Would you do online dating/POF?

So, just curious if you would do online dating/POF?

I like the idea of seeing pics and reading a bit about someone before initiating contact, but I think I'd be embarrassed to tell my friends, etc, that I had met this guy online...idk...is that odd of me?

Most Helpful Girl

• I did! Just recently I finally took the plunge. Met a really cool, normal, sweet guy and had a fun first date. I told my mom and my best friend that we met online, but I otherwise told everyone else that asked that I met him at a recent party I'd been to or something. If we ever got in a relationship I'd consider coming clean, but he didn't tell anyone the truth about how he met me either so it worked for now.

I don't think there is anything shameful about it anymore. Most people I talk to seem very open to it and think the stigma is disappearing. I just wasn't ready to discuss it for myself so I chose not to.

What Guys Said 11

• My last Girlfriend came from POF. My brother's new girlfriend came from okcupid. I know a girl who married off of match.com. I was at a wedding for a friend in the best man party and they met off of okcupid. I know another girl who moved in with a guy and they met off of okcupid. My younger brother's ex is dating a new guy off of okcupid. I've gone on dates off of craigslist even. Honestly... online dating is very common.

As a girl be prepared for a barrage of horny messages from guys on POF. That site's actually trying to crack down on the number of hook up messages being spammed out there. I hear that's why a lot of girls don't use POF and try to use sites like OKcupid.

OKCupid's free but has more in depth profile options compared to POF. POF's more like... "picture shopping" compared to okcupid which has you filling out questions and gives you a more in depth profile.

If you use craigslist... just don't. You'll be barraged by a bunch of penis photos.

Just don't do paid sites. As a guy I have managed one date off of my 6 month term with match.com. They're giving me 6 more months free but I don't see a point in it since the people on the paid sites don't actually login. There are dead profiles all over paid sites basically.

• i met my x wife at a dating agency. I never told anyone about it. I told my parents just before I got married to her. then 8 years later the marrage is all over. after wanting money to help her sister debts and use me.

as for dating on line.. I'm just started to look for a new girl to love me and I've applied to 60 girls so far in a month and got nothing at all so far. so I hope you do better than me and I'm slim and 171cm tall.

the other advice I can give you be carefull sweetie. make sure you meet up in a popular place where there's plenty of people around you.

and just to make sure he wants to meet up with you get there mobile number. if they don't give it then there not real.

• I've met three women from online dates... two of them chose photos far more flattering than they looked in real life, and one girl wasn't very interesting.

Not matching the pic is always the biggest worry in internet dating... and the biggest real problem, I think.

• I've had that happen way too much. A lot of times, girls will either take pictures at angles and say they're average or athletic and then once you meet them they balloon up. As shallow as this sounds, I don't see why they do that. It'd be like me trying to make myself look buff and saying I'm athletic or a bodybuilder when I'm really just tall and skinny lol.

To be fair, I have met a girl that said her body type was a few extra pounds, only difference was I knew what was coming.

• I've met some girls who have only used pictures that were a few years old too. I mean the oldest pictures I use are a year old at most.

Mikewnaz same here. I've had better dates from online than I've with girls I've met in person, period.

• I've done POF but deleted my profile after it went nowhere. I'm on OKcupid but it's not panning out either. I stopped taking online dating sites seriously.

• OkCupid looks like it'd be a good site, but I feel that it gives out too much personal info of people and takes the fun and mystery away of getting to know someone. I've messaged a lot of people on okcupid but only 7 of them responded. There were 2 that I almost met up with but then they just went downhill out of nowhere.

• It doesn't take me a half hour to write a short message, but generally if I can't think of anything to say then I don't even bother messaging the person.

I've been on POF for about 3 years and met 10 women over that span of time. There's one I'm currently seeing and it's going well, we both like each other, but I'm just playing it by ear and seeing where it goes, especially since she lives far away.

I also use OkCupid and I've found more people with common interests, but less luck.

• The only reason I use online dating is because I have a hard time meeting women since I'm not in college anymore. When I'm at friends parties, only women there are their gfs. Every time I go to bars, the girls there are people I went to high school with which I also don't care to do because I already knew them.

Online dating is tough. You go through a lot of crap and timewasters, but if you try hard enough, you might find a catch. It took me awhile but I have found some really good ones on POF

• "I met my boyfriend online, he is a French model". "Uuuuhhhh Bon Jour?"

State Farm Insurance commercial

• I myself have used just about ever free and some not so free dating sight under the sun, including POF. I've even gone on a number of not so successful dates from them. The main issue you will encounter on these sites is, as a girl you will be bombarded by a constant steam of crude, misspelled and simple "hey bab" type of messages if you so much have a photo on your profile, and as a guy its hard to get noticed due to the same issue. It's a lot about how much time and effort you're willing to spend on your profile and your inbox.

Now, as for saying you've met someone online, I think that whole stigma has kinda died down mostly. At most you'll have a friend/family member ask you if you know if they are even who they say they are or tell you to stay safe when giving information/going to meet for the first time.

If you're willing, try one of the paid sites. People are less likely to waste your time when they have to pay a monthly subscription.

• Yes I would. My uncle met his wife on match.com, they have been married like 2 years now I think. They are like two peas in a pod.

• Why not ? I met my ex through the internet by accident, people usually share more online and aren't afraid to be themselves.

• Ive had better dates from online dating than I have.from women I've met in bars...

• I've been using pof for the past 2 1/2 years and just started using OkCupid recently. There's a girl I'm seeing from POF right now though were not officially a couple. I'm not sure where I wanna take it because she lives kinda far and doesn't have a car.

I tell my friends that I met someone online, but not my parents so I tell them I meet my dates through friends, at the bars, etc. My parents would see it as a safety issue and my brother gave me sh*t for it because he thinks it's more focused on the relationship than the person you're with.

I use it because I have a hard time meeting women and when I usually do meet women I'm interested in, they're usually taken.

There are pros and cons. It is easier to meet people that you usually wouldn't have met. You can find more people that have common interests and see who's a better match.

The cons are there is a lot competition, especially if you're a guy. Most girls get 10-20 messages daily while a lot of guys are lucky to get one so you gotta make yourself really stand out. You'll get rejected a lot, but that comes with the territory. This also might sound shallow but I've dealt with a lot girls that have used misleading/old pictures and lie about their weight then when you meet them or add them on Facebook, they look totally different. Not that everything should be based on looks, but I don't see a point in lying about about something that you can't hide in person. I don't know if many guys do this. There are also timewasters on there, ones that say theyre just looking for friends or like the attention.

Overall, I don't see anything wrong with it because it's helped me meet a lot of women and it makes approaching women a lot easier. Not that I'm shy or anything, but I don't approach women if I don't know what to say. Online dating profiles give you a little bit of info.

• I have done it many of times. You don't need to necessarily tell them how you meet just tell them about your first date. All 4 of my relationships started online. The longest one I had was over two years and I asked her to be my wife earlier this year and things kind of went bad shortly after she accepted now I have found online dating to be something to help take my mind off what has happened. And to know there are other people out there.

• It's pretty tough because there was this girl that I found off pof who I thought was my soul mate because she was the most attractive girl I've been with and had the most in common with me plus was showing me a lot of interest. Turned out she was just using me as a rebound and left with explanation only to talk to the ex she complained to me about. Despite seeing someone new, I'm not completely over it which sucks. It's almost feels like I'm doing what the rebounder did to me.

• Some people do make it a competition though, which is childish. For instance one of my coworkers who's still in high school would constantly ask about the number of girls I've had sex with, age I lost my virginity, etc. I mean even though I'm not a virgin, it's like why does it matter? Are you gonna think less or more of me depending on my answer?

Anyways man, you mind friend requesting me? I'd add you, but you're anonymous. I'd like to continue the convo, but it's irrelevant to this page lol

• The guy thing there is he is still in high school. High school teens seem to believe everything's a competition, the people you sleep with you win, the quicker you lose your virginity you win. It's not like that but so many teenagers believe in it.

Haha sure I am going to send a request

What Girls Said 11

• I've tried POF and OKC. Neither has brought me much luck aside from a few months of texting, then everything ending after it seemed like it was really going somewhere. But I'm also in a kind of long distance situation where I was trying to meet guys near my hometown but am going to school in another state 5 hours away.

• My rule for online dating is that I won't do it until I'm 30 and desperate. 10 years to go!

But when I get there, I definitely won't use POF or any other shady free site like that. I'd use a paid site like Match or Eharmony or some sh*t like that.

• I met my boyfriend online.

I'm not embarrassed by it at all. Why? Especially, when they're a great person and you enjoy their company.

If anything, I was more worried about what he would tell people 'how we met'. He was honest about it, when others asked. And so far, we got positive feedback. If not, that's fine with me. Some people are just old-fashion.

It's easy to meet new people. Also, if you don't have time (work/school is getting too hectic to go out), this helps.. IMO

• I wouldnt, I would want to date someone I know, Like a close guy friend before I jumped on a dated site and get scammed because at least then, I'm more comfortable with them :)

• I've been disappointed too many times. I've had guys lie about their age but mostly it's the fact that they don't look like their pictures

• I signed up out of curiosity but didn't stay long.

Not really into online dating ..prefer someone I have met in person.

Online dating is very common..some people have good relationship out of it but have to be careful

• My boyfriend and I met on POF an have been together about three years. I understand beig embarrassed though. Our families would never approve, so they all still believe we met at a western bar (a place we could have potentially met if we had been looking!) The arrangement has worked out fine though... That's our story and were sticking to it!

• i met my ex. over 10 yrs. ago when internet dating just started. I was embarrassed to tell my family where I met him.

our date lasted over 10 hrs. like a few of my other friends as well.

turned out to be normal relationships...sadly mine didn't last to the end.

i am back (because I don't go to bars or clubs) however, the dating scene seem very diff. from yrs. ago. more disappointing then anything else.

at this time and age, just be careful anywhere you meet anyone.

best.

• I only met one decent guy off of POF - he's a normal guy, caring, sweet, funny and down-to-earth. My mom met him as well and she's impressed

• I guess if its websites like POF or similar sites it would be fine. Its the 'online dating' involving another person from the other side of the world that you met on Omegle or Chatroulette that would be..i don't know..weird?

• The guy I'm seeing now came from POF and generally it is embarrassing at first especially if you see people you know that are on there. However they're are on there for the same reason as you and it's just something you can do which is becoming more of a norm so why not tell me. You can just be honest and say you met online and if they pursue the question further tell them.

• how long ago did you meet him? and how old are you 2?

• I'm 20 and I met him back in June :)

• There is always a risk with online dating but in my case I've had luck and haven't really looked back on my choice so far.