Why is it 'wrong' to not agree with interracial marriage/dating?

If someone expresses disagreement with it (but isn't actively intervening in IR dating/marriage), then why is it wrong?

Plus, a lot of people(namely Caucasian males) who are against 'interracial dating' are simply against black-white relationships, but they still like Asian or Latin women (they justify it in their own ways).

It's not racism unless they're against it cause (insert race) is "inferior"

Oh, and I'm the product of an interracial marriage and I'm in an interracial relationship. But I don't believe it should be shoved down other peoples throats. And I don't believe preferences=racism, although in many cases it equals self hate

Most Helpful Guy

• Those guys are hypocrites that's all. I don't have a problem with interracial dating/marriages unless a person is dating a race because they let stereotypes brainwash them into writing off their own race, and/or they think they that dating /marrying a (insert race) will "boost" their social status or make their lives better. Also people who generalize their own race because of past negative experiences with their race and now only date interracial are delusional if they think that they can't have a negative experience with the race or races they choose to date because there's bad people in every race.

• I think you'd be surprised as to how many guys feel that way though.

• Well when whites (not saying all whites) despise non white races, they tend to despise blacks more and many will try to bring up crime stats as their reason, but actually they despised blacks before that . And according to the stats, white births are now the minority in the world and some feel like the white race is being eliminated . link So some have a problem with this interracial dating and marriage.

What Guys Said 4

• I believe it's the fact that everyone believes people should all be seen and treated as equal. And having any view opposing that is publicly unpopular. The thing is, how can you disagree and not be racist about it? Disagreeing suggests that you have a problem with another race, and it will be based on the persons race. You can't disagree with interracial marriage then say it's something other than a race issue. Whether it's racism, belief of stereotypes or even being 'proud of your race', it still suggests issues with race. It's also none of anyones business, it's other peoples relationships why should someone external have an opinion on it? It doesn't affect their life or their relationships. My mum actually has that err of racism, she says she isn't, yet she told me she would be disappointed if I dated a black girl. I have to bite my tongue, I think it's a horrific view to judge someone based on a color, at the same time I really don't want to make issues with my parents.

• There's nothing wrong with how she feels though. It's not racism, it's just a preference. Most moms want their sons to bring home a woman similar to them. Likewise most men want their daughters to bring home a guy similar to them. She's not judging them based on color, she's just being realistic

• It would also be unfair to bring a woman and child into a situation of your family not accepting them...

I personally wouldn't date a guy whose family or mom already dislikes me simply because of my race. And I certainly wouldn't marry one either, cause I don't think it'd be fair for my children to be in that situation.

But since it's unlikely you'd marry a black chick this is really a non issue. I'm just saying that your moms beliefs aren't necessarily bad. you have to understand her

• I understand her view and if it came down to it I'd overrule it... I'd not date someone, only to end it based on my mums issues about it. If my family didn't accept it, f*** it... I don't care if they accept the person I end up with. It's my own choice, yes it's a situation I'd rather avoid. But I'd not give up someone due to other peoples opinions. I'd say my family would rather accept someone than lose me... It's not that I believe I'm great, it's that my family are just like that.

• I have no problem with interracial relationships, and if someone else does, big f***in whoop. So long as they're not being as a**hole about it. IE harassing people, abusing people, whatever. So long as that just so happens to be their belief, and they're not acting on it other than staying out of those relationships themselves, I don't give a damn.

• Each to their own...

I personally find ALL races Beautiful !

• Where is all this dissagreement coming from I have seen plenty of white people including myself with other races, and not once has anyone said anything about it.

What Girls Said 5

• Having a "preference" to stick to your own race is not the same as disagreeing with interracial dating in general.

Also, I've never personally encountered anyone who was opposed to the idea of interracial dating and DIDN'T think that it was because their race was superior. My father is extremely scared that I'm going to suddenly get a black boyfriend one day. If he finds out I have a new boyfriend, the first thing he wants to know is "what color he is". My dad's whole side of the family is the same way. And yes, they try to justify it by saying that everyone is equal, but they don't REALLY feel that way. People just say that to try to sound less ignorant. I hear them say that everyone is equal, but then they turn around and talk about how dangerous and untrustworthy black people are. So while they're saying "everyone is equal", their real reason for being opposed to interracial dating is because of fear and prejudice.

So, yeah, I totally don't buy that bullsh*t. No one that truly believes that everyone is equal would be opposed to the idea of people from different races coming together. They may say that, but I've heard what those same people say behind closed doors and safely out of earshot from anyone who would be offended.

• There's nothing wrong with a preference either. And there's nothing wrong with your father wanting his grandchildren to look like you and him...birds of a feather flock together

• An IGNORANT set of beliefs.

• +1 brit

• People tend to think the word 'I am mainly attracted to my own race' is a racist remark.I don't see how it is racist unless if he/she says' because I think my race is the best among all'

Most of the time almost ALL males don't feel comfortable seeing a girl of their own kind dating outside their race.Maybe its their insecurity or dominance thing.Whether he is White,Black or Latino.

Interracial marriage is great but people can't push their idea to everyone.In Malaysia people have this issue too.Whenever you said you prefer to date your own kind everyone will attack you and call you bigot.People strongly hold their belief and wish everybody to feel the same way.Its stupid.

• I don't think it's wrong or racist to think that way, but I think it's wrong to project those feelings on to other people.

Right/wrong aside, I do think it's rather stupid to be against interracial marriage when the reasoning isn't based on logic or rationality (and it shouldn't be wrong for me to think that way).

• It's wrong if they're trying to tell other people not to have interracial relations. It's perfectly OK for them to avoid it in their own life but it's not right to try and tell others what to do. I hear you on the white guys hating white/black relations but being hypocrites themselves. White men are the most hypocritical out there imo.

• as long as you don't impose your beliefs onto others.. you can do whatever you want and marry who you want.. its a free country.