Did you know your girlfriend or boyfriend or significant other before you started dating?

If not, how did the relationship start?

if so, were you guys friends, acquaintances, or something else?

Is it more normal to start off as being friends?

What kind last longer?

Most Helpful Guy

• i didn't know my partner before we started dating. we met through an online dating site. of my previous long term girlfriends, three were friends before dating and one was not. so far my current relationship has lasted the longest and in my opinion is the best

is it normal to start off as friends?

can't say honestly about other people but 3 of my 5 long term relationships were friend first situations

what kind last longer?

I'm not sure anyone here has those kind of statistics. you'd need to take a pretty large survey. but so far my longest relationships was with a person I was not friends with first

• If you were friends with a girl first, then what made you want to ask her out? What gave you the push to actually ask her out to become more than friends? Weren't you afraid things would be awkward if the date didn't turn out well or she turned you down?

• well one girl asked me out... the second girl I had a crush on but I wanted to see what she was like before attempting to date her. basically get to know her... the third girl I had a crush on the whole time but initially was getting over a break up and not ready to date and then was sort of biding my time till it felt right to tell her how I felt...

i was afraid things might be awkward but I also knew that I wouldn't be completely happy if I didn't at least tell them how I felt

What Guys Said 1

• I knew my first true love since we were in diapers. Her family and my family were really close. We started dating when I was 19 and she was 17. Anyways, she cheated on me after that, she didn't care that we had such a strong bond from before.

• I'm so sorry about this happening to you

What Girls Said 8

• Yes I knew him before we started dating. I actually met him when I was 15. He's from another country and when I met him he was here and he happened to ask me how to get somewhere. I offered to take him there and then to other places, we just really got on well so I spent the rest of the day with him. I gave him my email and we kept in touch with Facebook and Skype.

About 3 years ago his parents moved here, and then he decided to come to school here, and we went to the same university. Then a couple of years ago we started dating and things just moved forward from there :)

I think relationships that start out as friends have the potential to last longer, but there's also the risk of it not working out and you lose a whole friendship on top of that. Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind.

• Yes, my boyfriend and I were friends before we started dating.

So far in my experience, the relationships that started out as friendships first have lasted longer and been more enjoyable than those where I didn't know the guy very well beforehand.

• What do you think made your boyfriend ask you out? Wasn't he afraid of ruining the friendship?

• He did mention before we got together that he was worried about the chance of ruining our friendship. But I think I was pretty persistent, I've always been crazy about him, and he must have really liked me too because eventually he gave us a try.

• No didn't know him, I have never known as boyfriend I had before we started a relationship. I met my s.o in a club, both drunk . Its generally how things work here. We don't "date" per se, there's no such thing as exclusive or not, if you're with someone, you're with them, if you're also seeing someone else then you're cheating. Every relationship I know started in a bar of club

• Yea. I don't really understand the "dating multiple people at the same time" thing.

• My boyfriend and I hung out with mutual friends for about 9-10 months before we started spending one on one time together. We hung out as friends, just the two of us for about a month or two before we started dating. That was over 4 years ago, and although we're together now, we haven't been the entire 4 years. Together a total of 2-3 years out of the 4 and either stayed friends or at least kept in touch the rest of the time. I don't think either of us really knows where we'll end up in the future. Just playing it by ear for the time being

• What's the difference between hanging out as friends vs dating?

and did you like each other more than just as friends when you decided to start dating?

• Yeah we met online six months before

• i didn't, we met at a bbq at a friends house that night he asked for my number. and within a week we went on a date and were exclusive and seriously dating within the month

• How did he ask you out?

• he had my phone number after we first me so we talked for like a week because I had plans that weekend then the next week we went for coffee but he said that wasn't our official first date. He texted again and asked me out to dinner for a couple night later and had flowers and we went to a nice restaurant. I'm a texter myself so I liked he most of it over texting.

• I think its nice when people start out as friends first...u get to know each other better and see how compatible you are and how much you have in common with the person...people who rush or have "the talk" tend to screw up and eventually break up or not last I think.

Its nice to go with the flow

• I met my boyfriend when I was 14. We were friends for four years, dated different people, stayed friends, and then kind of just morphed into a relationship. I didn't have a date to my senior year homecoming and so I asked if he'd be my date just as friends and he agreed. I don't remember exactly how it went down but I do know that I was being playful and trying to get him to go into the dance (we were sitting in my truck and he was being a big baby about it) and I more or less was majorly invading his personal space trying to be obnoxious and all and he looked me straight in the eye and kissed me full on the mouth. And not just some soft kiss either. It was like he attacked my face lol.

We went to the dance after that and during a slow song he officially asked me out and I said yes. And we've been dating two years now.

So I guess it just kind of happened?