Black girl going to school in England

Hi! So I am moving from America to go to University in England and I'm a tad bit nervous. I'm mainly nervous because I don't know how I'm gonna be perceived over there. I don't know if I will make any friends lol. I've had some people tell me that they are very racist against black people over there, which would suck. I'm really not a typical black girl, I'm not ghetto, I'm very tall and skinny and most people would describe me as an Oreo lol. I would also like to know how the dating scene over there would be. I date whoever I like without being slutty lol. Meaning I don't care about race. I just would like to calm my nerves about the whole thing. :)

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey, I live in the UK (northern england, around manchester). Racism here usually stops at around the high school level here. Most of the racism is focused on people from countries like iraq and pakistan, but it's usually only young kids and degenerates who have been fed this point of view by their parents. African decent black people are rarely the target. At university level, you will most likely never be discriminated on for being black. A huge chunk of students in universities here in the UK are from different ethnic backgrounds, mostly from china and india, but there are still a good number of black students here. Also, people usually tend to stick to their ethnic groups when hanging out (probably just because of cultural differences). But, being a student myself, pretty much everyone I know is up with being friends with anyone, so long as you're a nice person. People don't always come to you either, a lot of the British people at unis will be coming along with friends from their college, so you may have to find a social group to jump into. The dating scene is probably like anywhere else really, there are a lot of single people, so everyone mingles. Though some areas and universities do have a bigger party life than other (namely essex university). If you're going to study in the top 5 unis (like imperial, oxbridge), they are VERY diverse.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think it's that they're racist it's just that they have a reputation for thinking they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. They think they're better than everybody, just look at Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell, that fat guy who is doing that new game show, etc.

That's not to say there aren't nice British people, I've been there several times and actually have in-laws that are British, it seems the further away from the city you get the nicer the people are.

My sister in-law and her daughter (my niece) were living here for about a year, my niece went to school here and despite being shy, managed to get in with a group of friends.

• I've never heard a white person here even associate a black girl with "ghetto". In my city, black people have existed here since the 1700's and they're considered British and get along with anyone else here without a problem. There doesn't seem to generally be any devision unless they make it, I even have some black British friends that state they wouldn't like to go to the USA because they think they're racist over there (they're words) and even many stated that they haven#t experienced racism at all. But still generally I don't think were any more racist than anywhere else, it still depends on the individuals

• There are plenty of black guys there now, so you'll have what you like. Plenty of everything else too. I hear London doesn't even look like a European city anymore.

• England isn't very racist in general. Young people are even less racist. You shouldn't worry.

• Depends on where you go. London is highly multicultural, and is perfectly fine.

Up north in places like Manchester, it's a little tougher, but not bad.

You're more likely to get grief for being American, than for being black.

What Girls Said 1

• "I'm really not a typical black girl, I'm not ghetto" that's says everything smh