Online Dating

Does it work? Has anyone tried theses online dating sites and met someone worthwhile?

Most Helpful Girl

• my current Bf, I meet him online, and we are defenately long distance he was in US and I am in Asia, I thought that we will not work as we are far away and he might not be able to see me. But to my surprise! he fly to see me last year, and tmr! he is coming to see me too,he save his money to come to see me:) , so we are seeing each other once a year on his summer holiday. we have been going for 2 years now this is his 2nd time coming to my country:) ..BUT not always happy in online dating you might not know the real person wheather he have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend already..like in my case my Boyfriend used to lie to me about his status b4 we meet makes me feel cheated so we must be careful. ... I don't know wheather this relationship will last? but I know that it is worth if you can find ur love:)

* However we must take extra causios/ carefull, as now a days many liars.

• I love hearing cases where love prevails =) but do you mind if I ask what did he lie about? My apologize if I am being too bold.

• Ya its ok he lied to me that he have not have a girlfriend b4, while he did and make me mad, but that's b4 I meet him, and then when I ask him who he watch a movie with he says with his guy friend while he is watching with his ex girlfriend makes me mad again, but that's was b4 I meet him, after we meet each other he never lied anymore but I still need to be careful if he does lol. no you are not:) good to ask questions:)

What Girls Said 12

• i haven't done online dating but I feel that if the two people are far away, the lack of physical companionship can be really sad. I mean I would feel sad so constant communication would be very important to me

• actually I have met people online. One guy that I'm talking to I met online and he's gorgeous and awesome and we have a lot of things in common and we are having a great time.

• 1. Who knows if the person you are talking to is a FAKE , I don't why people are so gulable unless ur smart and ask for webcam or to see them in person

2. Just seems more right to meet someone in person , I rather meet a stranger in a public place then over in cyberspace

3. You don't realli get a good idea of what kind of person that person is because you can't hear their voice when they say things or they could just be lieing/pretending bout their who self or hidding important details bout themself.

4. In the long run I don't think the best long term - relationships can come from online dating , who knows if they have someone in their REAL life & playing the fool or seeing someone else on other dating sites .

In all I just find it an UNREALISTIC concept...so no I have never tried & plan on never to do so I just don't trust it so personally I think its for desperate , attention seeking , low life , thing hopeless people do , no offence ( can't blame them at time ) I just don't believe in such ideas but yes potential friendships can be built for these kinds of sites some people just get TOO carried away with these things...

• I haven't but my cousin met someone and they've been married for about a year now and been together even longer and their so happy together :)

• I didn't go to an online dating site, but I met my boyfriend online. We were really good friends for years (around three or four; we've been together for around three to four years now too) -- like IMing pen pals, if you get my drift. We came to know so much about each other that just can't be described face to face. I know, it sounds weird -- but I personally can type out what I want to say and express myself better than talking.

I don't know what I think of those online dating sites -- they creep me out. Perhaps if you got to know the person without seeing each other for like two-three years and become super best-friend close, then that means that you are truly bonded, without the veil of physical attraction. I mean, who's a creep that would play along for that long? So you'd be safe then...

Gah, sorry if I'm not helpful...

• Me too! I didn't go on an online dating site either, magic just happened :)I am pretty sure I know him better than anyone else in the world, becasue for us to really understand each other we had to know each other inside and out. We know litterly everything there is to know about eachother, and b.c. we never met we were afraid of what we said. We broke up because he was depressed we would never meet. Deleted each other + now because of fate we <3 each other again and his close buds <3 me +talk 24/7

• I met a guy on plentyoffish.com, that site is free and has a large variety of people. Okcupid.com sucks. I dated this guy that lived 5 hours away, he would drive to see me every weekend, eventually I broke up with him cause not because of the distance, but because I realized we didn't have much in common and he was obsessed with World Of Warcraft. lol. But then I met the guy I'm dating now from there and we have hit it off great, we actually are living together now. =] Good luck!

• Never tried and never will. Some relationships probs will work out if you meet online but it's just total desperation to me. Like, all the people in real life wouldn't go near you so you have to resort to online. I'm not saying they are all desperate just most people that need to date online.

• I see your point that it may seem that way, but a good portion of people use these sites because they have no other choice, say if they live to far away from where the majority of people life and such. Some people use it because it is different and a new experience. The thing is with online chatting and dating people get more of a chance talk to people and get to know different opinions and life styles that they may have never come across before and find much better.

• I think that its unfair to call it desperate. I have actually thought about it, simply for the reason that you meet people that you get along with, and there is no judgement until the first meeting. my friend met her boyfriend on the internet and he's totally not her normal type, but they are perfect for each other. if she hadn't met him on the internet, they wouldn't have been together at all.

• Yeh sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I'm just saying I would never do it. Like I said in my answer, they aren't all desperate.

• Online dating is the most convenient way to look for a date, really. Those who never tried it are loosing much. It's a whole new way to know a person - you already have some profile information to think on, maybe some good pics, then you have some chat. Even this little piece of information can be useful when looking for a nice guy/girl/couple. But! take my advice and never choose those huge dating sites. i've burnt my mouth with okcupid, as there's too many douchebags there, ew. I prefer kovla. com , just to be sure iI won't run across some crazy elderly perv. And you just be open and ready for new people in your life ;)

• I works just like anything else does. You meet, decide if you're compatible, date, maybe even marry...then you find out he's just as big an idiot as every other guy out there: porn, checking out girls when you're right there (even if you're beautiful), looking for hot girls online...good luck with all that. If I get divorced, I'm never getting married again!

• I did it and I'm still very much in love with the guy. He lives in the north and I live in the south, so it's hard. We are currently broken up but we had three wonderful years together and I'm sure one day we'll be back together. It can work

• Ive tried OKcupid.

90% of the guys on there are scumbags. and a lot of the women are ugly and fat.

but its 100% free

• Meh. I don't like it

What Guys Said 9

• It's not desperation to me and your certainly capable of finding love on the net or even meeting great people. There can be many factors; those who are deaf and hard of hearing, those who are in the military, those who met on myspace, WOW, forums, facebook, communities such as Xbox Live, and so many other ways that it seems a little cliche to say, "oh, they met on the net". I think I'm reasonably regular looking and I don't consider myself desperate, nor do I rule out the possibility of dating someone online. Does that mean I prefer it? I don't, but I'm not about to look down on people who meet on the net when it's quite clear that anything is possible. So I'll never say never to the possibility nor will I ridicule others who attempt to try dating on the net. Not too mention that writing is a major extension of my personality and I feel we learn more about other people because of the protection of being behind the screen. Your more free, and your personality shines more. So there's disadvantages and advantages, and to answer your question, yes it can work. It all depends on those willing to put forth the effort to at least try.

• online connections are good to find selective matches. It is hard sometimes to find a match in your community...especially the small rural ones! Distance matches are very hard to work out. BUT if you find someone within driving distance, you can grow the relationship easily. Just don't play around and treat it as a crutch. Let the online site set you up. Get to know each other only until you feel safe meeting. Then meet and act like a REAL dating couple...SERIOUSLY. Don't play net games after you meet...be natural and be real. TOO many people use internet as a crutch when they should be meeting the other person. You can't forge chemistry with typed words...it has to be made in person or at the very least by voice/webcam...but that is shaky.

Yes it works. Yes I've tried it. Yes I've met people worth while. I've also met people that are using the crutch!

• Yes it CAN work, but so can blind dates, right? It's just that there are six horror stories for every blind date that 'works out!'

I think the odds are worse than that for online dating. Sure try it if you want, but in the spirit of an experiment.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still think real time is a lot more efficient!

• To be honest (and I may be flamed for this) but online dating websites, from my experience, seem to attract a certain type of behavior. I have two buddies that both are on multiple dating sites. For whatever reasons, they don't meet girls in person and resort to online dating sites. This is not a problem. However, I have noticed that every girl they meet on there has a major problem with insecurities. Perhaps they are also on their because they don't feel comfortable with themselves to meet people in real life? I don't know, but that seems to be what all these girls have in common.

One of my buddy's has a girlfriend right now that is just extremely obsessive if that's the word. She practically lives at his house and doesn't give the guy a single moment to do what he wants to do. I guess she feels like if she misses any opportunity to be with him that he will leave. But he feels smothered right now. His girlfriends before this have all had some big problems with insecurity.

So say what you want, but online dating seems to have an abundance of people who have issues that they can't work through, which is a red flag for ANYONE (online or not) looking to get into a relationship.

• i know I'm a little late on answering this but o well..lol

short and sweet yes it does work!

now the long answer. its works and don't just limit yourself to just online dating sites. you can find anyone anywhere. that's the great thing about love is you never know when or where it will hit but once it does the world stops and time stand still. I'm actually speaking from experience my girlfriend and I actuly met on here in live chat. we started talking talked thru the chat we felt a strong connection exchanged numbers and face book and what not and haven't turned back! we love each other madly! al tho dating online is "impersonal" as in you don't have the physical touch of them with you all the time. and some people find it hard to believe you can love someone before you hold them in your arms. but if you two are both genuine and trust each other and talk to each other about yourself s, you tend to learn more about them than normal relationships. you fall in love with their personality, the way they set up words in a paragraph and their voice while talking on the phone. you look at their pictures and imagine in your mind how perfect they are. and you just can't wait until you finally get to hold them and watch all the effort of putting all you can into the relationship pay off when you finally see them for the first time! its truly a wonderful feeling when you get to know someone better than you know yourself. and when you truly love and care for them more than anything else. but like I said don't just limit yourself to online dating and be prepared for a few online freaks and the normal crap but once you meet the one whos genuine and you are proud to be with them you will know they are true for you and when you two are finaly together it feels like nothing in this world will ever break you apart!

• Yes, I've tried it, and yes, it worked out beautifully. I started going out with my current girlfriend about 6 months ago, and I never looked back..

We first talked on MyYearBook. She'd found me using the "Match" feature. Sent me a message and we got talking.

A few months later, we met up. We were nervous as hell, lol.

The next few times, up to today, they've been at my house and have gone amazingly well. We're totally comfortable around each other! I can safely say I think we're soulmates :P

SO yes, despite all the hype about it, it can pay off. Don't get me wrong, it can get dangerous if you don't take precautions, but once you do, it's great! :)

• ^ my boyfriend is rite........

i never tought about meeting a guy oinline because of the dangers now..

but its totally changed mt toughts but you do always have to be very careful;......

• I know they do work, I have not had any luck yet myself and I've been at it for about 4 months. Just be prepared to deal with a lot of BS before you actually get anywhere with anyone. Good luck.

• Yes!

You can find love online and I know a couple people who have and as for me I found friends online who I met and see as lucky to meet.

U gotta be prepared for anything,so be careful,but make it fun too.

Peace!

• A friend of mine has had success with Jdate.com and Match.com. She had a goal to go on 25 dates in 6 months. (she was basically trying to figure out how to date/form a meaningful relationship) After about date 15 she found a guy that she has been dating for about a year now.