Should I date a pot smoker?

Hi. I met this guy at school and he is really nice but he just admitted to me that he likes to smoke pot. He says it is medicinal for anxiety and stuff and not recreational and that he only does it once and a while and he doesn't get baked. The thing is I wouldn't care much but I usually don't date smokers of any kind. I kind of morally have a problem with it. I don't know if I can overlook this one. He seems really nice but and I just don't know what to do.

Most Helpful Guy

• Firstly I don't understand your moral conflict with it but disregarding that I would say yes but that is because I don't have a problem with it. If it is a big enough issue for you then don't date him...

What Guys Said 9

• So long as he doesn't do it too much then I don't see the issue. You'd date someone who drank wouldn't you but you wouldn't date an alcoholic.

Also, it's medicinal for him, not like he is doing it for the wrong reasons. Nothing immoral in my mind, don't get why you think so.

• Plenty of good people smoke, and plenty of bad people don't smoke. It's not really a measure of one's morality.

• Depends.

If he indeed smokes only a little to dull down anxiety problems there shouldn't be any problem.

Just as long as it's not the type who smokes heavy amounts on a daily basis, it tends to make people slow and tired all the time.

Trust me I'm from the Netherlands ... we know everything about it :P

• well, I have doubts when he says its only for medicinal reasons. He might just be downplaying (lying) about it, but who knows. Use your gut and if he just does it casually I guess it doesn't matter, although pot does make people lazy and ruins memory/learning ability

• My uncle is married to a smoker. My cousin is married to a smoker. Cigarettes. They're actually technically worse than weed. If cigarette smokers can marry, I'm sure you can date and or marry a weed smoker

• if he is nice & you like him, why would you let something like that become an issue? if you really have a problem with it or don't want to be around it, just ask him not to do or have it when the 2 of you are together.

• no

• You shouldn't date him because he's a liar. Ofcourse he get baked

• Do you think pot is immoral because of this? link

• Haha that was a funny movie

• Yeah it was funny , but nothing but propaganda lies.

What Girls Said 4

• I guess it depends on why you find it immoral. Lots of people just aren't educated about it, and they hate it for all the wrong reasons.

If it's something you don't want to open up to and accept, then that's completely your decision.

My boyfriend smokes and I hate hate hate pot, but for purely personal reasons. So I don't hold it against him. It doesn't interfere with our relationship.

• i was dating a guy smokes ciga, weed, does drugs, but he was so nice to me, I liked him.

as long as they are not getting any deeper or totally rely on them I think is fine. at some point if they like you enough they would quit

• oh yeah, he didn't do it everyday though

so if you think you can stand him at the moment then why not give it a go

but later on if he gets very very into it then you have to rethink again

• No just no.

• If he doesn't smoke it like every day than it's fine. My ex was an extreme pot head, he smoked everyday. I feel while dating him I never got to see his sober side. It was tough, I feel it made him very lazy and he spent too much money on it. So like I said date him if he doesn't do it eveyday.