Why do guys say they won't ever date someone after you break up but a week later they are with someone?

My boyfriend and I broke up and he told me he would never like anyone else and that he would love me forever..and now he claims he just sees me as a friend and he is dating this new girl...does he honestly like her that much or is he trying to stop thinking about me all the time?

Most Helpful Girl

• Most of my guy friends who do this have told me that it's mostly in an effort to forget about their ex. It doesn't make sense to me and I've told them it doesn't make sense. I get the answer back that they have to move on sometime and the sooner the better.

What Guys Said 1

• No actually he's just trying to stop thinking of you...and I think he's even trying to make you jealous,and he thinks he has a chance to have you back if he did so cause by then u'd want him back but actually it ain't workin'...and guys always say stuff like that when they're dumped or heart broken..actually he wasn't lying I guess,he would never love anyone else,but he can just pretend to ;) and thanx :)

What Girls Said 2

• He might like her.. but since you guys just broke up its pretty likely he will remember you while he's with her. He might compare you two without knowing it. He is using her for a rebound most likely. he sounds like a pretty messed up guy. That's good your not with him. No girl deserves to get broke up with and then left for another girl. Be Strong!

• Well I mean, I guess he could be trying to forget or be rebounding on this girl. But the truth is guys, and probably girls too, say these things while in the relationship to try to be cute or romantic, and while I suppose sometimes they mean it it is generally just something to say, and you can't trust people when they say forever. Sorry for being so bitter and pessimistic :P