Why do people get mad if someone only likes to date good looking people?

I see it all the time on this website. "Girls only date good looking guys!" "They never give average looking guys a chance!" Not as often, I see the, "Men only want hot girls!"

Like, duh. Of course people are going to want to date hot people. Why is this suddenly a revelation or a bad thing to do?

If someone dates someone just because they're hot and hates everything else about them, that's just silly, though, in my opinion.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because 'hot' is socially defined. It generally means only females, not males...it generally means only those who have the money to dress at the height of current fashion allt he time...it generally excludes really tall or short people...it generally excludes studious people, or those who wear glasses, or who have even a small physcial flaw.

So people feel, and with justification, that they'r being discriminated against in one way or another. Or that they're being passed over because of not being 'cool' in whatever way that is defined at the moment.. Discrimination of this type is going to be unfair in most people's opinion.

Again, with good reason, but only certain ethnicities are called 'hot' in general.

• I personally think that there are beautiful people in all ethnicities, but this makes a lot of sense. Nerdy people may feel discriminated against... But beauty is subjective! People like nerdy or tall or short people, too. Depends on taste, really

• Society doesn't allow nerdy people to be 'hot'. You and I mght feel differently, but certainly that's the way the word is used generally. Such unfair judgments are what make people angry

What Guys Said 8

• But what's hot? just because someone is seen as hot by one, does not mean others will see them like that, so its all a shallow way at looking at things, because to me, if I find her hot, then that's all that matters to me, someone else might find her plain or ugly, but as long as she's hot to me, its a sealed deal, and just for the record, a lot of hot or so called hot should I say, really need to get a new mirror, because what they think has got to be where someone lied to them and told them they look hot, because some girls really can look so rough my eyes hurt, but still believe they are hot lol,x

• As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person my find me attractive and another might think I'm hideous. The same applies to me as well.

That being said, while looks aren't everything, they do matter to an extent. In order for me to like someone they have to be somewhat attractive. If I'm going to date someone, they have to have something in common and a good personality as well on top of being attractive. I'm not just gonna date a girl because I'm physically attracted to her. It most likely wouldn't last then.

I agree with the last part, dating someone just for their appearance while hating everything else is stupid and very shallow.

• I don't know... I personally don't care. I think people hate to feel rejected but neglect to realize we all have flaws. None of us are perfect. Just because some of walk around in a pretty shell doesn't mean they are more worthy for dating as anyone else.

• - Either bitter in general..

- Keep seeing girls with completely tools who treat them like shit, but look decent so it's ok.

- A mix.

• Because people are always telling other people looks don't matter when it does. For someone who asked anonymous something tells me you've been dumped a few times by good looking guys? Like do you have any idea how many times I hear females on here say to me oh your not bad looking, to your cute to average when I show them my pic? 0 and those that do say it don't mean it and only say that to make me feel better. I doubt you would give the average guy a chance right?

• no, I've never been dumped. I've dumped, though, which is just as hard. it depends. I would prefer a guy that "matches" me just a little bit. not to be conceited, but I am a good looking person, I model. many people tell me that my current boyfriend isn't in my league but I don't care. I think he is attractive. but people are like it's so shallow to date good looking people only! I only think it's shallow if good looks is the only thing people care about, and not caring about personality

• Basically Zooey Deschanel with light hair and dark eyes, and her nose is definitely cuter than mine. I feel weird sending pics of myself to anyone...lol

• Trust me if you're as cute as you say you are, you have nothing to feel weird about. I promise not to show them to others.

• Perhaps this tendancy reduces with age. I have avoided some very good looking people because their character is not nice and vice versa!

• Personally I would rather date an intellgent, average looking girl than a "hot" girl with sawdust instead of a brain. I can't begin to tell you how awful (or sorry?) I feel when a good looking girl talks inanities or nonsense, whatever attraction I may have just dissipates and is gone forever...

• Haha, I agree. I can't take it when people are unable to hold intelligent conversations. Feels like I'm talking to a pile of bricks.

• Frankly, people can date whoever they want, we have choices right? But like one poster said here, good looks last only so long...And I know from experience. Last girl I dated, she was hot, had the body of a goddess, while at the same time was so BORING! Very fast I lost any romantic feelings had for her. Who wants to be around a boring person?

Now, years ago, I did fall in love with this girl who was OK looking, cute face I guess, not a 7 or up.. But being around her all the time had butterflies in me. Only time I was ever in love.

Now, I do blame both men and women for this. I think everyone needs to expand their minds a bit. Why only go after those based on their looks? Don't you want to enjoy being around them? Heck, I could be dating Britney Spears right now, but if she bored the heck out of me I'd want out!

What Girls Said 3

• What is "good-looking" to one may not be to another.

• I don't know. I think it's rational to want to date someone you're physically attracted to.

I do think it's silly when people want someone ridiculously good looking when they themselves aren't.

I also think people don't factor in that everyone has different taste and perceptions of beauty.

• everybody likes eye candies, but our eye candies differ.

i don't see anything wrong with dating goodlooking people, maybe to others it seem shallow. but good looks can only last you that long, the personality ultimately substain the relationship