Am I the only person who thinks like this?

I'm 20 and extremely shy, so I've had a lot of problems making friends and of course, dating. I've never even kissed a guy. I have a friend who I like. we've known each other for several years and recently started talking again after going to college and losing touch. Even though we live kind of far away from each other, we've gotten really close and I know he likes me too because a friend told me he does. But neither of us are saying anything.

He's one of the nicest, sweetest guys I've ever met. He's the type of guy who would do anything for the girl he's with. I knew him when he had a girlfriend before and he was an amazing boyfriend to her until she just decided one day that she didn't want to be with him anymore and hurt him. He said he had bought her a $5,000 engagement ring. He has told me several times that he can't wait to settle down and get married. He likes having someone to take care of and is a serious relationship kind of guy.

I know I really should just go for it and not complain about finding someone like this. But I'm really scared of this happening with him because I feel like I'm nowhere near ready to get serious with someone when I've only been on a few dates in my life. I see my friends just dating guys for fun and not to potentially be with for the rest of their lives and sometimes I feel like I need to do that before I start dating someone like my friend.

Maybe this is a really stupid way to think about this, but am I the only one? And should I go for it with this guy or not?

What Guys Said 1

• You're really over-analyzing this situation. If you like the guy and want to get to know him better on a romantic level, go for it. If the timing is right and you're compatible, things will work out. If not, they won't. What's the big deal?

What Girls Said 1

• Take the leap of faith and just do it. Why go on a bunch of pointless dates, which may never go anywhere, when you have someone you're already interested in? Going on dates won't prepare you for a relationship. He likes you, you like him I really don't see anything to fear. Give it a shot :)