Would you date a guy who promotes very anti-religious messages?

I'm ardently against religion. I hate the idea of accepting something on true faith (so many people have conveniently redefined it as believing something with evidence, which it isn't). It's a part of my life and you'd probably have to hear me talk about it from time to time (although not too often).

Do not confuse my beliefs with satanism; I hold no religious beliefs whatsoever and promote peace, equality, and freedom. Very anti-information censorship to children/adults.
Why do you think someone who is against religion is instantly disrespectful to those around him? I certainly can keep my beliefs to myself unless it is an appropriate time, OR if someone is doing something that is directly affecting someone and their health is contingent on it. Which I'm sure you would all do in this example: A mother is against her daughter receiving actual medical care for a brain tumor, and instead proposes to see a witch doctor. If it's not an extreme like that, I'm quiet.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends.

I'm a Christian, however, I never push my views onto other people or judge others for believing different things. Personally, I don't care what other people believe, I have my religion because of my own personal experiences and of course I don't expect everyone else to be a believer.

That being said, I don't think I would date someome who put down my religion or constantly tried to change my views and push their atheism onto me. I don't push my views on others and I would expect the same in return from someone I'm dating. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues having atheist friends or even dating an atheist as long as they would be respectful of my religion and again, as long as they didn't try to shove atheism down my throat.

So, I think it depends on those factors. The atheism itself wouldn't be an issue. However if you were disrespectful, rude, or forceful in voicing your views to me, that would be a major turn-off and I would not be interested in dating someone like that. Like I said, I typically keep my religious views to myself and I never try to "convert" others or force my views onto others so I would want that same level of courtesy and respectfulness in return from someone I'm dating.

• I think I could shut up for your eyes. That being said, I am mostly reverent of those close to me as long as they don't actively contribute to spreading blatant lies (homophobia based on biblical principles is a good one). One of my best friends is a very devout Christian and we get along well. We have had several arguments but they were not constant and remained respectful.

• Well I have nothing at all against gay people. I have several friends who are gay. Not all Christians are the same. Many hold more modern views and I'm a very tolerant person. So I mean, I wouldn't mind debating every now and then as long as it stays respectful.

What Girls Said 7

• hmmm.. anti-religion makes it seem he'll completely judge and harass people who are religious to an extreme manner.. and that's not cool...

I don't agree with modern religion, I love the idea of anti-information censorship for all... but promotion of peace, freedom, and especially equality is at the forefront.. so that means I accept and respect those who feel their peace and freedom comes from religion.

• I judge the belief, not the person. There are plenty of good people who are religious. I hang out with very Christian friends and even attend church with them, but I hate the beliefs they hold. I don't confront them unless it's an actual debate or they are doing something that is actively harming someone (preaching the power of prayer over medicine, lying to their kids about science)

• I find no problem in that.

• Definitely not! I'm not even a religious person, but I would find that behavior highly unattractive.

I'd be embarrassed to introduce him to friends and family because I'd feel like I always have to worry about him stepping on toes and disrespecting people's beliefs. Not only that, but it would just get really old and really annoying. It would make him appear to lack in character; it's one thing to have your opinion, but to be condescending, rude, and judgmental to others who don't share your opinion? Unacceptable and I would not be claiming him.

• I don't think you understand what I mean. Being intolerant of an idea does not mean I am disrespectful to people in public. Way to make a bunch of assumptions. I write books countering other books, talk about it when someone wishes to debate (not just at a dinner table), and hang out with lots of very religious people who don't even know I am an atheist. People make so many assumptions.

• Well you've certainly made a lot of assumptions like everyone else does about me because of the few loud mouthed atheists. No one likes artists who go around acting pretentious pretending to know the true meaning of art, but that doesn't mean all people who draw act that way.

• Perhaps you would have avoided everyone making assumptions about you had you presented yourself differently.

• I'm not religious, but I probably wouldn't date him. He may disagree with other people's beliefs but he has to respect them, otherwise he's promoting intolerance.

• Respect the beliefs or the people? And again why is it okay to be intolerant of homophobics, racism, sexists... and not religion even though many of those ideas a largely supported by religion?

• That wasn't the double standard I was mentioning. The double standard I mentioned was the view that somethings are acceptable to be intolerant of while others are not without giving any actual reasons. The crusades are reason enough to be intolerant of religion, and my guess is that you are intolerant of religious extremism. I just go one step further because of the indirect effect religion has on society and especially gullible children.

• Well, you're entitled to have your own opinions. I just said what I think.

• No. I don't think I could date anyone who's intolerant or promotes intolerance.

And no, I'm not religious.

• Is it wrong to be intolerant of something that promotes ignorance and causes problems in the world? Would it be wrong to be intolerant of war and poverty? It's not an intolerance of the people who believe it's an intolerance of an idea that demonstrably causes problems. But as with the man's answer below, it's becoming the "in" thing to be outspokenly anti-tolerant and neutral for non-believers who want to be seen as superior to those who can't deal with religion on a fundamental level.

• Re update: "would you date someone who PROMOTES very anti religious messages?" If he kept those thoughts to himself or only discussed it with people who invited conversation on such topics, that's better. But if he's vehemently preaching about it... no thanks.

• No I would never. I'm a Roman Catholic, but like to think I'm very open minded. I could date an agnostic, maybe an atheist, but NEVER a complete and utter anti-theist.

• Well you are entitled to your own beliefs but you're certainly not open minded if you would NEVER EVER think of dating someone who is opposed to something they can demonstrate to be pernicious to society. That's like saying you would NEVER EVER kill someone even if they were about to kill your newborn child.

• Your example makes no sense in the context. And I'm plenty open-minded, but I'm not going to be hypocritical enough to go directly against what I've been purporting my entire life. Example: Just because I would NEVER date someone who is extremely racist does not mean I am closed-minded. It means that I accept that we have fundamentally different viewpoints. Irreconcilable differences.

• if he is funny sure lets not call if dating though

• So you would hang out with the guy but not date

• i don't like labeling it changes people

• I see, although labeling does make communication more efficient, but because everyone has a unique schema of what a relationship is you're certainly right it changes perspectives for those in the relationship and those observing it.

• Well it depends if you were constantly promoting it and shoving it down people throats like those guys who talk about Jesus saving you on the street corner (but the opposite...) then no I wouldn't have much interest, but if you functioned as human being and held those beliefs and shared them during appropriate conversations then yea I would definitely date you!

• Well that's one down

• Thanks, but it is a very fine line so I wouldn't want anyone to take it the wrong way as I believe in the freedom of religion and the freedom to share, but there gets to a certain point where it is just too intense for me. I just know myself and I know I would have difficult time dating any man who put religion before living, even if that religion was in the belief of no religion...

• I think I got confused by your saying one down (I thought you meant I had rejected you by my response) my apologies. Having now read through the other responses/conversations I now think you meant the opposite... Anyhow in reference to your update yes I would be fine dating a guy who promotes it in that way :)

What Guys Said 5

• Hmm I'm not religious but there's a difference between disagreeing with a belief system and being downright hateful towards it. Although I'm not a Christian I generally follow St. Augustine's view of "hate the sin love the sinner". If somebody has religious/personal beliefs that I find offensive you can still respect someone as an individual who has dignity and worth while disagreeing with their views. Don't get me wrong I think we should all make our opinions heard but there's a way and a venue for that. The only time I get really passionate about it is when religious political leaders tries to influence my life with their religion through government.

Although I don't believe in any gods or anything supernatural I have loved and been attracted to girls who did. I would never discount someone who thinks differently than I do. Yes I would date a girl who believed in a higher power of any kind. Yes I would treat her with respect and dignity. The question is would many girls with those types of beliefs treat me the same way? My experience has been both positive and negative in that sense.

If a girl was really rigid and conservative in her religious beliefs I don't think we could cross that bridge together simply because we may not agree on anything. Most religious people aren't like that nowadays and are usually pretty moderate in their beliefs.

• Considering I'm a satanist, I'll keep my religious views to myself. As should every Atheist, Agnostic, Catholic/Christian, Morman, Wiccan, Babist, Protestant, Buddhist, Islamist, Judaist, and every other religious person/ religion.

If I can respect you morally, and you can respect me morally. Then we have no problems.

• No. It's like dating a vegan.

• More like dating someone who doesn't regularly indulge in the consumption of various poisons and narcotics but I guess your analogy makes sense if you consider meat to be something classified there.

• roflmfao @ "wow you are so edgy"

• Probably not, that person will make me do things that I don't want to do.

• I know I wouldn't date a girl like that. Why would I want to be with someone who promotes hate instead of tolerance?