Would you "leave out" a sibling?

Let's say you're dating someone and you're asked how many siblings you have. You tell your date you have a brother and that's it. But it turns out you have a sister- she may be a half sister or she may be your full-blood sister. What would be a reason to leave out a sibling?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was very tempted to tell people I was an only child when I went to college but I didn't. Sadly I claimed all three of mine.

What Guys Said 1

• I wouldn't, unless there were something HORRIBLE relating to them like they were in an asylum or a serial killer. Even then over time I'd mention it, but not right off the bat. Like my father, I tend not to mention him except for mentioning WHY I tend not to mention him.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think it's weird. My boyfriend considers himself an only child because he has never met his half brothers and sisters from his father's side. So he always leaves them out because he doesn't consider them as siblings and they don't mean much to him.

• I say I have one brother and one sister when actually I have two older brothers. The reason is because I've disowned one brother so I don't count him anymore. If he walked past me on the street I'd pretend I don't know him. I don't see why I should include him on the list of family members..

• I often leave out my brother, because he died nearly ten years ago. I don't want to explain that to everyone who asks about my family. I have no way of saying it without shocking people. Whenever I try to explain, either I'm too blunt and I look like a cold-hearted b*tch or I'm too sad and they look at me with pity.

If I don't want to leave him out, I say that I had another brother. Usually people figure out why I use the past tense ^^

• I never tell people about my sister when I first meet them...

some people know for a long time and never know...

• That's just plain weird, I would never do that

• No way! Why would I do that? I love all my sisters!

• No, never

• That's odd...I wouldn't ever.

My guess would be if someone did that...maybe they have a bad relationship with that person and they don't like talking about them. But who knows.