Would you date someone who was almost like you?

BESIDES LOOKS, Lets say you're dating someone and they are into almost all of your hobbies, if you liked cooking, they loved to cook, you like to draw and paint, they liked to draw and paint.

Their personality is identical to yours, if you're calm, they're calm, you're loud and obnoxious, they are loud and obnoxious.

Could you date someone like that?

• Yeah, Who doesn't love me?
  • Nope, It would be too weird or boring.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like it's not a politically correct answer, but ABSOLUTELY.

I have a boyfriend now and obviously he is very different from me, and I love him to death, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to find someone who has an identical thought process to me.

If that person happened to be a guy, I think I would definitely be able to date him. We'd understand each other, react similarly, hold the same values, have similar goals...it would be GREAT.

Again, not to sound narcissistic. I don't think I'm anywhere near perfect, but I would definitely be able to handle a relationship with me, because there would be less confusion about thought process

What Girls Said 36

• No it would be boring. I want someone that balances me out as well differs from me. It makes the relationship exciting as well as difficult sometimes.

• I would say no. Because, while I think it's good to be with somebody who has the same interests as you (or can at least stand to do things you enjoy with you), I think it's important for them to have their own interests, also. And, as far as personalities go, I think it's important to be with somebody who balances you out, which I think you would need somebody who's the opposite of your personality, whilst still complimenting you.

• Common interests, yes.

Personality-wise...I'm not sure.

I can be a little emotional at times and I'm also ridiculously shy, so I think people who are less emotional (though compassionate) and outgoing compliment my personality much more than someone who was the same.

• I am already in a relationship with someone like me. We have some minor differences which help our relationship though.

• Mostly, but kind of not. I definitely need someone with the same religious and political views as me. I've tried doing the opposite and it did not go well.

I definitely need someone who is into the kinds of things that I'm into. If I can't even watch a TV show with my S.O. or agree on a movie or do any activity together with equal enthusiasm, what's the point?

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to the introvert/extrovert spectrum. I lie right in the middle of the spectrum and I'm okay with anyone as long as they're not an extreme introvert or an extreme extrovert. But I prefer someone who is slightly more introverted than me.

However, there are a lot of things that can make differences an advantage. If we're too much alike, there will be nothing to talk about. He might have the same college major and a similar job as me. We might have the same hobbies and interests. That could close us off to learning and trying new things because we're too far in our shared comfort zone. Having differences in interests is a major advantage because it keeps things fresh and interesting.

• Yes, that would be a fun change.

• Nope. I want someone somewhat similar to me but I don't want someone who's "almost like" me or a clone. There are things within myself that I cannot tolerate in other people, and I don't want that. At the same time, I can't date a polar opposite. But definitely don't want someone that's nearly identical to my personality.

• I love it when I have some things in common with a guy, common interests and hobbies. It gives you something else to connect besides just being romantic. If a guy is too similar that might be a bit odd.

• Isn't that what we call a "perfect match?" I wouldn't mind, then we can figure each other out best and know what we like/dislike.

• No. My friend used to say it's better to have somebody that's compatible than somebody that's similar. So I'd want somebody who is good at things I'm not good at and I'd want somebody who is bad at things that I'm good at. That way we can help each other and benefit from each other. What's the point of dating somebody if they are exactly like you? You might as well be dating yourself. I've rejected guys before because they agreed with everything that I said.

• hell yes! not to sound conceited but I'd have the time of my life with a person similar to me ..i wish I could find that but no..i get stuck with the most boring people on earth -_-

• I couldn't do it. Like many others said before me it's great to have things in common with your significant other, but things will get boring fast and I will grow tire of him.

I like excitement, someone to balance me out , my better half. I like the arguments and the challenges. It lets me know that we can stand the rain, and com out even stronger.

• Oh I did for a long time. We broke up every 2-3 months for a month and then would get back together until we couldn't stand each other and then it was back on and then off. For six years, until we realized that no matter how much we love each other it was too unhealthy because we were so alike we couldn't stand each other.

• I used to think that was a great turn on to have. however I would probably be so annoyed that there isn't anything for me to be influenced on. Id rather us connect on that one rare thing I don't seem to find with other people yet still have our differences I like learning about things I never thought I would be into or having things just for me. so no I wouldnt

• Some common interests are good - I always felt it was about finding the middle ground between incompatible and identical.

I wouldn't want to be with either - some things in common and some differences to have that bit of debate and interest.

• No. I mean, I want someone with a similar personality, but I don't want his mood to constantly mirror mine. And yes, there is a difference. I want him to be the voice of reason when I'm being unreasonable, to comfort me when I'm sad and vice versa. Our moods should complement each other when needed, not constantly be the same.

• Nope. Dating someone like me would be boring! I want someone completely different not only physically but also in terms of personality.

• I would LOVEEEEEEEEEE to date someine who was almost like me! I am a very open, adventurous, thrill-seeking person, and I always have trouble finding people with similar qualities. It would be super awesome to find a partner in crime! :)

• Yes and no, its nice to have some things in common with someone but if they have too many of your same traits, habits, or a very similar personality I feel that you would become very annoyed with them frequently because of your similarities.

• Yes... But I'd rather hope if I was having a hysterical break down, he'd try and calm me down and not be having one too :P

• Yes the same/similar is good, whoever said opposites attract is wrong for me.

• i hope he would be a little different

• Yeah it would be great to have something in common with that person, but having everything in common sounds more like a friendship than a relationship to me.

• Yup. ^-^ My boyfriend and I love all the same things so there's no argument on things like what to do, watch, or listen too.

• I do not a clone me. Prefer someone who can complement me..otherwise life will be so boring

• no, I don't want someone identical. I want someone who is similar to me but still very different.

• If they just happen to be like me, then it's alright. But if they are like...replicating my personality because they don't have their own, then it's pathetic.

• No way!

• No way... I see myself too much... Different is best!

• I don't know if I could.

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 27

• Yes. Studies have shown that similarity triumphs over complimentarity. Being different gives couples a higher potential chance of conflict. Due to difference of opinion and resolution of these conflicts won't always happen which means...

When you are similar it is easier to support and understand your partners dreams and goals

Actually before I rewrite this whole article have a read and follow the psychological studies provided which favour a similar partner vs adifferent partner link

• A ...

but reality checks says

opposites attract

opposites keep each other from actually DOING that GREAT? idea of jumping off a cliff

but my defense is ...

maybe put answer A in a salt shaker

to use on potential mates/friends to spice them up a bit!

• I imagine it'd be great.

There'd probably be fewer misunderstandings, and it'd be dead easy to do things together that you both really enjoy, that latter point sounding pretty important and very appealing.

It'd be easy to choose where to eat out, what to cook for dinner, how to decorate the living room, where to go on holiday, what to do on holiday, where to go for dates...

You'd be able to discuss all those things you're really into as much as you like, because they're into the same stuff too! Nobody's going to say, "all she ever talks about is shoes" or "all he ever talks about is cars" if you're both into shoes or both into cars.

• Although people say opposites attract, most people end up marrying someone very similar to themselves. Same social status, values, hobbies and recreational activities etc.

So yeah most people DO end up dating someone like themselves although maybe not identical. It's always nice to have someone share in the activities that you like to do instead of having absolutely no interest in it.

• Ya, why not? Sounds pretty ideal tbh. People who think it's boring are idiot. Clearly children who haven't grown up to realize that opposites don't result in good matchmaking. Why? BECAUSE YOU'RE F***ING OPPOSITES! That causes friction, that causes problems. Those differences will lead to fights.

You said "almost like you" which sounds ideal because it means we have things in common. Things we can relate to. But "almost" is not "entirely" and thus means there will be some differences. I prefer finding a person who is like me enough in hobbies, but different enough where we can share new things too, together. That's how you keep things fun/interesting.

• the best part of other people, for me, is deciphering their personality and habits. it's something I do when I first meet someone, and continue to do it until they're out of my life. someone like me would be too easy to understand. knowing everything from the beginning would take the fun out of the puzzle/game.

• Eh I don't know if I would like that. I would like some similarities but I would want enough differences so things don't become predictable. That and I don't think I would be able to handle someone that similar to me..

• why are you against someone like you in a relationship?

• I'm independent and I push people who care about me away. I don't think two people like that can be together. The type of people who prefer to be perpetually alone.

• It would honestly be alarming to meet someone similar to me, and taking into account the fact that they are probably a criminal who manipulates people for everything, no. Some of us need some balance in our lives. However, I could see some people's personalities making sense with someone of the same niche, like two history professors (most people find history boring, but having a partner with the same life decisions makes sense.

I do however hope that whoever if anyone I end up with has some of my beliefs or rather lack of beliefs, because I am an avid supporter of secularism and would like to see the church crumble to the ground, so it would be hard, not impossible, to date someone of faith. I also hold very strong beliefs on animal rights, but at the same time live as a economic conservative.

• Yes, that would be quite fun, to be honest. Someone who completely understands you. Of course, I hope that she would see the feminine side of things as well. And well, also great if she doesn't look like me too. Would be weird to be dating my sister.

• I don't know. Am I so egotistical that I need to date someone exactly like myself? Maybe. haha. My current crush shares a lot of common interests as me, maybe too much lol.

• Yeah, I think everyone should date someone that is almost like them. At least they would be on the same page, plus that would stop divorces.

At the same time, despite the fact that she loves the same things that I do, she also has to keep her feminine side and not act too much like a dude. Otherwise I'd be into guys (which I'm not)

• Of course I would love that.

• I'd like to, but sadly I'd be way out of my league.

• It would be nice in that we could spend a lot of time together doing things we both love, but I think I'd rather have someone who compliments my personality rather than someone who has one similar to mine.

• No, I wouldn't want to date someone who always had something in common with me in every aspect of life, because having some differences is also beneficial.

• I'd like to try it, but not sure I'd like it. 50% like me.

• Date? I'd marry a girl like that instantly.

• Yes. I think that's what I want lol.

• No. I tried it. It doesn't work. Relationships need pushers and pullers.

• There are many ups and downs. But my first suggestion to myself would be to give it a try.

• That would be ideal

• Nope. Hell if their was two of me together then who the hell is going to bail me out of jail if we both are locked up.. Plus the world would be one f***ed up place

• After a while it would get pretty lame..

• Nothing wrong with that.

• I'm not sure I would want someone almost exactly like me. That leaves little left to discover.

• Ah, one of life's great debates. There was an episode of Seinfeld about this. I'd date a girl who was like me, assuming she was fairly attractive. I have an agreeable personality, and I find common interests essential in a relationship.

• No. If she has nothing to contribute to the relationship, what's the point? I already am like me, I don't need another me. Share things? Sure. Be exactly the same? Pfff, NOP. I need someone with a different perspective than mine, someone that enriches my life, not a redundant copy of myself.