Why won't my crush text me back?

I have a crush on this guy in my class that sits next to me and he was one of my first friends when I came to my new school this year. He is very cute and sweet. I asked him for my number and he gave it to me. But then, the first few time I texted him we had an actual text conversation. But, he barely texts me back. He always says that he's busy but for some reason I don't believe him. I feel like he is making excuses not to text me. And also, I'm always the one that texts him first. He never texted me on his own without me texting him first. We talk a lot in school, but for some reason, he never answers his phone. I texted him about 45 minutes ago...and I still didn't get a response. I don't want him to think I'm annoying by constantly texting him. I asked him why he didn't text me, and he says he's always busy. He told me to text him a few days ago at a certain time and--you guessed it--he didn't text back. I wish he could just answer his phone for a change. And, why is it that we talk in school all the time and he never texts me outside of school. It is so frustrating. What should I do?

I'm 14

I've known him for about a month

We talk a lot in real life but he barely texts me :(
He always pulls the "I'm busy" card, but I think he's lying.