Would you date someone with the same last name as you?

Would you date someone who had the same last name as you or would it be too weird for you. Kind of a follow up to my other question

• Sure, why not
  • No, it would be too weird
  • Depends

Most Helpful Girl

• I would love that cause I really want to keep my last name.

What Girls Said 29

• Sure.. it wouldn't bother me...

I don't really have any attachment to my last name..

in a way.. I have 3 lol...

The one I was born with..

The one I legally have..

and then as much as I hate my mother, I do like her maiden name.. so I use it wherever I can get away with it.

• It would be odd but I wouldn't make it a dealbreaker (assuming there's no reason to believe that we're related).

• Sure, as long as they aren't related to me :o lol. You wouldn't believe how many people I find out are my cousins when I'm in Albania for the summer. I think my last name suits me, so it wouldn't be a problem ^-^ Plus, my brother always brags about how he's going to keep the family last name since he's the "man" of the family -.- So there's that lol. If that ever happened, there would be TWO men in the family (; AKA: ME lol.

• Date yes, but never marry. I'm trying to get rid of my stupid last name =/

As for guys I don't see why ot, because if they hit it off and are in love with each other, when/if they get married the guy doesn't have to worry about:

- her wanting to keep her last name

- combining the two names together (hyphenated)

- her demanding him to take her last name

Because whichever way it goes they'll have their last name

• Not if he looks like me and acts like me as well. But if he looks completely different and it's obvious we don't have any second, third or fourth cousins in common, I'd date him.

• Yeah that would be cute

• haha yeh I wouldn't care=] I think it'd b freakishly cool actually:P

but yeh no chance of that happening=]

• My normal last name is not really common, so probably not. But if I had a common last name like Smith or something, and I knew for sure(100% beyond a shadow of a doubt for sure) that we weren't related...then I don't see why not.

• No. Too weird and suspicious.

• Sure I would. Since my last name is gonna die out since my two uncles on my dad's side never had any kids and my grandfather only had a sister. There's a guy in my town with the same last name. We're not related. I've never met him, but when I was in high school, people kept asking me if he was my brother.

If we were to get married, all I would have to change is the Miss to Mrs.

• Yeah, it wouldn't bother me :)

• "too weird" is asking people their last names in order to consider a date! xD

that's freakin ' weird! D:

• I wouldn't mind, as long as we are certain that we aren't related.

• Yes because for one, I was born into my last name, it's not my family's last name. So I don't have to worry about being related to the guy. #2, I have an awesome last name, and it would be great if I could keep it.

• Sure why not if you decide to get married nobody has to change their last name

• No I don't want to go out with my long distance cousin

• What about those whom date people with the same first name...

• at first I was like huh? than I realized there are gender neutral names and of coarse gay people too.

• link Very interesting Facts about cousin marriage.

1 No two people are more distantly related than 50th cousins.

2 Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages.

3 No European country prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico to marry your cousin. The U.S. is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions.

• The source contradicts itself because earlier it mentioned:

"Children of non-related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk."

Then later it mentioned:

"Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages."

Contradiction in terms

• okay for me

• Same last name wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Same first name, on the other hand...

• yeah what's wrong with that if things progress and we end up married - I get to keep my current surname :)

• I couldn't care less what his name is.

• No way too weird for me

• No that's too weird

• sure, why not. I wouldn't mind

• My last name is not common, only in my nationality do chances are I'm related to them. So no

• My brother married a girl with the last name the same but she got the name from being adopted and made sure they weren't related. I'm dating a guy that does not have my last name but his mom does

• No. My last name is rare. So anyone with my last name would be in my immediate family.

• I voted A.

I don't see why I wouldn't, unless of course we were related, haha!

Otherwise, there's no problem. I don't adore my last name, but dating doesn't mean marriage anyway, so...

• as long as we're no blood related...

What Guys Said 13

• Yes...Thats a really stupid reason for not dating somebody, sorry. Little to no chance that somebody with the same last name as you, that you did not know previously is related to you, really? If you don't know who's in your family, you have other issues you need to handle.

• I said depends because if her first name was the same as my sister or mom I wouldn't but if it was something else I prob would.

• I have the same first name as my boyfriend's aunt.

• an aunt or cousin might be different, I would have to be in the situation to know for sure though.

• Date yes, have sex, no. (My last name is not frequent thus she'd probably be related)

• I would. Even if she had the same first name. Lmao.

• It wouldn't bother me.. We wouldn't have to go through that awkward phase of who gets whose last name.

• I'd be more reluctant dating someone with the same first name than somone with the same last name as mine.

• Depends, as long as our two families were positive that we had no blood relation at all! And if not I wouldn't have a problem at all!

• They would have to be a different race than me if that were the case...

• sure why not

• My last name is very rare so that would most likely be a no!

• No. I know some people I'm not related to that have the same last name as me, it'd be hella wierd

• It may be awkward at first, but it wouldn't phase me

• yes I have a pretty commomn last name, so it is not rare to find a lot of people with it. So I guess in that sense it doesn't matter me since I am used to it.