Which gender takes going dutch on a date better?

I think guys take it better because to us it really isn't about how much money a girl spends on us, it's the thought that counts, but if a guy goes dutch than he's a cheapskate penny pincher etc when a woman goes dutch on a date she's considered just being cautious keeping things simple, protecting herself from possible disappointment, etc. also one more question for guys How much have you spent on dating? how much do you usually spend?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it should be the person who asks the other out and chooses the place who should pay. Gender shouldn't matter.

This guy invited me out once and chose the fanciest most expensive place ever when things were tight for me, without telling me where we were going beforehand and made me pay for half (which I'm fine with if I had say in the restaurant or it was reasonably priced) and I was very short on funds for the next bit since I'm a student!

• So in your opinion, who takes going dutch better on a date?

• No but that wasn't the deal breaker. He was a very interesting cross between a "gangsta" and a hippie.

• +1 totally agree.

It should be completely up to whoever wants to take the other person out. If I offer to take a girl somewhere I should pay. If she takes me to a movie or something she should offer to pay. I probably would pay at first when we're getting to know each other though..

What Girls Said 10

• I think before you are 'official' and just dating, that its fine to go Dutch. Everybody is trying to save money these day and I would feel a little guilty if the guy kept paying for everything and we didn't even become boyfriend/girlfriend.

• Usually men, but I actually prefer going dutch. I'm rarely ever taken out and when I am I feel so bad that someone else has to pay for me that I'll insist on paying my fair share. Then again maybe that's why I'm not asked out a lot haha!...

• I personally don't mind paying for a guy on a date, let alone going dutch (especially if I invite him). I don't consider the guy a "cheapskate" either. Fair is fair.

I think it's rude to not at least offer to pay my share of the date...at the very minimum I pay the tip if he's adamant. The amount I pay on a date doesn't have any correlation to how interested I am in the guy. He'll know that through our interactions.

• Lol, I'm a Dutch woman myself and I actually think the girls handle it better. Even worse, me and my friends often "fight" over who's gonna pay the bill, we all don't like iy if someone else pays for us. With boys (the ones I hang with anyway), they don't like going Dutch. They feel unmanly or not dominant or whatever, but they simple won't allow me to split the bill. I think it hurts their pride or something

• i feel that guys take it better but of because there are girls who are open to going on dutch willingly.

• I think both do. There's nothing wrong with it

• Dutch women. But in all seriousness, if a woman isn't a spoiled brat, then she should be fine with going dutch. Most guys would be fine with it too. Because how can you really expect a stranger to pay for your stuff? If they want to have a stay-at-home-mom and working-dad kind of relationship later, then that's fine. But no one wants to pay for someone they might never see again.

• if men handle the woman initiating a date and paying the whole thing period then that would be significant. that they 'allow' splitting is no big deal.

• Men should pay for the first date initially. You can take her out to a simple place and spend less than $25. but after that, depending on the financial situation of both, you can decide how you want this to work.

• Men, of course... because they're usually the ones paying for both, haha! Of course they'd take it well if they decided to go dutch. Although, some men have acted offended when I offered to pay and when I have paid in the past. Weird.

What Guys Said 5

• I'd say that generally speaking men are much more likely to take going dutch better. I've had girls offer to pay and I usually say, "Are you sure, I can get it, it's not a big deal" and if she says yes, that she's sure that she wants to pay then I'll let her, end of discussion. In my head I would prefer her to pay for herself, but I do ask if she's sure because I consider it common courtesy. Just like I think it's common courtesy for a girl to offer to pay her half. Whenever I go out somewhere, it doesn't matter if it's with a girl on a date or a single friend, I always make sure that I can afford the entire bill. Especially if I am the one that did the offering. I say single friend because there's no way I'd support a group of friends. They're on their own. With a single friend I expect them to pay their half, but if for some reason they come up short or forgot their money then I cover the bill and make sure they pay me back. Every once in a while I'll be generous enough to not worry about them paying me back.

There was one time where I went on a date with a girl and she paid for both movie tickets. The reason she paid though was because her sister worked at the theater and was able to give her two tickets for half the price. Which wouldn't have been possible if we both bought our tickets separately.

There was one occasion where another girl I was dating got offended with this whole pay thing. It was kind of weird. What I mean by that is that she was going to pay her own way and like I stated in the beginning I offered to pay for it in full and she got upset that I would even ask her if she was sure and that I could cover it myself. She then got a bit snippy and said that she can pay her own way and doesn't need a guy to pay for her. That was the last time I saw that girl. It wasn't that she was an independent gal that turned me off, it was that she got offended that I would even suggest to pay for the entire thing myself. It was the way she handled herself in that situation that turned me off and made me never want to see her again. If she wasn't a rude ass, I probably would've loved to continue going on dates with her knowing that she was independent and would always pay her own way. Oh, well.

• Men obviously. I have never met a man that had an issue with a woman pitching in some of her own money. Sometimes a guy might have a problem on the first date, because we get told that is some sort of a test to see if we are cheapskates or not. Beyond that men love women paying half. By contrast I have met a few girls that acted like spoiled little princesses that acted like men exist so she can get a free night out on the town.

• What I do is just buy them a cup of coffee tops if I'm just meeting them. Then I only go as far as what I'm willing to lose. So I just keep it inexpensive. No big types of "dates" until I'm at a commitment point with her, and that takes a while.

• I don't think it works like that.

As a guy, I'd rather pay, because that's what gentlemen do. However, I would not mind reaching a consensus, with either me paying half, or her paying all of it, if that's what she really wanted to do.

However, I would want to pay sometimes too. It's a way of expressing consideration and thanks for a good time.

It doesn't matter what most people think. It matters what your intentions are.

In my culture (people of the culture that understand the culture), most everyone wants to pay, whether they are male or female, young or old, dating, or with friends, etc.

Is going dutch, taking turns, or what?

• Not really an answer to your question but I think the asker should pay. To ask and then insist on Dutch after the fact is rude