see no reason to wait more than that or invest so much time into someone you don't even know you're going to hit it off with.

Also, guys get mad when they're rejected. It's normal. Is it right? Not really. The poor guy just needs to learn when to hold em and when to fold em.

• TSA's gonna love you JK

• I guess he was kidding..

• oh he was not kidding he seriously got angry at me.

• Im sosorry that but I'm worried bout his IQ...

• yeah what if he murders you? Seriously, this is kinda weird.

• no I never take serious long relationship if its started by online dating sites. there are also online games where a male player and a female player can virtually date and marry. but ha ha why would I take it seriously ? I have had tons of virtual girlfriends and wives out there. and I never want to meet any of them. while in real life, I am busy making passes on girls and women.

• I went to a wedding that started out online and know of another girl who married a guy she met off of an online dating site. They do work when the right person comes along.

What Girls Said 11

• RED FLAG!

NEXT!

Seriously um who the hell does he think he is?! He wants to meet you that bad? Get a plane on yourself jerk!

It's totally unfair for him to project unrealistic expectations onto you. Not on.

Don't even bother with him. If he's snapping now imagine him on a date!

• Yes - he screams red flag. I would cut ties with this man. I agree with you in thinking that it's crazy to meet someone you just started chatting with - flying or not. Just because you chat with someone online, you still don't really know that person. Always be careful. Perform background checks.

• Yikes that seems like a way to find people and rape and kill them.

• That's really fishy. He should come to your area to visit.

• Don't do it.

• You did the right thing not to see him only after one phone conversation. Indeed red flag. I think the best is to meet up only after a few phone conversation

• I have before, after 3 weeks of speaking every day. I drove 2 and a half hours to see him.

• Pedo or rapist

• He sounds crazy I would never do that

but I feel like at one point if you make a connection you should, I met this guy online and we've been talking or about a year, and I feel like if I don't meet him soon I'll loosehim.

• Meeting someone from online is never the smartest idea. But if you were to meet someone it should be a long while before you agree to meet them not just one phone call. That's kind of creepy.

• I agree. And he seriously got angry at me for not dropping everything and flying a few hours to meet him. I said I have a lot of reponsibilities, health and family related mind you, and he told me my priorities are not straight! WTF

• I have been to a wedding where the couple met online. As long as a person is smart online dating works.

• lol, no, that' lame and not smart at all.