At what age is it acceptable to do online dating?

Just a simple question really, what age do you think it becomes acceptable to start internet dating and why is that?

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's the problem. By starting online dating, you are portraying yourself as unattractive. Girls will wonder, what's wrong with this guy, can't he get girls in real life? Huge double standard, I know. But, even if you're not super charming in real life, approaching girls in real life is MUCH better than trying online dating. So I would say there's never an age where it's viewed as acceptable for a guy to start online dating.

• Perhaps...

• That is not true. I have plenty of friends who have gotten girlfriends, boyfriends, and marriages off of internet dating and there is nothing wrong with them at all.

Plus, if the girl interested in him, how else would he know without him saying anything that he is online dating unless she is on the site herself? While in person interaction is much better, having a profile up even if not active on it has nothing but benefits because it's just another chance you'll get messaged.

• Girls themselves admit that guys who are not 'pre-selected' are viewed as suspect. Some girls recognize that this is just irrational prejudice. Of course that doesn't prevent dates and relationships from occurring as a result of dating websites. Of course it doesn't.

What Guys Said 6

• I think the lowest legal age is 18. Just take safety precautions that the websites actually provide.

If you find a 12 year old let their parents know if you know them well or inform the website if you aren't that close to them. It'll save the potential date from a possible arrest and protect the child's safety.

• Good question. I would say 18 only because their are a lot of predators and fake profiles (underage, transexuals what have you.) I don't believe online dating to be intrinsically bad as he can sometimes be a lot less messy than dating in your social circles (having no one in common helps getting to know them and breaking up with them a calmer process.) I do think it can definitely be harmful and helps enable avoidant personalities to never take real risks as well as makes it easier for people to meet and manipulate others by exploiting the "comfort zone" of being behind a computer

• I personally would say anytime after age 21 or 22...

Prior to that, I'd assume that you'd be in school or whatever with ample opportunity to meet people...

After you finish school and go to work, there's just not that many times that you don't have the same chances to mingle with the opposite sex (as is my case).

So it's essentially for busy professionals in their late 20s - but if you're in your late teens/early 20s and still in school, I don't think there's much reason to join a dating site... I never joined one until I was 25 ;)

• I would say 18, but it depends on how aware the person is of online predators and their tactics in luring other people- whether they be teens of grown adults.

If a woman is 23 years old and completely oblivious to how online lurers act, then she probably shouldn't be going online to find a partner.

• Its acceptable whenever. Nobody really cares if you have an online dating profile. Its not a big deal. You don't even have to tell anyone that you've signed up. Anyone who sees your profile has one of their own, so they aren't in a position to judge.

• What about if they're 12? Wouldn't that seem a little odd?

• As far as I'm aware the limit of the sites is 18+. I agree that 12 would be odd, but I didn't really think you were asking about 12 year olds signing up with a fake age.

• 18 since you are legally an adult. But from what I have seen on pretty much all dating sites its pretty much all divorced single mothers in there 30's and 40's and guys my dad's age. With a few exceptions of course. Not many young people use them.

What Girls Said 6

• probably around late 30s or something because then nobody is lecturing them and they have the right to make their own decisions. also its the time when people feel scared that they won't ever get married, I think :/ but either way, I think any online dating is wrong. you never know who the real person is behind the computer or if whatever he says is actually his/her own words.

• 18 and up.

• 18

• 18 and up

• 18+

• I would say 18