Are they being racist or is it just me?

Some of my friends criticize me because I would like to date an Asian boy. I am Asian so they think that is the excuse, but it is not. I have liked other people who are not Asian and I even dated a white guy.

I don't know what to say to them, when they say... "Really? You want to date an Asian guy?" "You don't need to date an Asian, cause you are already Asian. Date some blonde, white guy, or even a Mexican?"

I get frustrated. A lot. Are they being racist or is it just me?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't quite understand their point

are they saying because you are Asian you should want mix your genes because there is something wrong with being asian?

there does seem to be some negative implication about you considering dating a person of your own race

What Guys Said 3

• Yeah its them. Date who you want to date. For some reason in America white women are the only women who aren't encouraged by the media and/or others in society to date outside of their race. Plus girls are also encouraged not to date Asian and black guys, but at the end of the day, its up to you.

• Neither. You're entitled to your preference as are they.

• They are being douches. You have the right to date who you want. It's your perogative.

What Girls Said 6

• If they actually tell you or suggest that you date a white or 'even Mexican' guy, that is kind of racist, as it implies that an Asian boy would be inferior to those.

As to what you say, try something that they couldn't really have and easy and quick response. I think replying to them asking why Asian, just say 'why not?'. If they answer to that because you're already Asian yourself or something of that sort, I'd probably reconsider being so close with these friends.

• They pretty much want you to be more open-minded. (or live outside of the box).

If they were "racist" then they wouldn't tell you to date other races.

If you're contented with dating your own then I see nothing wrong with that.

• What they are being is nosy and bitchy. Who you date is none of them freaking business. Personally I would just be a bit of a brat and start criticizing their boyfriends, crushes what have you with the same sort of stupid things they said to you but maybe another road to go would be to tell them they are being rude and you don't need their opinion when it is on something so very trivial and if they're your friends they will keep their big fat thoughts to themselves. Date who you want its your love life not theirs

• i don't see an issue dating someone within your own race or someone outside.

it is your preference, nothing to do with fetish or anything negative.

i don't see a problem with dating Asian guys...

dont bother with them it is your life not theirs

• they are being racist

• This is an age old thing.

You are allowed to like who you like..