Girls, how much older would you or have you dated?

How much older have you dated? How much older would you date? Does it also depend on the personality? What about his looks? because both guys and girls can go way downhill in mid to late 20s if they don't take care of themselves and have bad genes.

• My age and would not date older but would younger
  • 5 years older
  • 10 years older
  • 10 plus years

Most Helpful Girl

• Obviously personality and looks will play into it, regardless of age... I think that there are many things to take into account when there's a significant age difference between you and your partner. Some may affect you, and some might not... It really just depends on whether or not you're at the same stage in your life, and whether or not you want the same things for your future. For example. a 20-something dating a 40-year-old is much different than a 30-something dating a 50-year-old, even though both relationships are between people who were born 20 years apart. This is because at 30 years old, a person is old enough to have gone through the same ups and downs as someone substantially older. Shared experiences that factor into personal development include successes and failures in their careers and marriages, children, etc. This is much less likely to be the case if someone's only 21 years old.

Personally, I go by the rule of "age is just a number." This, however, is conditional: I must always feel as though I'm an equal, we must have shared hopes for the future, and it needs to be a genuine bond -- not just a sex-driven ordeal. I've dated guys who were up to 13 years older than me, and I've also dated a guy who was a year younger than me... Age and maturity/compatibility don't always go hand in hand... But most of the time they do. I used to think that I was attracted to men who were substantially older than me... But the older I get, the more apparent it has become that it had nothing to do with age. I don't care what year they were born; I just want to be with someone who looks and behaves like a man, not a boy (that's not to say that they can't be kindred spirits, though).

• Great answer! Good point about big age differences can't just be sexual relationships. I have had several older women a decade or more after me in the past because of mostly sexual reasons and that is no basis for a real relationship.

• I can overlook age gap if I feel like we're actually really compatible.

• Yeah I think that is key. I have honestly really clicked with girls 7 or 8 years younger, and with women a decade and a half older. I think the age stuff doesn't matter that much if the older person has a similar personality and looks attractive. A girl was once describing a creepy guy to me and admitted that a lot of "creepy" behavior is based around his looks after I teased her about it.

What Girls Said 9

• My boyfriend is three years older than me, that's the oldest I've dated so far. I think the most I'd be okay with is five years older, voted B.

• I've dated from 4 years all the way up to 12 years older than me. If the man is good-looking, age doesn't really make that much of a difference. If anything to me, it always made him seem more distinguished and experienced.

• Good point. Both women and men who are good looking don't seem to have a problem getting substantially younger people to date!

• It's gonna sound horrible but when I was 16 I was with a guy that was 35. When I was younger I despised every guy my age and wanted an "older and mature" guy. Obviously he wasn't too mature to be messing around with a 16 year old but we all make mistakes.

As I've gotten older, the guys I've been in relationships with have been closer to my age.

I'm 19 now and my boyfriend is 22.

• Wow! How did that start? Did you approach him or what? Tell me more that sounds fascinating lol. Did you date for a while? What did your parents and friends think?!?!?!

• Lol wow. Did you want to be friends with benefits? How did that come about? I mean was he straight forward bout it? Yeah, ugly as in he would have gone to prison lol

• I was 100% okay with just having a friends with benefits relationship. He was one gorgeous man lol

He was very straight forward about it. Didn't waste any time at all.

But yeah, no one could find out. On top of the fact that my dad is a cop, the guy was in the military as well. If someone found out, he would have gotten in a ton of trouble with the military.

• When I was 17 I went on a date with a 27 year old guy. It would have been great, we got on pretty well and had a lot in common, but he constantly kept reminding me of the age difference and talking down to me.

So it depends on the guy. My current boyfriend is my age and he's perfect for me.

• Well that is stupid that he kept talking down to you. No wonder why it didn't work or girls have negative opinions in older guys. I think I haven't had trouble with large gaps both ways because I just like to get to know how they think and not care about age. I have known plenty of women in 30s and 40s who make teenage boys look mature lol.

• Had he not been a dumbass on that do you think it would have worked? What a jerk

• I don't think my parents would have been very happy with it.

• I've dated a 25 year old when I was 16 I think or 15... but to be fair, I passed for 18 when I was 15, and I pass for 21 at 17.. so yeah

• Wow! 25 and 16! How did that happen? How did it go? Were you able to talk and have convos?

• Yes, that's the biggest thing for us, we were able to talk completely, it was amazing!

• I've dated my own age and 2 years older then me. But now I'm dating a guy who is 2 years younger than me.

• How old are you? So you never dated older, just younger? Any reason or it just worked out that way?

• How much older was he? It felt creepy because he was older or because he was creepy acting?

• Well I was 24 at that time and he was 26, but looked much older like 40 and also that the fact that he said he was once married and has a crazy ex wife.

• The oldest has been two years.

• How much older would you go though? And how old are you?

• Currently 17. I wouldn't go much older, maybe a year or two. But I'd date a year younger as well.

• i'm 22 and when I was 20 I dated a 32 year old, then we dated again for a bit when I was 21, and had a brief reunion at 22 aka recently. it was a hell of a messedup rollercoaster.

i would keep it under ten years for a healthy relationship. he only liked me for my body and because he can control me. I made him feel powerful and wanted and he thought I was hot and easy to manipulate. we were an extremely unhealthy relationship.

it depends on the people.

my guy does not look that great and he looks every year of his mid 30s now, but he knew how to get me.

• What do you mean? Was he controlling and mean? Why did you date him if he isn't attractive?

• Aww I'm sorry. Now I see why some older guys get a bad rap by younger girls.

• There are many pros he made me feel secure cared for he was good to talk to because he was mature and smart. Also more experience ;) He was more able to understand me but at the end of the day he didn't like me the way I liked him.

• My current boyfriend is 2.5 years younger than me. I've never actually dated older. My boyfriend before my current was 1.5 years younger than me. I'm not against dating older and would date up to 5 years older. But as it is, I hope this guy I'm dating now and I stay together forever so...

Oh, and yes, of course it also depends on his personality and looks are always a bonus.

• How old are you?

• Now that is interesting because a lot of girls that age hate younger guys.

• I'm special.

What Guys Said 2

• you need a fifth choice so that guys can just see the results

• My dad is 11 years older then my mom.