Best Relationships Start Off As Friendships?

What do you think? Would you rather be friends with someone first for like a year or so, getting to know each other and being completely comfortable before you start dating (with not having intentions to date to begin with).

Orrrrr... Would you rather meet someone and immediately date them and get to know them along the way?

I'm starting a relationship out of a friendship (although I've liked the guy for about a year now...he was in a relationship when we first met...) and I just want to know what you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been dating a guy for 7 months. Before we got into a relationship, we were close friends for 2 years. The whole 2 years, both of us were crazy about each other, but too scared to say anything because we didn't wanna make things weird between us. I'd have to sit and listen to his girl problems, which was terribly painful and he'd have to do the same with my guy problems. He's in the Marines and came home for pre-deployment leave earlier this year. I hadn't seen him in over a year and he took me to lunch. As soon as we saw each other we knew that we were supposed to be together.

So now, I'm dating my best friend which is amazing. He's been there for me every time I've been screwed over so he knows exactly what I don't need in a guy and I'm the kind of girl he needs. He treats me perfectly. I believe that your significant other shouldn't just be your bf/gf...they should be your best friend.

• awwwww how cute! Makes me feel like I do have a chance to make it despite what everyone says :) Thank you for the reassurance!

• no problem:) hope it works out!

What Guys Said 2

• Absolutely!

• Friendships are the worst starting places. Subconscious cues and expectations tend to poison the well long before they take off. Growing into a relationship often works best in my opinion simply because what you thought you knew about your friends will have an adverse effect when it's the total opposite as well as being subjected to the things you did know that didn't effect you as much ( for instance, they are messy ) because you didn't have to experience their disorder first hand.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm 21 years old and have had 7 relationships, and about half of them started off as friendships. Those relationships went much smoother and were much more fulfilling, and now I don't like to have it any other way. :)

I will say this... a few years ago, I started dating my close guy friend. The night he asked me out, he went to drop me off at home afterward, and when we pulled up he got out of the car to say goodbye. So we hugged and then he kissed my cheek. And I was so used to him being just my friend that I was thinking "huh... that'll take some getting used to." Haha getting kissed was so different. But I did get used to it and we had a wonderful relationship. It's totally worth the brief period of awkwardness in the beginning.

• all guys I've been in a serious relationship with were first friends! I think its better that way because then you get to know each other thoroughly before entering a relationship. Sooner or later you'll find yourself not being able to be without that person and all the annoying things they do ha ha ^^

When we find someone we're attracted to everything is fun and exciting at the begin, but then you just can't stand that person because he wasn't the way you thought he would be or seemed to be. I'm speaking from experience!

• I started a relationship as a friendship... we got married... and divorced.

He didn't love me like that. That's why he was able to stay just friends for so long before deciding to go for more.

If you like the guy, follow your desires, be honest and straight forward. Friendship is a PART of a good relationship, but the spark, the love, the sex is all important too.