Dating websites. Do they work?

Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering if I could get an opinion from dating websites. Do they work or no? Why or why not? experiences?

Thank you =]

Most Helpful Guy

• For men, they absolutely suck.

For women, you can use them for whatever you want. Free dinners, hook ups, "dates" whatever.

• ok. You tried one before?

• I'm just afraid of having a co worker see me on there lol

• That is a concern but what you can also do is either hide your profile(meaning you'll have to message people first which is fine, or just make sure your profile is clean.

What Guys Said 23

• Dating websites can definitely work. I met my current girlfriend off a dating website and we've been together nearly 4 years now! I hear online dating horror stories and I think they can put people off, but there are a lot of genuine people out there who for one reason or another are unable to meet people in their lives, so online dating gives them the opportunity to chat with and potentially meet and date people with similar interests to them. More and more people are meeting online and many lead to long term relationships and marriages etc.

There's always the risk of talking to a scammer/fake profile/womaniser etc, but there are also plenty of risks with chatting with and meeting some random person you meet in a club too... Any form of dating provides risks!

Online dating is becoming increasingly normal and socially acceptable and the many, many success stories prove that it can work for many, many people! If that's something that you're considering doing, then just take your time in talking and getting to know the people that you speak with and don't rush any potential dating... I wish you much luck and success with that! :o)

• absolutely they do serve their purpose. I have found many nice women to date. a few have become serious relationships. My brother found his wife through a dating site so there is hope.

However 96% of the women I had a connection with enough to meet for a date just wanted sex. I do still want a serious relationship and did then too. But on my journey of online dating of it not working out other than playing around. I slept with 19 women in 4 years... I didn't realize it but dating online can get out of hand quickly.

So beware of the game players , there are some amazing good hearted people out there

FYI I quit online dating because of the game my heart cannot handle that anylonger!

• My uncle met his wife on match.com and they have been married almost 3 years now! They are like two peas in a pod.

• I've had no success. None of the girls that I come across that I might be interested in never reply to messages.

• I've messaged lots of girls. And I am by no means rude or inappropriate. And I share a few things about me and ask a few questions about them to see if I get a first reply back. And nothing.

I stopped asking to meet in the first letter, because I hear that girls want to have a few exchanges before meeting in person. So I stopped asking a girl out in the first message - that wasn't working anyway. Still nothing.

No I don't make dumb abbreviations to suggest my lack of brain matter. And I don't give one-liners either. I know it's hard for the girl to say something first. That's why I help her out by asking a few things that also show I read what she had to say. So many girls also end their profile with "If you want to know anything more, just ask." So I do just that.

But nothing.

Oh well. Meeting girls in the real world is more fun anyway.

• For attractive women they absolutely do work.

I have friends who have tried them but I never could bring myself to try. Being superficially judged and objectified is not ideal to me. I'm already hopelessly paranoid that women my age are "that way", and to substantiate that paranoia would be a living nightmare.

• Dating websites provide the same service as when one goes to a pub a chats someone up.

It's a way to get a number, in order to start to know someone.

• My honest opinion is that it is like everyone throwing a bunch of leaflets up in the air, and hoping you catch a good one. It can happen, but first, you're lucky to catch one, and even luckier to catch a good one.

I've been on dates with many women via internet dating. One girl I met online I even flew to America (from Australia) to meet.

Most of these women I met were lovely people, some of them I got to know really well before we met, others I met and felt nothing. Some wanted a second date, but I didn't - others I did, and they didn't.

I don't think that it CAN'T work, it's just that, to quote myself - It's not real until it's real.

I have many more thoughts on the matter, but I tend to ramble... :D

• They work if you take your time getting to know them and what their intentions are, and even if they want to push it don't! I gave into the pressure of not moving fast enough and learned the hard way.

• If you absolutely have to, go ahead but use the ones you have to pay to use. The free ones are sketchy, trust me

• Girls need to be attractive and non-psycho, and they'll get tons of messages.

Guys need to be tall, attractive, and if they can show off six pack abs, so much the better to get responses.

That's what okcupid said. Though also, they said that the women on their site ranked 80% of men as below average in attractiveness.

• Dating sites only take your money. Many users have hang ups,they have allot of fake people,and many in dating sites have moved on and the sites keep posting their information. Many men on dating sites are infected with HIV and are married so be careful .There are scams coming from Africa and other countries who after you message them say they go robbed and need money. Their English is not correct if you look at how they spell words over seas. Mark

• I don't think they work any better than meeting someone through more conventional means.

• if you show as much cleavage as your avi pic then yes it'll work for you

• From my own previous experience, I'm not joining any more dating sites (especially pay sites) because it's generally a losing proposition for most men. I died a slow death from ignored messages and was in turn contacted by the wrong people that I'd never approach online (let alone offline)...two thumbs down. Women on dating sites have been rude to me as well...if they're not ignoring my messaging, some have actually gone out of their way to send me unsolicited messages criticizing or insulting me for something that I've stated in my own profile preferences. Therefore, I prefer to stay single because as the old saying goes, "better off alone than to be in bad company". I'll take my chances and wait until I meet someone that I actually like (and likes me) offline in the daily grind of life.

• Your boobies are nice

• Most girls are stuck up online. I just use it tri try and converse with people.

• Most guys are stuck up too

• People are tough when they are behind a computer screen.

• I'm a guy, but I'll just describe 2 experiences I had with dating sites:-

1) First I dated a girl during the end of 2010. We exchanged a few emails, shared our contact numbers, spoke for a few times and decided to start dating. Went out on a few dates until the beginning of 2011. Then suddenly, she sent me a text saying that she has some severe personal issues, and can't stay in touch with me until they get resolved. And she also deactivated her number. I was surprised, but I felt she just needed some space, so I agreed. Then, after 15 days, she called me and told me that due to some unavoidable circumstances she had to get married to her colleague in a hurry. Totally ridiculous I know. But I admit I really liked her and was a bit disappointed, but still I wished her the best in life. I moved on, but in July 2012, she contacted me out of the blue. When I asked her regarding marriage, she repeatedly argued that she was only engaged and not married, and that her engagement eventually fell through. She asked me if we could date again, but I said I'd need time to decide. We hung out again a few times, but STRICTLY as friends. At one point, she asked me to provide her a referral at my company, because she was unemployed. But when I saw her resume, I was shocked to see a name which was different. When I asked her, she came up with some lame excuse and said she uses different names for personal and professional purposes. AT that point, I was totally convinced that she was either mentally unstable, or trying to get some benefit out of me. So I have kept her at a distance now, with only a couple of texts exchanged every few months.

2) This girl was someone I dated during mid-2011. She was the one who contacted me on an online dating site. We felt we were compatible with each other, so we decided to meet in person. But when I first saw her, I was totally shocked. On her dating profile she had mentioned her height as 5'4", but looking at her I was sure she was actually less than 4'10". When I asked her about it, she casually said that if she had mentioned her actual height, most guys wouldn't be interested in her, so she mentioned 5'4" on purpose. That is not all. As we went on a few more dates, She used to behave very strangely and often contradicted her own words. Like she lied about her educational qualifications, her religion, and several other things too. So I stopped dating her, although we remained in contact for a few more months before finally putting an end to it.

These are the things I have described only with girls I dated. Apart from these 2, I also had some ridiculous experiences with a few other girls on online dating sites. Of course, even girls have equally terrible experiences with guy. But I have also know cases where people got married to someone they found on a dating site

You can try dating sites, but don't depend too much on them. Keep your options open. A dating site just might work for you, but a lot depends on your luck.

• Sorry about the spelling errors. Posting from my phone, and the dictionary is acting weird.

• It's OK, I understand and I'm sorry about your experiences :(

• Its alright. Just because I was unlucky with online dating, I won't make a blanket statement like online dating by itself is fake. But I do know that chances of failure are much higher with a person you meet on a dating site, than with someone you meet through other means.

• In my experience, they don't. Especially as people look at the picture and if you are not "tall, dark and handsome", then you are $hit out of luck. IF you do not post a picture you are skipped over. I think that it is funny (any online dating) a girl that is either BBW or straight up fat or obese writes an ad but wants a tall dark man that is thin, rich and well hung - yet if a man does that he catches flack for hating big girls. Go figure. Always has been a girls choice market.

• I think they can work - but for guys it takes a lot of patience. I had about a 1:15 response rate for all the messages I sent out... I got lucky with one of them and she and I have gone on several dates. But before we met I was seriously considering deleting my profile for a while just out of frustration. And now I'm thinking of deleting it for other reasons.

• It's worked for me I have gone out with a number of women from POF and OK Cupid. Just talk with the person a for a little while before meeting them so you can judge there character before getting to know them.

• i'd say they are easier for girls than they are for guys

• You should totally try gag ;s

What Girls Said 8

• Tried one just to see what it was like. I met some amazing people I'm still friends with today, then I also met some very not so nice people. The nice genuine people were pretty hard to find apart from the douches faking, weird & all things creepy, or just into sex. And it wasn't worth it to me anymore because some guys couldn't take no or a rejection as an answer some kept making profiles after I would block them some even tried threatening me so I called it quits.

• Q I have tried them and unless the man finds you extremely hot you would be lucky just to get a message. I find it odd how I get a lot of men approaching me in real life but when I use to do pof and OK cupid, then I would rarely get a message. I would suggest meeting giys the "regular" way most guys lie on their profile and have messaged me asking for a friends with benefit relationship. It is rare to actually hit it off .

• I'm on them,but not for looking for someone. I'm just on them to be nosy or the read stuff ( like forums or stories) that only allows you, if you join.

Truly, I don't care to much for them, people wise. Most of the guys who talk to me are just looking for a "fun time." A lot of them are quite disrespect about it. I think they do work, but only in a very small percentage. It also depends on the site itself; it'll tell you what type of people are on there.

• not working for me

• no there are all weirdos on dating websites! DONT! I had a very bad experience!

• It is pretty much hit and miss. Every once I a while, I'd meet a really hot guy who actually did look like his pictures.. But it was so few and far between that it's almost not worth it.

• I had mine for a bit then took it down. Every time I went on a date the person didn't really look like their pic and the guys were sort a weird lol but my friend met this really cute guy who was really nice and he had money but only thing he was a little sketch because he wouldn't tell us what he did as a job and he would drop $500 on drinks for her and all her friends like it was nothing and wanted to buy her a condo. So I guess dating sites can work. It just didn't work for me

• POF worked for me. Met my boyfriend on there, we've been together for almost 7 months now. Couldn't be any happier.