If beauty is "subjective" then why do people get offended when you say this?

If let's say I were to take someone who is considered "beautiful" or "handsome" and I were to say that they were unattractive then I'd be looked at like I'm crazy.

Not to mention in real life.Lets take this site as an example.I have seen so many users argued badly about how 'shallow' or 'blind' a person is for not preferring certain physical features.I think its ridiculous to get mad over it since this isn't even a dating site and you won't date anyone from here.

I know physical trait isn't something that you can change but the same goes for someone attraction towards the particular person.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, beauty is indeed subjective, but people are made to believe that only those who fit a certain definition physically are good looking. This is not true at all. For example, I have got extremely varied feedback regarding my looks (ranging from 'ugly' to 'model material', and everything in between). Similarly, while the majority of the world's male population finds women like Megan Fox, Angelina Jolie, Cameron Diaz etc. attractive, I personally feel that there's nothing special about their looks. And this also depends upon race and ethnicity. The people of a certain race are usually find people of some races more attractive compared to the other (I don't consider this 'racism').

So you see, it depends on a LOT of factors. Its not that simple to find the answer to your question. In general, it is true that beauty is subjective. Its just that certain people are considered attractive by more people whereas others are considered attractive by fewer people. But the truth is, there exists no human being who would be considered good looking by the entire human population.

• Wow, thanks for choosing mine as the best answer! Much appreciated! :)

• Wow, awesome! I knew my guesses don't always go horribly wrong! Anyway, once again thanks for the best answer! I'm a relationship counselor (although a software engineer by profession), so I come across these types of issues on a regular basis.

• you are welcome.

What Guys Said 8

• I think a lot of beauty is subjective. We know that a personality can make someone more attractive right? We know that culture has an influence right? We are naturally more attracted to people that we feel comfortable around (that's why a persons personality can be attractive). Of course a lot of how we find people attractive are just hardwired in us though. The reason that they would look at you like you are crazy is because people don't like other people disagreeing with them. The same thing could happen if you say you hate baseball and they loved it.

• very good=]

and yeh what's the point of fitting in when you can stand out? iv never understood that...

• beauty isn't subjective. that's just a soothing leftist lie. people tend to hate uncomfortable & difficult truths

• It's really not, at least to the point you seem to think.

You hear everyone talking about 'Megan Fox' or someone similar and going crazy. There is a bit of a grey area for some people, lower standards, whatever. But generally people can agree if someone is cute/handsome/hot.

If someone calls your ugly it's going to be insulting, depending who it comes from.

• don't see or know why anyone would get offended when they've been called "beautiful" or "handsome". Since I'm a guy, "handsome" works better for me than "beautiful", though.

• People are sensitive about the shells they come in so it's all just a ruse to protect us from ourselves.

• Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder, but most people in a culture will agree on what's beautiful.

Of course, it changes per culture, just as genetics and physical features change. Such as, white men in the USA prefer slim or petite women.

Blacks in the USA openly prefer heavier, thicker women.

• How would you feel if I were to say you are not beautiful. To add insult to the injury, how would you feel if I say you are ugly.

Just don't ever say something like that in front of someone. Not just that, there might be people out there who are attractive to some and unattractive to others. Kiran Rao is attractive to Amir Khan. Just don't try to play with words and don't ever try to test others' nerves by doing these crazy things.

• I rarely comment on people look on here that is why I don't rate their reality check.What I am saying more about on my question is if I were to find A girl isn't that cute,the person I talked to get offended.Not the A girl.Btw I didn't use the word ugly.You did though,even I know you were just giving an example :)

• People don't like to get excluded regardless of anything.

What Girls Said 10

• welll I agree with you on what your saying, its strange that people react this way but the simple reason for such reactions is that when a persons opinion is different from the norm, it is looked at as though its strange or foreign.

I'm like this on many issues.. my opinion will just b different from the rest, but you know, its an opinion and no one can change it but u.

some people don't sit well with the idea that there are people who will have opinions different to their own, so when theyre confronted by that, the other person jus seems weird to them lol.

i like subjectivity:) it makes us unique=] nd have a different appreciation for things

• Your first example is kind of... weak. Especially if we're talking about a person you know. How would you like it if someone called you unattractive? Yeah, beauty is subjective. However, that doesn't give you the right to just be flat out rude. Instead of saying someone's unattractive, or even ugly, you could just shrug and say "not really my cup of tea" or something generic like that. If you're too blunt, of course people are going to look at you as if you're weird.

As for your other example, that's a better one, and I agree. Nobody is into the exact same things as someone else. But, as any other opinion, if someone decides to disagree with someone else, jimmies are bound to be rustled in one way or another. It's stupid, yeah, but the best thing you can do there is to just ignore said person, or "agree to disagree".

• Because you just told that person they were unattractive...? I'm sorry but why is this confusing?

• I guess you are the one who confuse with my question.Read it again.I was saying that if I were think someone isn't pretty and the other person think she is,the person I talked to get offended,not the person we talked about.Get it?

• Because, unless they ask for your opinion, 'unattractive' is an insult. And people normally are not so keen on being insulted. Do you really not understand that simple concept?

• I have been called unattractive by few guys and I accept it.That is why I asked this question because I want to know why people are way too sensitive about it.Do you really understand that simple concept? :)

• Then you're an exception. When we get insulted out of nowhere, we haven't had time to shield our ego and therefore it hurts to get insulted. But if your ego is already hurt or you asked the "am I pretty?" question, you will prepare your ego to take a blow and will most likely not be as hurt. No one likes having their ego hurt. You must be shielding yours all the time if insults don't bother you. And I'm guessing you don't care much about compliments either

• Confugirl you're on point with your answer!

• i'm just so used to having my physical preferences laughed/sneered at I don't even care anymore.

• People cannot handle other people's different opinions. I have a friend like that she easily gets offended because I do not find the same celebrity she finds attractive. I think that some people are way too sensitive and stuck in their ways.

• Because that's rude

• Because you didn't say they were good looking. Humans have egos you know.

• People look at me crazy when I say eminem is hot. To me he is the hottest.8 can't explain it

• People hurt knowing the fact that their physical features aren't desired by the opposite gender.