I decided to create an account for online dating and exchanged numbers but now I have 2nd thoughts?

so I talked to this guy one night on a dating website and we exchanged numbers but now he won't stop texting me. it's not that I'm not interested but being hounded makes me uncomfortable and I hate when people are rushy and pushy. he texts me everyday multiple times, even if I don't respond. sometimes I respond but it's usually a while after he has texted me. I don't want to be mean but it's really annoying and such a turn-off when every time I turn around I have another text from him. I also established my online dating account when I was in the midst of just going through a breakup and being worried I was going to end up alone so I created one out of paranoia. I don't even think online dating is for me and now I feel I have made a mistake in exchanging numbers with this guy. any advice on what I should do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely don't just ignore the texts. It might just make him text more. Yes, he'd eventually stop, but you'd probably go through some pretty annoying days before that happens.

While I'm not a fan of lying, you can never be sure how people on dating sites might react, especially since I'm sure you didn't anticipate him acting like this. So you could just tell him he's texting a bit much or that you want space, but it might be a good idea to just get rid of the account and say you met someone else recently and don't think it's going to work for you and him, like Starfish suggested.

Also, I totally get the fear of being alone. I've been like that ever since my break up a year and a half ago, but not a huge fan of the online dating idea. Still, you seem cool enough and attractive based on your profile on here. I don't think you have to worry much. :p :)

Best of luck. Might be best to get to know the guy a bit better in the future before giving your number though, if you do that again. Even Skyping first might work. You can always block them if it doesn't work out then.

What Guys Said 9

• Delete your dating account and text this guy saying that you have really enjoyed chatting with him, but that you have started dating another guy (or you have got back with an ex), so you wish him the best of luck in finding a suitable partner... That should do it! :o)

• Hey listen, I'm sorry. All you had to do was tell me your feelings or I would have stopped okay? you sounded very cute and convincing over the dating web site. I only wanted to start up a conversation, okay?!

haha but seriously all you need to do is tell this guy how you feel. Tell him that you're simply not interested. Guys like this need a 'straight to the point' message. Deliver that to him and he should understand and back off.

Hell, just tell him I'm your boyfriend.

• My advice would be to be transparent. Just let him know you're feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the attention and that you need space. If he doesn't listen, well, just don't respond!

I would heavily advise giving a burner number, next time. If you have a smart phone, there are apps that make temporary numbers for things like this.

• Take this for a lesson learned not to give any info out so soon make them wait until you feel a very close connection. You must pay attention to their intent and how the communication is...

The first thing you do is block that number asap ! and block their profile on the dating site.

Record the situation in writing and date it,. Making that piece of information available to others. tell a friend about your experience (a true friend and or family member)...

Dating sites are not for people that are unsure if they are interested in dating... the people Online dating is basically a hook up site. In my experience 95% of them just wanted sex...

• If you ignore him the texts will continue and since he is already being unreasonable with the texting, it will probably just get worse. I am sure you can come up with a nice way to say not interested. Just make sure you are to the point about being not interested.

• Not that it helps now, but you should exchange emails a few times (not using your main email account) before exchanging numbers. And find out more about each other.

• Just be honest and tell him that you're not ready for this and thank him for his time with a gentle apology. It isn't as if he's invested into you, or you into him, so it's okay. No need to lie or anything. Obviously delete the account and carry on.

• This guy is the problem. Block his number at least.

• A rhetorical question...What's the point of being on an online dating site if you never follow through meeting someone that you apparently seemed to like in the first place? Assuming he's not a crackpot...he's probably looking for a relationship and interested in meeting you and you're the one who gave him your number in the first place. If you're not so responsive to messaging then what's the point of seeking another relationship and giving someone your number (on or offline)? Stay single then.

What Girls Said 2

• Ummm block his number

• just ignore