Dating a single parent

Would you date a single parent? Is so would you include the kids in your date?

Most Helpful Girl

• My ex/whatever we are right now [lol] is a single parent. When I fell in love with him, I fell in love with his little boy too. His son was with us on most outings in our relationship, including our first time meeting up for a 'date'. I got close to his son very early on, he'd ask for me when I wasn't around, ask if I was on the phone when his dad would get a call, tell me he missed me when I'd be gone a day and show up again, tell me he loves me and give me hugs and kisses, get worried and want to cheer me up with snuggles if I was sad.

I fell easily into the 'stand-in mom' role with him. When we were living together, my guy would go to work every day [I'm on unemployment currently], and I would stay home with his son and do everything with him. Dressing, making meals, watching cartoons, playing, bonding, walking to the store/park, making playdates with him and his 'girlfriend' [he decided early on that my best friend's daughter was his girlfriend, and would tell everyone so, haha], bathtime, tucking him in to bed, etc.

I have no problem dating a single parent. But it does make some things a bit more complicated. Taking them with us on 'dates' and outings most of the time doesn't bother me. It doesn't allow for as much one-on-one alone time, but I can deal with that when I really care for the person. Having a babysitter or daycare to send the kid to every once in a while is definitely a plus, but I understand that it's not always financially practical. My guy had issues with this for a while in the early stages of our relationship, when he was trying to piece his life back together and find work/car/stable place to live, etc. But we made it work. It's for totally unrelated reasons that we're not technically together right now, though hopefully we will be again soon, once things work themselves out.

What Girls Said 2

• If I liked someone and they were then yes of course. I wouldn't include the kids in the beginning as I don't think it's appropriate. If we became an item and exclusive then yes of course I would then involve the kids!

• I don't think I would.

What Guys Said 3

• I've tried and it always ends up in a mess. A lot of them are still fighting with their ex, unable to go out due to the child a lot, secretly looking for someone to move in so they can get out of their parents' house,

I don't judge all single moms but I know some who are in really screwed up situations. I've even dodged some moms online when they'd immediately message me with their court problems and how they're fighting with their ex. One of my exes even got pregnant multiple times and the guy she finally didn't miscarriage with she cheated on as well.

The good single moms get it tough because of girls like the ones I described because they have such a bad reputation. The ones I describe are in their 20's. I don't know how it is 30's and up but I assume there will be more single mothers as the age ranges increase. But I assume they'll be more legitimate situations.

• I've never had much luck dating single parents, since they tend to gravitate towards other single parents and I don't have kids. Bringing the kids with you in the early stages is a big no-no; in fact, I personally don't even want to be meeting the kids for at least a few months.

• Yea I've read stories of girls bringing the kid on date one and it's like "What is she thinking!?"

• It actually happened to me once; she brought her three kids with her. They kept interrupting the conversation, asking when they could go home, etc. Such a disaster...

• No, I wouldn't.