If you were dating someone and they were in an accident that changed their appearance, would you stay with them?

My friends sister was in a horrible accident...she was struck by a drunk driver while helping with another car accident on the side of the road. Her face was half reconstructed and she is relearning to walk again. Its a miracle she survived. Her fiancé has stayed by her side and still can't wait to marry her. This made me think...how many people would stay with a girl or guy they are dating or engage to if they were in an accident of any kind it changed there appearance or abilities? What if there face was injured ...they were paralyzed waste down or worse? They got burned? Accidents happen every day...would you stay?

I personally would stay with my boyfriend or fiancé or husband through thick and thin. Whether it changed him completely I would. When I love someone I love all of them. I'm not saying it would be easy but I personally would not leave their side for a second. I would hope they would for me as well.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is what real love is. Simply yes

What Guys Said 5

• I can honestly say I would.

Maybe the life altering event would catch up on us eventually but I wouldn't dump her for being scarred for life.

• Part of me wants to say "hell yeah I'd stay with her!" Then there's the more rational part of me that's thinking, "well, it depends on the type and severity of the injury, and how deep my love for her is..."

I can't see a burn or cosmetic injury ever causing me to want to leave the woman I love. But if I'm being totally honest, the whole "paralyzed from the waist down" thing would scare me.

If she was paralyzed waste down, it would change my life DRAMATICALLY. I hate to sound selfish, but in this case I think it's warranted. I only get one live to live too, ya know? I want to be a father someday, so that'd go out the window. Also I get a LOT of personal fulfillment from being active outdoors, doing things like hiking and backpacking, biking, and water sports like white water rafting, so us sharing that would pretty much be off the table too.

Plus I'd be very fearful of our relationship changing from a romantic partnership to that of a patient and a caretaker. That wouldn't be fair to either of us. After all, she would deserve someone that loved and treasured her just as she was, and if I'm not the guy that can give her that, then how is that fair to her?

• I can see why a guy would have a hard time with there girl being paralyzed...I'm surprised more men are OK with cosmetic injuries...you guys are so visual I kinda assumed more men would nit be OK with that. That's what happen to my friends sister...she is working on walking again but the left side of her face is changed drastically.

• I can see why you'd think that. Men are definitely visual creatures, but I think that plays more of a role in the beginning phases of relationships. For example, a lot of men might not ask a girl out if her face was horribly disfigured, but those same guys would likely stay with her (and do so happily) if she had something tragic happen to her face after they'd already gotten to the stage of being engaged. Real love changes a lot of who you are, and it definitely changes how you view people.

• Yeah defintely lol and I can see how either men or women who want children or have a great sex life woild be crushed by a parylization. Its just I'd hope my guy would try everything to stay because I would.

• I would actually yeah.. But it really depends on what kind of relationship the two are in. Like if I just met someone and we're dating for a week or so.. I can't tell... But if I'm like totally in love.. I could do that. I would also think about what kind of influence it has if me and her would eventually want kids, because as harsh as it seems, if she would be paralysed waist down the things you can do with kids and everyone altogether would be limited, because I am just a guy who wants his kids to have a wonderful childhood and staying and helping mom all the time would sort of take lots of fun away I think you know? Sounds so harsh :\ but I'm honest.

• Gosh I sound like a dick.

• No I totally get that...I really want kids as well and for me if I got hurt and couldn't I'd hope adoption would be OK with them. Its all hard when I think about it.

• No you don't hun...its just a deep question.

• Most guys would stay, but most women would be "outta there" They'll cry some fake tears and say "Bill, I just can't do this anymore. Sorry" Most of the guys I know who were in accidents that changed the appearance of how they looked gf's and wives split on them. Guys if you have a loyal girlfriend, hang on to her for dear life.

• It would really depend on the extent of their injuries. I couldn't be with someone that I had to take care of, and couldn't do anything for themselves. Looks aren't high on my list, but I do have my limits. If she looked like the guy from the movie mask it would be a deal killer for me.

If she was in a wheelchair or something I could accept that, but it really depends on a number of factors. One is how well they accept it. If they are angry at the world and start pushing me away things might not work out. I would give them a chance, but I would have a wait and see approach to it.

What Girls Said 7

• no I would stay , if I really love someone I do love all and everything about them , appearance is just one of those things

• Of course I would. If he is the love of my life ill stay and make sure I support him with anything.

• I would because I love him with all my heart. No injury should ever get in the way of our relationship.

• Guys are more likely to leave their sick/ill/injured wives than women will leave their husbands. Guys place a lot of value on appearance and they also want someone to take care of them, not that yet have to care for.

No one wants to be the bitch or jerk to say they'd leave. But a lot of people lose interest. I guess for me it'd depend.

• I would stay with him and not give up on him

• I wouldn't.

• Yes, because we have developed a thick bond over time and no matter what their appearance is I would not leave them.