Was this weird and creepy, or am I overreacting?

Today, out of the blue, I got a text from my "uncle". He's not really an uncle, but he's sort of an uncle type figure in my life. My younger siblings all address him as uncle and we all celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas and birthdays and stuff together. I never really talk to this man, and he's married with two teenage kids. Well, he texted me today, to "check to make sure that was still my number". Then, he proceeded to ask me if I had a boyfriend. I answered that I "sort of" do. He asked me what that meant, and I didn't reply. He sent another message apologizing and telling me maybe it was none of his business. I told him (I was lying) that I was at work to maybe hint that I didn't want to talk about my boyfriend with him in a polite way. His reply back was, "So it's just a sexual thing then, right?" I didn't reply and he sent me a message a little while later reminding me that he was "just checking to make sure it was still my number" and if I ever need anything to text him.

Is it me, or is that inappropriate and creepy? Keep in mind, I barely even talk to this man. I'm not planning on telling any of my family about this. I'm just curious.

Most Helpful Girl

• seemed inappropriate to me, who asks a 'niece' that kind of thing eww

i agree it could have been innocent as he might have wanted to set you up with a boy you know or he could have been asking for his own interests which I think is more likely because he apologized and said its none of his business then pushed again later then went back on it and repeated the original text message about if its still your number. if you're asking on behalf of another boy youd straight up say "oh there's this really nice boy I was talking to about you, wondered if youd be interested in a date with him but if you're seeing someone already then nvm"

What Guys Said 3

• I think it started innocently enough since he could have been trying to fix you up on a blind date, for example. The sex thing could have been innocent since you did respond with "sort of" but I can see how it would be somewhat creepy or contrived. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

• I'm not "worried" really. I just think it's a bit creepy and inappropriate. I REALLY don't think he was trying to set me up, lol. And I think he wanted it to look innocent so if I did say anything, he could make it seem like it was innocent. I think he was testing the waters. I've heard plenty of other women say that he was weird and forward like this to them, too. I guess I should have mentioned that.

• Ewwww, lol.

• I know, I know. Sadly, many guys don't understand boundaries or attraction

• It reminds me of that old TV show "Touched by an Uncle"

• It could have been innocent, but I would lean more towards creepy.

What Girls Said 1

• I think he might have been thinking he knew someone with you, UNTIL the sexual thing. That took it into creepy territory.