Girls, can a dumb joke over text be enough to cause disinterest?

So, I've got this date/hangout session (it was never really defined weather it was a date or not) coming up with this girl from school. As we were finalizing plans last night, she brings up that she just finished dress shopping. I asked her how it went, and this was how she responded,

"I didn't get anything, just tried on a bunch of stuff... I think I's a little early to get my prom dress, plus my mom doesn't want me to go unless I have a date :/"

At this point, I'm kinda freaking out because I wasn't 100% sure whether or not she was seeing anyone. Now, I'm not about to ask a girl to prom over text, so I try to be cute and send her,

"What does a Persian fruit have to do with prom ;D"

With the winky face at the end to make damn sure she knew I was joking. She never texted back, and I haven't heard from her since. Anyway, back to the question at hand: Is a really dumb joke like this one enough for you to be like, "I'm done."

Most Helpful Girl

• the joke in and of itself was not dumb and certainly not enough to drive me away, I'm thinking along the lines she was fishing for an answer from you that she didn't have a date for the prom and instead you sort of avoided it by telling a joke. Just speculation but its very possoble.

• Makes sense.

• well thank you. Hopefully you can call her back and see if that was the problem :)

What Girls Said 2

• too bad for you she didn’t get the joke. The way I see it, she’s the one causing all the awkwardness here, not you, corny as it was. It was not offensive in anyway, nor dumb enough to think badly of you. Her disinterest was due to her own inability to understand your joke. You sure she’s not just some pretty airhead?

• No, she's not dumb, she's actually rather intelligent. She's in honors and AP classes with me, and that's how we met.

• well, if she’s not dumb, and actually understood the joke but for some apparent reason, took offense in it, as I said, you have no fault whatsoever here.

A dumb corny joke would never cause disinterest. An offensive, immature joke will, which you didn't do.

Maybe the reason she did not reply has nothing t do with your text at all, just got preoccuppied with something else then forgot.

You should text her and ask if you said something wrong and offensive and if she still wants to hang out.

• She was probably like wtf? I have no idea what that means, but I would text her back if I were you and say hahahahaha jk, like I was high or something.

What Guys Said 1

• i love the joke lol. but chances are she wanted you to ask her to prom