Would you rather date a formal mental patient or a former prison inmate?

I will leave out the specifics (why they were institutionalized), but they served their time, released properly and they're in your age group. Assume they're not at-risk to get locked up again, the mental patient is stable, etc...but they do have a record.

Just curious as to who would be stigmatized more in the dating world: the mentally ill or criminals. If you're gonna say "NEITHER!" just don't bother answering, thanks.

• Mental patient
  • Prison inmate
lol if all you are gonna do it say "it depends" then let's say the mental patient was locked up because he was psychotic and assaulted a mailman. The inmate was not psychotic but he assaulted a mailman. Same thing but "different circumstances"...happy now

Most Helpful Guy

• It definitely depends on the circumstances but most likely not. One, I don't trust criminals even those who have said they've changed their ways. Just a trust issue on my part.

As for the person who went to a mental hospital, I would date them if they were 100% better. I have a family member who ended up there but made a complete recovery after a few months (though they do have to take medications).

What Girls Said 7

• I'd date both unless either one killed someone. Or if one of them is a klepto- I don't honk it would work either.

• The question is - which one is less likely to hit women?

As long as they're nice and non-violent, I would date them.

• prisoner!

• Inmate lol mentals are to unpredictable Xp

• It completely depends on the situation. Are they still ill, and if they are, would their illness cause them to be danger to somebody else. Just like with the person in prison, were they there because they were in possession of weed, or were they there because they raped a child. And, also, a lot of the times criminals are mentally ill. And, I've been hospitalized before, so I know that most mental patients don't in fact really need to be there. Generally, only a TINY amount of them are actually dangerous. It really just depends.

• Well, I would obviously go with the prison inmate, because I would be less afraid of them attacking me if they have another psychotic episode.

• Yeah didn't really think this question through admittedly, just was curious whether people viewed the mentally ill or criminals worse. The premise was that both are corrected but the record is there. Ah well it's like 3 AM lol

• Lmao nah, it's all right. :) But, I think as a whole people view mentally ill people worse than criminals. Mainly because most people lack empathy, and don't seem to realize that most people who are unstable aren't the worst kind of monsters out there. I mean, you won't believe how many people have called me crazy, while everybody thought this guy who went to locked up was some cool little gangster. Ah, well.

• This isn't a black and white question.And you certainly cannot suggest to people how to answer it.Specifics would be necessary before properly responding such a question.Othrrwise,my response WILL be NEITHER.

• It would depend on WHAT the person went prison for...and what type of MMENTAL illness are we talking about?

• If they went to prison, the full sentence was served and they were released properly. If they're your age (idk your actual age but most people here are in their 20's) then they obviously didn't go to prison for murder (20 year minimum sentence). The mental illness doesn't matter if they're stable now.

• Lol...Nancy Drew.Your sarcasm is unecessary.Excuse me for actually using my brain.Anyway,I'm off to another thread.I'm assuming you thought your question was intelligent and well thought out.Not so much.FAIL.

• yeah lol

What Guys Said 3

• I would go for a mental patient more rather than a prisoner considering that they've served time and went there for a reason, as for the mental patient I'm assuming s/he had no control over what they've done as their not their former self. Plus it would feel pretty good if you were with a mental patient and actually managed to be the "one" who helps them make a full recovery, the one that was there for you y'know.

• Who beats up the mailman?

• Crazy people or low-lives

• The inmate gives off a "naughty girl" vibe... fine by me!