Why do guys text you, only to not respond? Why even text at all?

Nothing perturbs me more than when a guy does this. He'll text you "Hey" and you respond with a "Hi" 20 minutes later, and he just drops off the face of the earth, though you know he's still up because of social sites you share. Really? Is it that "pinging" crap I've always heard about where guys do that just to see if we're still there?

I don't know why I answered.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well try to jumpstart the convo, don't just answer with "hi", it'a kinda tasteless...be like Heyy what's up?! Just don't be too crazy or over enthusiastic. It'll just give him something to respond to. Guys in general are bad testers. They're less needy attention wise than us girls because we're more emotional, most of the time guys don't know how much attention we pay to these little things or how much it bothers us. So the fact that they're ignorant to it makes them that much more difficult. With a little effort though you should get more attention. Give a little, get a little :)

• There's a lot of history I didn't want to put. I tried to be there for him after an abusive ex as a friend, he initiated more, then told me that I imagined it and he didn't and wasn't ready to get involved. I was wrong to push for more being just a friend, even though I was going off his interest, and we decided to still be friends. He always texts me about how much he misses her. He actually said "Hey" which was weird. I said "Hi" considering I've backed away. I'm not going to think much on it.

• More or less, I've been his shoulder to cry on and when he text me like a normal guy would, I was a little shocked and not wanting to seem too giddy, considering how he kind of led me on...and just messaged me last night because he was wanting to talk about his sadness still about her. That's why I feel like he was just testing me...but why? He's so confusing. That's why I backed away in the first place.

• Oh, and I didn't want him to seem like a complete douche. He apologized and said that he never meant to hurt me. He's so wrapped up in his own emotions, he didn't see how he was going hot and cold with me event though it meant nothing to him. That's why we are still friends. He's going through a hard time.

What Guys Said 2

• Yea, that's pretty stupid. Next time don't reply to that, see if he'll send a followup. But you shouldn't reply with a sole 'Hi' either. You're both at fault, he probably more because he started it and doesn't continue the conversation.

I sometimes say 'hey' to a girl on fb, she usually says 'hi' back, but at least I then continue the convo, otherwise it's just pointless. I couldn't tell you why he does that, perhaps you're reason is the right one.

• Men don't live on their phones. Texts are like emails, send and forget and come back later. We have lives! LOL.

What Girls Said 1

• he was bored and wanted attention.