What should the anniversary be considered?

I'm just wondering. Let's say that you date someone, break up, and then get back together. If someone asks you, "How long have you been dating?", what is the appropriate answer?

• Count it as the overall months together. (From both the first and second time.)
  • Count it from whenever you two got back together.
  • Don't count it at all.
  • Consider it off and on for (amount of overall time).

Most Helpful Girl

• Well that's the issue I had. My boyfriend and I dated 6 years ago (we were 14 and doomed for failure) lasted 6 months, broke up. Got back together a week later, lasted 3 weeks, broke up, got back together 3 days later, lasted nearly a year, broke up, got back together, lasted 7 months, broke up, got back together, lasted a year and a half, broke up, had some more short little relationships in there - about have a dozen, then finally got back together when I was 18, and we've been together officially since then. We just count from the last time we got together. So we say we've been together officially 2 years, 2 months, and days. Unofficially forever.

• aww that's indeed confusing.. I broke up with my boyfriend only once and that was around July this year and I couldn't even say we are apart cause we still see each other as friends lol. we have arguments before but I've never broken up with him. the longest we've gone without talking is 2 days. I hope you and your boyfriend would last forever! ^-^

• you just say off and on for the last 6 years.

What Guys Said 2

• A while. The date is not critical on dating when it started or stops or starts again or any of that. Quit counting days and years like its a service or a sentence. Life isn't like that. You'll be 40 before you know it. Don't blow your only chance and no texting!

• How do you even get back together haha. I would count the second relationship I guess.

What Girls Said 6

• We were broken up for a year, my boyfriend and I, and when we started anew we decided that the old relationship didn't count. It didn't work, we were different people this is fresh, something separate, something new, and we don't want to tie it back to that. Though we did keep our anniversary date because it was a really good one.

• Count the overall months from the first and second time if you were only separated for a few days it won't make that much of a difference.

• that's actually my biggest problem to date :/ but ehh no big deal cause we will be celebrating weeksary :P

• srsly in my case I just didn't count this year cause this year has been troublesome though I "officially" broken up with him just a few months ago. I think it's ridiculous to not count the 7 years we've been officially dating just because of few months we are apart. :) but it really does not matter to us.. we can still have our remaining lifetime to spend :)

• Since I'm on years and not months I just count by years and not 4 years minus 3 months.

• Me and my boyfriend were together for a year, we broke up for 3 months. The first 2 months was no contact, the third month we started talking again catching up. As of yesterday we are back together lol so I guess I would say we were together for a year.

• How long was the time you were broken up? Was it just a few days or weeks or was it longer? I would say to just count it from the new time that you got back together but I mean it's your relationship, you can count it however you want.

• We were together a little over 10 months. We've been broken up for about 2 1/2 months.