At what age did you start dating?

Do you think you were at an appropriate age to start dating?

Do you wish you had started earlier, or waited longer?

I started dating when I was 14, around the time I was starting high school... right now it seems like that's a bit young but at the time it felt all right. I sort of wish my first boyfriend would have been a different guy; at the time I was having fun but looking back I know it wasn't a good relationship and he was somewhat manipulative.

Anyways any thoughts on your overall dating experience so far?

• 14 years old or younger
  • 15 - 18 years old
  • 19 - 24 years old
  • 25 years old or older
  • I have not started dating yet

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not going to count dates to junior high dances, Homecoming, or prom, even if those girls wanted to believe we dated. I had my first girlfriend at 17.

Story time ...

The girl I started dating actually passed me off to her friend after a couple of weeks, which was fine, because I think all I really wanted was *a* girlfriend. I was apparently supposed to have one or something. But this second girl was a great match for me, probably more than any girl I've dated since, even though the relationship was very much characteristic of high schoolers just starting to learn about intimacy and how to relate to each other romantically. I had my first kiss with her and it was, well, perfect. Even today, seventeen years and tens of thousands of kisses later, it is still the best.

But ... around the same time, my best friend, who was then in college, called me, expressed her feelings for me, and asked to get together over the holidays. And from there you can probably see where this is going, so I won't elaborate farther.

Given what happened, I would say that I was certainly not mature enough to handle an "adult relationship" at that time, but I'm also not convinced a 17/18-year-old should be worried about that anyway. I regret hurting the people I did, but in terms of my own life I'm glad for the experiences I've had and the lessons I've learned, then, and since. Even the bad ones.

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't have my first boyfriend or go on my first date until I was 18 and a senior in high school. (Pretty much skipped the actual dating and we just got into a relationship; we liked each other and went on dates thereafter) He skipped a grade and was 16 at the time we started dating (my birthday came around before his which is why it seems like we're two years apart; it was only a year and a half). I've always been very selective in the guys I've liked. I'm 21 now and have only liked 5 guys in my life and only been in love once. I always knew I wouldn't date at least until college because of the kind of relationship I wanted. I was never into the whole dating just to date thing. I was glad when I met my first boyfriend senior year. I was sad when it ended because I really was wanting us to last and last. He was my first love--and yes, I was really and truly in love with him. I think I still have feelings for him deep down. I'm content with being single now. Been single for over a year.

I've been on one date since then. It went no where lol.

What Guys Said 38

• People start dating too young in the US. They get into all kinds of trouble, and make mistakes that cause them anguish, and leave emotional scars that really inhibit you from relating to people later, when you are mature enough to really enjoy romantic relationships.

Personally, I stopped 'dating' in my teens, and tried to meet women in more 'organic', or natural ways, thorugh common interestts, voluntary work together, or just following them in the street and introducing myself cold.

Dangerous, in these days, but it worked out for me!

• The average age of losing virginity in the US is around 17. To put this into perspective, the average age of losing virginity in Scandinavia is about 13. I found that statistic rather shocking, but it makes sense.

Also, much of Scandinavia has ditched traditional "dating", and prefer a simple coffee date to get to know each other before starting a relationship.

• Doesn't really surprise me that much, either. Those long summer nights..!

• Best Answer,no?

• 8th grade... so about 13 or 14 was my first real relationship where we went out to movies and stuff and made out. Prior to that I'dhad one "girlfriend" but it was that highly immature relationship where you basically only talk when at school and when you're there all you do is stand next to each other at recess...

so 8th grade would've been my first real dating experience

• I was 14 when I started kissing/making out with girls, but I didn't go on a "proper" date until I was 15. At the time, my dad was going through a ton of stress and was BIG into religion and told me I couldn't date until I was 16, and after being told that, and having to reschedule a date with a girl I'd been on several dates with, I learned to just SHUT UP and not mention my personal life to my parents. They've only met girls I was in serious long-term relationships as a result.

Anyway, I was totally ready, and I have no regrets other than I was totally clueless, had no one to give me advice, and I made the mistake of listening to what girls had to say, and they were equally clueless. I regret making very basic mistakes for a long time, and I regret not asking a lot of girls who, looking back, I would have almost certainly gotten if I'd tried. The signs were there, I just didn't know how to read them.

• First 'date' was when I was 17 for the school Valentine's dance called WPA - Women Pay All. Girl asked me out. Was actually a genuine date and not just two friends going out. We're best friends now though.

The first time I asked a girl out and went on a date was when I was 19. Great date, unfortunately things didn't work out because our wants were different.

• My first was when I was 23, but that went terrible. I wanted her to be my first and only, but in hindsight that was too foolish. Still I'm glad that I learnt a lot of stuff about what I wanted in a relationship.

I'm now in my second relationship, trying to date my friend.

• I was 15 and no regrets on that. Guess it was the right time too :)

All the experiences even if it ended a disaster were good. Never wished whoever it was at any point of time that she'd be someone else. Loved everyone for their individuality at least at that point of time :)

Voted 'B'

• I started dating around the same time that you did. I wouldn't take it back because it was a good learning experience. The first breakup is always the worst one and if you get it over with when you're young it steels you against the others.

• I was 17, almost 18 when I started... I don't regret any of it and enjoyed each relationship I've had.

• What age was did I start? 14 what age would be more appropriate, probably around 16, at 14 we just don;t know much of anything I said A...

• I started "fooling around" when I was like 13... But I didn't actually start dating until I was 22...

• If it counts, my first date was homecoming when I was 15. Other than that, when I was 16.

• Just effing around (a bit!) at 16

Dating at 18

Relationship at 19

• I lost my virginity when I was 18. I started getting in relationships when I was 18. Cause and effect lol

• I have never been on a date and I am 24.

• Not sure if you'd call it dating, but my first official girlfriend was in grade 2 so I was about 7? lol

Then started going out with girls outside of school when I was like 10.

Actual 'dating' started when I was14.

• still haven't oh well

• I was 9ine when I had my first girlfriend and first kiss.

It may seem young, but I'm glad for it. I learned quite a bit about the opposite sex at a very early age.

But I didn't have sex until I was 19.

• I was 21

• Dating as in going out for dinner and such?

It was soon as I had my car, and I think I was about 18-19.

• First dated at 14 in the eighth grade.

Oh man we were so immature it was horrible ahaha it only lasted like two weeks

• I'm now almost 19, and have no formal dating experience outside of a large resume of first dates. Just end up getting bored in all honesty, it's rare a girl meets my personality standards (if she's on the date she's met the physical standards). That and I'm fat so it's too much work to get people to like me.

• BIG distinction for me -

I was in elementary when I first used to date (very young)

Then nothing until late high school (senior year - nothing between then and elementary)...

Then not again until I was 27! So I definitely wish I had done more of it when I was younger.

• Still haven't. Iv gradually come to accept I never will.

I'm sure it can be nice. But somehow I feel I'm not missing much.

• I'd say 14 is about right - it's when I started dating properly and I don't regret it - however, when I look back at my life, the years I am fondest of and miss the most, are the ones before that...

• I started when I was about 17, then serious when I am now 19

• well I joined an online dating site for a few months but that didn't really go anywhere so I stayed single since

• i lost the v-card in seventh grade haha...

• I haven't started dating. I'm 20

• 15

• I have actually not gotten into the dating game yet.

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 27

• Currently 18 and never been on a date, never had my first kiss, nothing.

I personally don't mind or consider myself the "odd one out" for it. I mean, I've liked boys but I've never been asked out and (even if I had been) I probably would have said no.

I've always considered dating as a thing to do to see if you would want to spend the rest of your life with someone. I could never see that in high school- the boys were generally too immature, you don't know what you want out of life, statistically the relationship wouldn't last long, etc.

Besides, I don't understand why someone would date 'just for fun'.

• I had my first dating experience at 19. We dated for not long. He was 26, I think, which was too old for my taste, as I realized not too long after. It was my first kiss but he was very respectful of my physical boundaries, so nothing serious occurred. I ditched him within a few weeks because it became clear to me I'd never want him to become my boyfriend, for multiple reasons. After that, I didn't do anything dating related for a week, then I met my boyfriend-to-be, whom I dated a few weeks later. We dated for a few weeks without even sharing more than hugs and hand holding. We kissed after these weeks of dating, became official thereafter and remained a couple for close to two years. We broke up, I remainded completely out of the dating game for a few weeks. Then, I kinda dated this guy, whom I dumped shortly after because I considered him a player. I didn't have sex with him, cause I'm cautious and smart like that. I've started dating another guy maybe 2 weeks later. I'm currently evaluating his chances of going further than the 1st date because he's too much of a sweet talker, it's making me suspicious. So bottom line is, started dating at 19, first boyfriend at 19, dated 3 guys total at 21. Low score but that's enough for me as I don't do casual sex (at my age, that's what most single guys are after).

• I was 13. Looking back, I was really young to start dating, but at the time I actually felt like a late bloomer haha. I feel like I started at a good time though, and with a good guy.

• I started "dating" at 17. I didn't really have my first boyfriend until I was 20.

I'm happy with the age I started dating. If I would have started any earlier, I feel like it would've been just kiddie stuff, and not really a relationship anyway. And none of the guys I knew at that age were boyfriend material, lol.

• I didn't start dating until I was 18 years old and I'm so happy I waited! For me and my journey in life, dating late was one of the best things I did for my future. Dating later was unintentional, but I spent so much of my younger years being self-conscious and depressed that I wasn't mentally present enough to actually date successfully. I would have come off as a 'lousy' date but really and truly, I was jus "half a woman" because I had so much negativity, disappointment, and sadness occupying my mind and soul, replacing what could have been something so much more pleasant and beautiful. Had I dated back then, the guys would have experienced all of 20% of what I have to offer.

When I was 18, I had my first official date with an amazing guy who really set the bar high. He was such a lovely experience and raised my standards so high that there are certain types of men I won't even waste time on. Which is GOLDEN in my perspective. Starting out with a guy who treats you so well instinctively make you compare any guy who doesn't treat you as well as lower quality and can essentially protect you from a lot of heartache. Because it makes you feel like you're settling; you've experienced better and been lucky enough to see how wonderful relationships can feel so why would you decrease your experience?

I love my dating experience so far! It has really opened up my eyes! I've dated the jock, the sexy, gaurded guy who was in a gang, a rich guy who was misunderstood, an ambitious, adventurous army guy, the socially awkward 'nerd', a political refugee...it's been amazing. I want to make it a goal not to invest my emotional time, mental time, or sexual time on someone who's not worth it.

• I started dating when I was 17.

• It was by my own decision. My parents allowed me to date ever since I was 13-14. Guys asked me on dates but I didn't feel ready to date. I didn't want to feel like a grown-up so soon. It's hard to explain...

• I started at 18. No regrets about it.

• I had my first boyfriend at 17, I had no dating history what so ever. He was my first kiss, I didn't lose my virginity to him though, I'm still a virgin. We lasted for a year and 3 months but than I broke it off. I think I started dating at a good age, I'm 18 now by the way. I feel at this age I'm able to deal with heart break a lot better and I'm old enough to understand things. I'm glad I waited to start dating, I feel at a young age I'm not ready for dating.

• I think I was at an appropriate age, but I wish I had started earlier so that way I could have had more experience & knowledge about maintaining a relationship & making it work despite all the problems. But hey... at least I know more now. (:

• Thee is always a first time & the first time made me learn a lot of stuff. By the way, I was 18 & I'm still 18.

• Got my first date when I was 19 from a dating site. and haven't had to go on one since. we've been together over 2 years now.

• My parents won't let me date until my next birthday. Which is a few months. But even then I'm not really until relationships

• Does it bother you that your parents set an age for you like that when it comes to you dating? Do you think it's an acceptable / reasonable age or do you just not really think about it that much?

• At first I was bothered by it. But not so much anymore. I can understand why. Plus, I'm not really fond of relationships so it really doesn't bother me.

• I think I was either 16 or 17. That's a good age to start dating. My dating experience is good. I dated five guys, the fifth one being a much longer relationship then the other four (3 years and counting!).

• Im 21 and I still haven't started dating. :D

• I was 19 when I started, I'm 24 now. I've only dated 2 guys in that time, I've never been one of those people who hops from one person to the other, into not inot dating just for the sake of it. I'm a practicing Catholic, so I'm yet to lose my virginity.

• I hate that I didn't have my first boyfriend until 25. Now, I'm late and I'm learning/going through what people went through in their teens. I should know better, but I don't. It wouldn't have been any different if I went back. I like white guys, I'm black, and we live in an F'ed up world.

• Grade 9.

I was 13, but my birthday is in November

• I started when I was 19. None of the guys at school were interested. But 24 years late I gave tons of guys asking me out.:D

• Ive never really been on an actual date but when I was younger my "Boyfriends" would be with me for 2+ years and I was so young I had no idea what love was.

• When I was 14

• I had my first boyfriend at 14, wish I didn't date him though

• I started hanging out with guys when I was 16. Official dates never lol

• Like 2nd year in high school. If you even want to call that 'dating'

• I started dating at 15 years old.

• i'm 25 and never dated any1, I'm at a point now where I just don't care if I'll ever be with someone. I won't mind if I meet some1 but then again I won't care if I don't either.

• I was 16

• Until college

• It never really came up at all until after I'd lost a great deal of weight, which happened when I was 24.

I have no idea at what age my parents would've allowed me to start dating. I imagine in my teens, high school probably.

I haven't had the greatest dating experience myself. I don't regret EVERY guy I met and dated, but I definitely do regret some. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.