Should the guy always pay for the date? Or should a woman expect to pay for her own tab.

This is a much debated subject in 2013. I am curious about everyone's opinion...

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll pay if I asked her to the date myself, but if she offers half I'll consider it.

Thing for me is I start small which may put a girl off. I'll invite her to coffee so I can get to know her but a lot of girls feel like a guy offering a coffee date is an "interview" when it really isn't. It can get deal breakers out of the way if any and genuinely help in getting to know someone. Why waste money on a dinner if I don't know her? You'll be stuffing your face with food with no real time to talk. A movie's even dumber because you two are just sitting at a screen and never talking. I'll consider those things after I get to know her. Girls wanting to do those kinds of things before getting to know me send off a gold digger red flag. I've lost count as to how many girls I have lost contact with. Thankfully I never wasted money on them since they aren't dating material.

What Guys Said 5

• I always pay, hate letting the girl pay...

• I will always pay, its the right thing for a man to do.

• No a guy shouldn't pay for all the dates. Both should take turns paying. It's just the right thing to do.

• If a girl and I have had two or three dates and she hasn't even offered to pay once, I won't date her again, especially since I date only girls who have the same approximate economic status that I do. There's no excuse really.

• Whoever asked should pay, or at least be prepared to pay. It is fine if the other person insists on paying their share. This is especially true on a first date, but can also remain true if one person makes a lot more money and keeps inviting the other person on really expensive dates.

If both people make about the same amount they should both be putting in effort and treating each other from time to time. Or let one person pay for one part of the date, but insist on paying for another part. Most guys don't mind paying, but we don't want to feel used. So we just want to see an effort on the girls part. A lot of people may also feel bad about the other person always paying, so if one person makes a lot more money it is a good idea to pick cheaper dates so they don't risk making the poorer person feel like they aren't pulling their weight.

I think most of the guys that complain about paying tend to be guys that just want to find something to complain about. I have never had an issue with paying for a girl. Normally they make a very strong issue to show they will pull their own weight. Often a woman will try too hard, and it looks like they are afraid of feeling like they owe the guy something if they let him pay. They guy can then think she wasn't interested in him and wants to leave in such a way that she doesn't owe him anything. People tend to over think these things and make it harder than it needs to be.

What Girls Said 6

• i don't think the guy should always pay for the dates, he's not her piggy bank. if he WANTS to do it out of his own loving generosity then that's awesome, but I will usually pay for myself. ill also pay sometimes.

relationships are give and take. you just both gotta do your bit I reckon=] that's the reason why dramas happen. one does more than the other. its much easier said than done but if relationships avoided this tendency for greediness, there would be so much love in the air that even wrestlers would get all soft on the inside:P

• ive always pay for myself. but if he insist, id let him pay and id treat him next time.

• i usually insist on paying for myself. a morning after I slept over at a guy's, he went to class then I asked if he wanted to go to IHOP afterward. the waitress accidentally put it on the same receipt and I asked her to split it up. he kept saying he wanted to pay but I wanted to pay for myself and playfully argued. he was like "she's mad at me. she won't let me pay". "uh no if I was mad at you I'd make you pay" hahaha

generally though, I think that whoever asks the other on the date should pay.

• I usually always pay for my own food, and I really don't mind paying for his either if it is at a normal place.. I hate it when people pay for anything for me, this comes from when I was little and parents had a hard time making money and they struggled a lot, so I always want to "provide" for myself or others..

But I dated a guy who made a lot of money and he sometimes wanted to go these crazy places ( I hate fancy things for some reason and would rather eat at home, but he loved it..) and being a student I couldn't pull out that much money for food, so he would pay for me, eventhough I felt horrible, but it was his choice...

• depends on who you ask. I think you should pay for yourself,or at least go dutch/alternate. but,a lot of guys want to pay,and a lot of girls expect it.

• I don't mind paying for my own dinner. From time to time but, If he insists on paying. Then I'll let him pay for my dinner.