Would you date someone with tattoos if it was against your religion?

Today, my brother asked out a girl. She comes from a very religious (Christian) family. Her response was that her father wouldn't allow her to date anyone who has tattoos because there's a verse in the bible that 'states' that you should not mark your body (I forget the verse).

His tattoo is actually religious (praying hands with a rosary) but I guess he didn't care.

Would this be a deal breaker if your potential boyfriend/girlfriend had tattoos yet your religion did not allow it?

Also, I have tattoos myself (6) and I'm interested in a girl who comes from the same background but this made me rethink things.

*Please no flaming because of someone's religion*

Most Helpful Guy

• Leviticus 19:28 (Amplified) which says, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.”

There are also verses about witchcraft that mention tattoos as well I think.. or it's commonly interpreted that way but I don't remember.

I don't have a religion but I know tons of Christians with tattoos. I don't think it's considered very sinful nowadays by the mainstream. If I was religious though and it was against my religion it would depend on how conservative I was about my beliefs. If I was religious I think I would be more moderate in my beliefs so I probably wouldn't care a hell of a lot.

What Girls Said 18

• I explicitly don't have tattoos and I'm not a huge fan. It's biblically rooted for me...I've loosened up since though.

My boyfriend has a tattoo and I adore it.

I admit, not for biblical reasons but tattoos usually turn me off. Boyfriend is an exception especially because I not only tolerate but love his tattoo.

I've learned that your body being a temple has much more to do with health than tattoos.

After all, the Sistine chapel is after all a church. ^__^

• Ack redundancy on that last line. I realized right after I clicked submit.

"The Sistine Chapel is afterall a church.", is how it should be. [And therein a temple of God]

• Their body, their choice.

• It shouldn't matter really. In my religion, people don't like tattoos and people with tattoos are judged badly.

But I have 9 tattoos :D and I don't care what people think, as long as I'm happy with myself.

There are plenty of people to choose from, if you happen to like a girl and her family don't like you because of your tattoos, find another girl :P. I guess she would tell you up front if there's any concern on tattoo/family's perception etc

• I don't think it's pretty but I would if he didn't have a wild personality.

• I don't judge a person because they have tattoos, a lot of people I know have them and It don't bother me a bit

• Lol, that girl sounds like she's probably really annoying. He should be glad he dodged that bullet.

I think tattoos are cheesy. I have nothing against them from a moral standpoint, I just don't like them. But I would date a guy with tattoos.

• What is religion nowadays?

• My former religion was a lot like that. They didn't say that people couldn't date people with tattoos, but it was frowned upon.

If I really liked the person, then it wouldn't really matter to me as long as they weren't covered with tattoos.

• I wouldn't date anyone if it was against my religion

• It does say in the bible that tattoos are prohibited, but most christians nowadays don't follow their bible to the letter. They would be rightfully put in prison if they did. Maybe she just doesn't like tattoos anyway and uses religion as an excuse.

• It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Love is blind.

• I am devoted to my religion but I don't follow exactly what the teachings said if it doesn't make sense to me. Tattoos is fine for me ..I don't judge people based on what they have on their bodies.

• It is fine for me

• No I would not.

• I wouldn't reject someone because of tattoos. I'm christian and I guess my religion also says that, but it depends on each persons degree of piousness because I actually like some ink to a certain degree. I'm not being a heathen but that's just me. So I guess it's just the girls choice in relation to how strict her father is and her desire to have all of his approval. All girls from Christian background won't be like that. So you don't really need to rethink anything, you just have to try still and see how religious is the girl in whom you are interested.

• Agree: Especially since tattoos do not show somebody's heart. I know many evangelicals with tattoos. Most of them got their tattoos before they converted and now, they can't just make it undone. It would be very cold hearted to refuse somebody for this.

• Don't blame the girl totally though. She may want to date your brother but if she lives under her father's roof that could be a big deal. Some parents go as far as to sever ties with their children when they are displeased and maybe she is fearful of that.

• I would never get tattoos only because of my religious beliefs, but I would date someone who has tattoos. Everyone has different beliefs. I would never judge anyone for what they believe only because everyone was raised differently. Plus, I think guys with tattoos are HAWT!

• Heck yes I would!...

• yes, becuase I know that I don't follow my religion perfectlu

What Guys Said 6

• Now at this moment you fear loosing something or someone special. A tattoo always steals from the person sporting it. More than likely her father is a man God is proud of. You have the woman of your dreams who is promised to God and you sport a logo telling the world your love of Lucifer.

Sporting a tattoo is not being judged it is a sin or open act of disobedience to God.

There is no way you can explain that you did not know that a tattoo would cut your opportunities in half and turn away good people. It does not matter if they are religious or if they follow God somewhere in the mix you know a tattoo is forbidden.

No, I would not date a woman who sports art work against my faith. A prostitute has a better chance with me for marriage than a woman with a tat.

It is not just the tattoo and religion it is the history and how people were tattooed to steal God from them and then killed. It is the girls now today who are forced into prostitution and advertisement is tattooed on their back side telling the property owner and easy access point. It is every person in prison has to display their love of ignorance and Lucifer. It is the fact that a tattoo is a prayer to Lucifer because God said "no".

The relationship between your brother and girl will not work and it has nothing to do with religion but everything to do with God. The father possibly has a thought that goes something like this. For in my house all will serve and praise the Lord.

There are jokes about Christians, some have abortions, drink, commit adultery, kill, steal and yes spit in the face of God - then call themselves Christians and be the first in line. Why do you think there was a time when Christians were put to death and fed to the lions?

Some people hate tattoos, it is in their blood or they know what it means to the soul and spirit, then there are some that love tattoos. One side follows letter of God the other is religious and change the rules as it pleases them.

Tattoos in the US do not need to exist. A tattoo always means poor judgment. Many employers bypass the person with a tattoo. The stranger on the street sees a person with a tat and does not know if they hate God, out of prison, have poor judgment. Cannot see tomorrow. All these thoughts are unnecessary and can and will bring up an evil or negative experience. A tattoo creates something that does not need to exist, a poor judgment call of the person sporting it.

• It's also forbidden to eat shellfish and wear clothes made from blended fiber fabrics.

The more devout someone claims to be, the more of a hypocrite they are. I avoid such people at all costs.

• For me, as a guy, and as a Christian, I would just move on if she said no. I probably wouldn't be all that interested anyway.

I don't know... it depends on the religion and how "devoted" I was to it; my circles and culture.

I might not DATE someone who had them all over the face and body, but I'd easily be friends with them. A few tattoos depending on placement and where they are is fine.

I'm curious though as to her answer to another guy who she was more attracted to if he had tattoos. I somehow think it'd be more OK or she'd hide it from the dad. But, whatever reason she gives, even if it's phony, well... ya just move on.

• I know many evangelicals who have tattoos. They converted late in their life, when they were already "marked" all over, but that's nothing that could just be removed. Who am I that I can judge? God judges, not we.

A tattoo is on somebody's skin and doesn't reveal the heart.

What could be an issue for the girl is the fact, that - if I got you right - your brother is not Christian. It's very hard to organise a life together if you don't share such deep-going values. On a long term a similar world view is extremely important to make a relationship/marriage work.

• I was raised in a conservative religion that was opposed to tattoos along with alcohol, and smoking... I am not a member any longer. Regardless of leaving my former religion I still won't date someone who has a tattoo or smokes. It isn't based on religion but on I view them as bad choices. Just my 2 cents.

• I don't have a religion so it's hard for me to answer, but I guess I would say I would still date them because it's just ink, it's not really going to hurt me, or themselves.