Why sign up for dating sites "just for friends?"

I'd like to know why girls do this.

There are even profiles of girls "seeing someone" who still want to meet guys off of dating sites. To me that is asking for trouble and I figure the only guys that would contact such a girl would either hope to steal her from the guy she is seeing or just hook up with her.

Please keep in mind I'm not referring to uncommitted dating. I'm talking about profiles that specifically say friends only.

Most Helpful Girl

• Seeing someone doesn't mean that you're in a serious relationship. Just because you're casually dating a guy doesn't mean you can't find someone else. Some women put "just friends" so as to lower the expectation of a potential guy they date. Because if you put "fun" then he may automatically expect sex when you're not even sure about him yet, or if you put "relationship" then he's thinking you want something serious.

What Girls Said 8

• Realize that guys do just as weird things on dating sites as girls. I can't tell you how many guys I've started communicating with who put on their profile they were looking for a relationship but all they managed to do was text me. That's definitely not a relationship to me. If a guy is not really interested in meeting you then why waste time & energy texting you?

• Did they tell you firsthand that they could only text you? Did you ask them to quit texting and move on to the next stage?

• I've texted girls before and never met them. It's because I found out things about them that made me change my mind about meeting them. So I stopped talking to them.

I've also talked to girls and when I suggested meeting them because they looked like a good match, they'd give me the excuse that they met some crazy guy and it scared them. Plenty of girls waste guys time online.

• It would make sense if they learned something about me and lost interest and therefore stopped texting, but some guys continue to text. What's up with that?

A girl has to be cautious with online dating because it's easier for us to get physically hurt by some psycho. But granted not all gals have the guts to meet in the first place.

• in case their friends see them on the site and call them desperate, to make friends in a new area if theyve moved house although I personally find that a bit weird to use a dating site for, to cheat on their boyfriend in a way that if he saw the profile she could argue "oh I'm just talking to girls and making friends I'm not cheating"

• Craigs is the easiest to cheat with. I've been contacted by married and engaged women on there. It's scary. You don't need an account to reply to an ad on it.

• oh I don't know, in my country we don't have craiglist

• I'd say one reason is they're embarrassed to admit that they want a new guy and need to resort to dating sites. Dating websites have a negative stigma, as seen in your comment.

• Yea while I have met good girls on it I have mostly met problem girls and married people constantly creep the sites trying to hunt for sex and such.

• Embarrassed about using dating sites? That is so a few years ago.. I'm embarrassed for anyone who is embarrassed about using dating sites. As far as I'm concerned the embarrassing thing is to be embarrassed by this such trivial thing. If one is comfortable and not embarrassed about using dating sites, then they have no reason to be embarrassed about.

• People are embarrassed by things much more trivial than dating sites, and things much more important as well.

• I don't understand it either. Of all the places on the internet, they go to a dating site to make friends. No one wants to make friends on a dating site, they want to either hook up or date. It pisses everyone off.

• Not me. I'm there for dating..or was. I deleted my profile.

• Maybe they are really looking for friends.

• I wouldn't take face value to that. It's just another way to say "let's be friends first but if you're hot, I might want to have fun with you... who knows".

• I don't do that

What Guys Said 6

• Because they're selfish perhaps? Or maybe because they're idiots. ..probably selfish idiots. Harsh? Don't care I'm being honest. It's a dating site. They are actually officially marketed as dating sites and their official purpose is to help single people enter into relationships with other single people.

These girls should not be registered on these sites - most likely they are open to the idea of banging some other dude (in which case they should use one of those 'discreet hookup' sites), and yet keeping their relationship going, or perhaps they want to look for someone else to bang while still going with whoever they're going with, and if the person they start banging looks like a better option they will leave the poor schmuck and start going with the bit on the side. Maybe this is the case but the girl themselves don't entirely know it because they're repressing or in denial or something, but most likely they know what they're doing.

Maybe some of them genuinely are just on there to meet friends... but it's a sketchy, unconvincing and lame excuse really given that there is a well known site called meetup.com specifically for that purpose and I expect there are more sites of that nature.

So really... there's not really a convincing argument these girls can make that they are not betraying their apparent partner.

• Yea entering a relationship with a girl who doesn't take down her profile seems sketchy.

• Most who put it don't really want a simple friendship. How many people do you know of who met someone on an online dating site and actually became friends afterwards? "Just for friends" is plausible deniability

• I've wondered the same thing myself. I'd email some of them to ask, but they would confuse my email with being interested.

• confuse it? you mean trick themself into thinking interest so they can feel better about themselves

• it's just a code phrase for "tell me I'm pretty"

• Let's just cumulatively agree that girls who do this cannot read and that "sex" and "friendship" are kind of a package deal?

• That's merely a cop-out she can tell guys she can't take from. She's there for dating.