How long do you plan to meet family members of the person you're dating?

Would you want to meet them days, weeks, months, or years after dating?

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't mind but if I could choose my parents wouldn't be meeting any more of mine unless I marry...then they'll meet him at the wedding.

What Girls Said 15

• I'll meet the guy's parents anytime he wants me to. Adults love me because I'm sweet and polite, :) But I wouldn't have a guy meet my parents until it's a serious thing, so maybe weeks or months.

• I am single but it wouldn't matter to me

• I'm currently in that stage, still thinking. Maybe soon. I just hope and I think I'm confident enough. :}

• 1 year+, lol, awkwarddd

• Months seems appropriate.

• Definitely not years but not days either. I'd say about a month or so

• Months, maybe 3 or 4. When i'm sure it's serious

• Not weeks. I think a month or two would be good, but it all depends how comfortable you are with her first. You want to be comfortable with her before you bring her to your parents.

• In a high school relationship there's nothing really you need to keep hidden so I would say days to weeks into the relationship. But if you're older and trying to settle down and have a family things might get more serious. When you find that one girl to meet your family you want to make sure it's the right girl.

• After more than a few successful dates! And I would just do a drop in or a casual lunch nothing to where you have to stay with them too long. Then work in to more lengthy visits!

• I think after 3-4 months of serious dating

• I would say after 2 months I would want to be introduced as a friend first so I could bond with the family and get to know them. Then after a couple more months I would want to be introduced to their parents as a significant other. That way I can avoid any awkward tension arising by dropping a bomb like 'Here's my girlfriend/ boyfriend' and meeting them the first time.

• It really depends on the guy, the relationship, his relationship with his family and of course distance.

For instance- if he's close with his family, goes over there every other week for Sunday dinner, drops by now and then just to visit, talks to them through text and email etc., then I'd expect to meet them after a few weeks or a month. It's just natural, if he's that close to his family, then they're a huge part of his world and life and I'd want to see that. Plus, guaranteed anyone who doesn't get along with his family won't last long, so if he kept me from them I'd wonder.

BUT if a guy lives far away from his family or just isn't close to them, sees them two or three times a year and talks to them once a month, then I'd say I wouldn't meet them for months or even a year. It depends, if we've been dating about 6 months and it's time for his annual visit, I'd probably want to meet them unless they have some kind of tortured relationship that would make it awkward. Or if he's going home for a funeral or something- not the best time to meet the family.

With me, it depends on the member of the family how long I wait to introduce them. I live close to all my family and I generally get along with them, but I'm not close to all of them. Any guy I date will probably meet my brother and sister-in-law after a month at most. That's because we're genuinely friends as well as family and because my brother's opinion matters a lot to me and he's a REALLY good judge of character. My sister on the other hand- she's a bit off the wall and we have a love-hate relationship, so it might be a month, it might be 3 before a guy meets her. My parents, probably two months or so, mostly because I don't tend to bring guys home unless I think they're going to last awhile...

• I'll meet his parents whenever. I let mine meet my last boyfriend and it was a terrible mistake. I learned my lesson and won't let them meet anyone from now on.

What Guys Said 1

• I don't really mind, I usually leave it up to her... Talking to parents is usually something I'm good at so I'm happy to do it at any point. Only real time I'd push to meet them is if it had been a few years and I was considering proposing. I mean I'd prefer to be traditional and get her parents approval before I asked.