Dating someone who uses racial slurs?

My sister recently ended things with her boyfriend who used a racial slur at a party. We are Black Caribbean & he is white. They are both in high school and no offense but some white people who listen to rap music tend to use the 'n' word. Did she overreact by ending it with him? How comfortable would you be with someone who uses racial slurs in certain situations?

It wasn't said while he was singing along he said it aloud on video at the party. I get that some people are OK with the word being used by non-Blacks but this isn't a word that we personally use at home. I'm not sure if she uses it around her friends though.

Most Helpful Guy

• What's the big deal? He wasn't calling her that. He was singing along with a song.

It's becoming increasingly unreasonable for people to say that whites or anyone else aren't allowed to use it under any circumstance because the fact is that subculture is mainstream now. The music is mainstream. The clothing is mainstream. Much of it is mainstream and there's people of all different backgrounds into it. I find that quite unfortunate, but what's the big deal if that's the case?

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 3

• Fucking kids these days. No she didn't overreact at all. Only very close friends should you ever use those words around, and even then it's touchy.

• I couldn't date someone who said racist shit about people like me.

• No she didn't react. Some of the black or mixed with black girls on GAG are okay with their white boyfriends calling them the N word/using the N word.

What Girls Said 3

• My theory is if blacks can say it in a song in that context then whites can as well. But in also not giving them permission. If you say it and you're not white then don't be surprised if a black person takes offense.

My boyfriend has done it, but he's only ever respected me and never made me feel uncomfortable for our racial differences.

• Please... if people are going to be SOOOO sensitive about their race, they need to date only within their own race!

• If it's in a song I don't care