How does adding a potential date as a friend on Facebook affect your appeal to them?

If you're talking to someone new of the opposite sex via online dating, or even just in person, and you seem to hit it off, how does adding them as a friend on Facebook affect the relationship?

• They get enticed by your photos and it makes them want you even more!
  • It doesn't seem to have any effect.
  • It takes all the mystery or fun out of getting to know you and it fizzles out
  • N/A - I don't have a Facebook page, or it's only for family & close friends

Most Helpful Girl

• Hah. Just saw the result of this last week. After being friends on Facebook and texting for about 2 1/2 months, he suddenly stopped responding...after about 3 weeks of nothing, I asked him what was up. He said he realized he couldn't handle a long distance relationship. I was more annoyed than hurt though, because he knew I'd dealt with things like that in the past and he'd promised he wouldn't play games regarding how he felt about me/us. Never even got to the first date... he just disappeared out of the blue and that was it.

What Girls Said 9

• If I became Facebook friends with a guy I like, I would probably look through some of his pictures and statuses to get a feel for what he's like and into and stuff. That's it. Adding him wouldn't have any sort of major effect on the relationship. I hardly even go on Facebook anymore.

• I don't have a FB, but it would cause me to lose the attraction after a while.

Maybe, at first I'll go through his pics and this he is handsome , but eventually well start talking more and more and I'll become annoyed by him.

• I wouldn't do it.

• Let's them know your real and not some random creepy loner

• It could cause them to loose interest in you...has happened to me before.

• My Facebook is mainly for friends whom I am comfortable with

I wouldn't add him till I become comfortable with him

• They might not like you after finding out your personal life.

• It makes me feel like the guy is trying to rush our relationship forward by "cheating" instead of getting to know me by having conversations.

• Facebook can do a lot of things.

1. You can show off what you're good at through photos and videos - your drawings / singing / gym progress / prizes you won / etc.

2. Lots of opposite gender friends writing on your wall could trigger jealousy or curiosity.

3. You could find what you both like in terms of music / books / movies / etc. - A new conversation topic & a chance to get closer! (e.g. "Hey I didn't know you listened to ~ ?")

I'm sure there're more but this is all I can think of at the moment.

What Guys Said 5

• it wouldn't make any difference unless I found out something bad about them on there page , which has happened before or realized we had like nothing in common and total opposities

• depends on who's adding

• if a woman hasn't added you as a friend, chances are your not impressing her. expect to be friend zoned, or rejected next time you see her.

• That's not always true. There have been plenty of potential dates that I added on fb that I never met or they didn't work out. The current girl I'm seeing still is not friends with me on fb yet. She hasn't brought it up and I haven't either. I'm waiting until we become exclusive if we do because it'd be weird to add her and then have it not work out all of a sudden.

• I used to do this before I went on dates because I have been catfished once as a prank sadly. Now I just ask for a person's number and text/call them to make sure the person is who they say they are.

I quit asking for potential date's Facebooks prior to the date because some of them are not OK with it and even if I've talked to them for awhile, some of them get creeped out if you ask that and it'd go downhilll after that. It'd also be weird if you were friends with a potential date on Facebook and then you end up not meeting up or if things don't work out.

Facebook could always backfire by giving out too much information that your potential date may not like. This might sound shallow but I've also noticed that sometimes on online dating sites, a girl will only have pictures at an angle or really old pictures and then once you add them, their modern pictures look a lot different or theyre fatter than they are in the pictures. I'm not saying appearance is the only thing that matters by any means, but you can't hide your appearance in person so you might as well not misrepresent yourself.

• I would wait for the date to be over and then I would assess how I valued the person before I would accept her friend request; if she were to mention why I haven't added her as a "friend" on Facebook I would tell her the truth; that I would want to make sure we hit it off and become friends in real life (where it counts)