Girls, do you drop formal text/email punctuation when you like someone?

I know I do when I like someone. If you want to know I like you, I'll use your name a lot more and stop using 20 word sentences with 2 commas and a semicolon. Does anyone else do this?

I normally do this first. So if she follows suit could she be mirroring me just cause? Or is she glad to drop the formality?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not necessarily if I like someone, but I usually do it when I feel more comfortable with the person, and want to show my own personal slang/ text personality..

• Yes. Peoples individuality is important, even in email. It's funny you mention that because they throw my own phraseology back at me now that they've broken structure. It's hard to explain but I notice everything and I can tell when two or more things appear together when they normally don't.

• Thx... It feels good to be recognized by a keen observer once in a while :)

• haha..you're welcome :)

What Girls Said 24

• Nope, it depends on my mood that day. Like if I'm upset, tired, or just whatever then grammar is out the window.

• haha, that's real.

• It is I was an English major, my English teachers maybe disappointed lol. I mean isn't too bad I can always correct myself and others but. I'm just too lazy task myself in being a grammar nazi. Now I see why I switched to team Science lol

• I don't know that I'm ever formal persay, but I always use proper grammar. I'm a creative writing major, though, so I guess I can't really drop that.

• As for using named more, that's good :) Keep doing that. I love when boys use my name. Particularly ones I like.

• thinking versus doing...subtext..yes! I love that stuff. And in the moment is very cool too, dramatic truth, the only thing that matters to the current action is the action and circumstance previously before.

• Exactly :) Yeah it's a lot of fun.

• I always use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation when texting. It doesn't matter who I am texting.

I'm a grammar snob though.

• No. That deosnt make a difference at all.I just use informal text when I'm comfortable with the person I'm texting...mom,dad friend, boy friend, 2nd cousin twice removed it deosnt matter.

• Same here. I find email interesting since technically I'm breaking email etiquette and the women in charge follow suit. Especially since I send some random emails for no particular reason. Just saying hi.

• If in an established relationship, perhaps. But not in the beginning. Poor punctuation & grammar is a sign of carelessness. Something I don't prefer.

• I do the opposite. If I like someone, I will try to use perfect punctuation and grammar. If the person I am talking to becomes more casual, I might mirror them a little. I'm not very comfortable completely dropping everything though. I would loosen up a little bit.

• This is interesting. I can understand why. What is striking about these 2 situations is the women outrank me and it is the official email where they are dropping the punctuation or altering it with my lead. The biggest difference is that they both have dropped that annoying "Thanks!" I can't stand that exclamation point.

• Hmm. It could be as you suspect. Although (in formal emails) if I have been conversing with the same person for a while, I will begin to break the structure a little--no more greeting or closing. I wouldn't change how I write the body though. Perhaps the two women think they know you better now and don't feel the need to be as structured because you are familiar. They could be short on time and just skip the greeting and closing and maybe miss a couple commas. I would wait and see what happens.

• Thanks. I see what you're saying. I'll keep watching as things move forward.

• Yes I tend to

• Lol no I don't want them to think I'm retarded

• I use less formal writing with people I'm comfortable with.

• mmm nope. but girls will use lots more smiley faces and hearts

• No, I almost always use proper punctuation and long sentences, but I'm a writer. Sometimes I'll get a little more slack with people who know what I mean and I've known a long time, but not necessarily guys that I like.

• Ah a writer :) Nice. Yeah. That's helpful. I notice girls drop their contractions when we're flirting. Like they say have not instead of haven't. Subtext there is they are choosing their words carefully from self consciousness.

• I do this when I care about what the person thinks of me

• I do it all the time!

• That's doin the most but I do think about what I say more than just replying if that makes sense

• I do the exact same thing!! To impress a guy when texting, I spell everything out and use his name a lot.

• I make sure if I like someone I text formally. I want to look smart, but I usually put a cute smiley face or a wink face to keep it interesting

• Nope

• Yeah it becomes sloppier as you become closer

• I feel like I add it.

• Yes definitely. I get lazy and sloppy in texts

• I do that. If you want someone to remember you, you should say their name more often. I do it so he'll be thinking about me later ;)

• Lol yes I don't wanna seem sloppy

• I know what you mean. Yes, I do this at times. I try to speak proper in the beginning, but when texting for HOURS back and forth, I get to what I call "phuck it mode" lol.

• Yes. I just hit the gas after 30 minutes of this and go into phuck it mode.

• Same here haha. I might abbreviate things a bit more, but for the most part, it's not much of a difference.

What Guys Said 2

• You're thinking too hard about this.

• I follow Brannigan's Law of Punctuation strictly: As much as you can, as fast as you can, regardless of the logic. ;;;? --