Confronted boyfriend about dating website

I caught my partner of 5 years with a dating app on his phone on Friday night. I confronted him about it on the Saturday. He told me that it was a bit of banter at work that started with a fake profile of a work mate who they are always winding up. The work mate who is working with that day actually has an account on it because his single obviousl lol! They were having a laugh saying stuff like "you cringe" & his work mate said something like you stand a chance on . my boyfriend being the competitive type accepted this as a challenge. He admitted he was a dickhead for doing it & was crying as he told me all of that. He even said he'd show me the conversation, which I declined. And went on to say that he has been planning to propose to me & has been ring shopping for a few monts. he added that he knows that isn't relevant but he loves me so much that the thought of not being with me is one he never wants to think about & even if I split up with him which he said he didn't blame me if I did, there would be noway he could ever stop loving me or move on.

From a guy's point of view does this seem genuie? I have obviously lost some trust with him & I feel very insecure. Advice please

I mean his work friend said "you wouldn' stand a chance in it"
Tbh I don't think I did. I was calm when I asked him & I didn't lose it or get upset when he told me. IF he had told me when he first did it of course I would of been somewhat cool with it. At the end of the day I'm not stupid or naive men like to look at other women despite being happy in a relationship or not. Obviously I know him like the back of my own hand but everyone knows that women are naturally insecure despite having no reason to be.
Sorry the above update was meant to be a comment

Most Helpful Girl

• From a girl's point of view, he really does sound genuine, and if there weren't any other red flags he's probably telling you the truth. Still, you have every right to be hurt and it's completely understandable that you're feeling insecure. Did you tell him that? He made a mistake, a silly, stupid mistake, but from all of this it sounds like he's aware of that and genuinely feels sorry.

• Hi Nastya, thanks for the input. That's made me feel a little less crazy lol! I did tell him how it has made me feel & he said he feels awful that he has made me feel like that & will never forgive himself.

• see? a great guy, I'm telling you :) hope you'll work everything out, he honestly sounds like a keeper

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• I kinda think you over reacted. It was just a joke, I'm in a relationship and I'vebeen on a dating site just to see how id match up to, to see if I get people like my partner. I haven't been back on it, but whatevs.

He sounds genuine, but your the one who knows him and what he's like, if your gut feeling says something is up and he was just saying stuff to make you believe him then maybe look into it.

From what you said, just chill, sounds like a nice guy.

• Tbh I don't think I did. I was calm when I asked him & I didn't lose it or get upset when he told me. IF he had told me when he first did it of course I would of been somewhat cool with it. At the end of the day I'm not stupid or naive men like to look at other women despite being happy in a relationship or not. Obviously I know him like the back of my own hand but everyone knows that women are naturally insecure despite having no reason to be.