What's it like to have mono (kissing disease)?

I'm curious about it. I've heard about mono when I was a kid but it seems kind of rare. at least you don't really hear people talking about it that much.

what are the symptoms?

Most Helpful Guy

• You've had a head cold right? So you know what that's like.

Have you had the flu? It's basically like a head cold on some really strong steroids right?

Well, having mono is like having the flu on really strong steroids, I had it a few years ago, it was the most miserable experience of my life.

What Guys Said 5

• Ihad this as a teenager. It has symptoms involving a lack of energy. You are't exactly tired, but you always feel like sleeping, even though you are too awake and not tired in that way. You can't focus on getting any task finished.

Usually, it is over after a few months.

• Something like the flu but you will be much more tired.

• It's some kind of herpes virus you get from oral contact, thus from kissing. It has similar flu symptoms when it matures in your body like a fever, sore throat and fatigue. It's not really life threatening though.

• I got it when I was 18. I had high fever, extreme lack of energy, pretty much bedridden and a monstrously sore throat that made eating very difficult. It lasted several weeks, I lost a lot of weight - like 40lbs. It sucked bad!

• It's basically a sleeping disease. You feel like sh*t and you are so fatigued you can't do anything for like a month or two. Also, it never leaves your body. So the symptoms can relapse and you can spread it to others.

What Girls Said 3

• I've never had it but I had a close friend who did. She just got really, really tired and her throat hurt a lot. She missed like 2 weeks of school.

• I had it my freshman year in college. it was HORRIBLE. for me it was like having strep mixed with a month long flu. my throat was so swollen I had to get a steroid shot in my hip to bring down the swelling because lying on my back my tonsils were gagging me... and being tired ...wow...it was unreal. during this time we were moving and I was unable to help move. My mom asked me to move like 4 boxes from the old house to the new one and they were like 5 miles apart. Loading those boxes into the car, driving to the new house and bringing them in the house wiped me out for like 3 hours I had to sleep. it was crazy.

thankfully after they gave me the steroid shot? I was all better, they told me "you'll feel fine but you aren't so don't overdo it" I wish they'd have given me the shot earlier it was like a flip of a switch.

most horrible 'illness' I've ever had.

• I heard its like the flu.