Why get college textbooks?

so I'm back at school and the big debate has started: should I even bother with textbooks?

last year I didn't even touch my textbooks (that I spent over $300 on) and then they wouldn't even take them back at the end of the semester!

i know I'll get SOME but for classes like art history and fashion sewing I feel like simple note taking would suffice.

so should I bother getting ALL the required text?

also, do YOU usually get all (if any) of the required text?

Most Helpful Guy

• I learned it was pretty ideal to read the syllabus before seeing how much of the textbook was actually needed for the class. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Without having the textbook with me, I don't think I would have done as well in college. It was just helpful to have it right there when I needed it. And I find that it's far easier to have an actual book to study with than a digital PDF.

Now that I'm done with college, I'm glad that I held on to most of my textbooks instead of selling them all away. It's good to have that information to refer back to for the rest of your life. I regret selling some of my textbooks; I wish I still had them because your brain isn't capable of remembering everything you learned from your past.

What Guys Said 8

• Well, you could always start off not getting them, but if it becomes apparent that any classes will actually involve the textbook, then you could see about either buying new, buying used, or seeing what they have at the relevant campus library. Or you could always photocopy from a friend or sympathetic peer.

• Depends on the class honestly. I bought my huge Physics book and most of my books for my engineering classes. I like having a hard copy and pdf of those. Everything else ill find the pdf of or just find an older edition. Some classes I've passed just by going of notes.

• If you have friends in those classes you can contribute towards a copy and borrow it. Offer to pay 25% but to let them keep the book at the end, which compensates for the other 25% in buyback, so essentially it's half-off with no loss on your part rather than 75% off with a loss on your part of 25%.

• I used to get them all.

Given I skipped most of my classes, they were fairly important ...

• i never bother with textbooks when I was in high school, I did poretty well got my credits, however never college except for yoga just for friends. So basically just do thes best you can unless youy have a bad teacher then that would be the problem, but no you don't have to just do the best you can.

• Just torrent them if you really need them.

• Just pirate them... You can likely find most of your books in PDF by just doing a Google search.

• Never mind, you're taking fashion sewing...

• im also taking courses like history of western art, business models, and fashion design research. would those pdf's be online possibly?

• Usually I torrent the e-book. If there is a lab manual or something that I absolutely have to have, then I'll buy it. And even then it's off AbeBooks or I rent them from Amazon for way cheaper than on campus.

Screw the college bookstores, they profit off naive kids who think they can't get them elsewhere. I rented a book off Amazon for $30 and I saw it for sale in the bookstore for $170

What Girls Said 5

• I always bought my books. As a music major, most of the books came with workbooks that were used as weekly assignments counting towards a significant part of my grade. For most of them, I just went on amazon or eBay and found cheaper copies. Sometimes they are also available at the bookstore so be sure to check out your local bookstore.

For example, last year I took an orchestral conducting course and the material was $800 in the store and not counting my baton which was $100. I went to a music shop where they had the same thing for $200 and I got a baton for $25.

However, some courses may require computer software. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THAT. Most software is linked to a database that the professor uses to grade you, because you'll do assignments on the software and it will be submitted online. I used a pirated version of the software for one class because the legit one was $250. I was not able to submit anything online and I failed the course.

So save money by getting used books, purchasing from amazon or the regular store at the mall, and use some of your savings to buy legitimate class software if you need it.

• I always just went to Amazon to get my books, was almost always cheaper.

Then at the end of the semester I'd sell them back to Amazon, you get more money doing that then selling them back to the bookstore.

• If you feel you're going to need them in the future, then buy them. I wouldn't buy them at the school bookstore though. They love to rip us off. Check amazon or something. Theyre usually cheaper there. If you're OK with e books, torrent them. I personally don't like e books. I prefer to keep the hard copy but I torrent anyway meanwhile I order the books. I like to keep my books, unless I don't like the subject.

• Well I do get required text, because I'm in this school program that gives me about 200 dollars for textbooks bought at the book store. If its not enough for all my books I buy the rest online they're way cheaper.

• Yes if you wanna get A's? I mean, I'm not that smart. I have to read all the required readings to get good marks... D:

I always end up getting crappy marks if I don't read them..