Have you had a friendship that drifted apart?

If so why? I'm starting to realize that one of my friends that I knew since 6th grade is starting to drift away.since we graduated from high school and went to different colleges, we don't text anymore. After the first semester of college, she texted me with sad faces, saying how we don't talk anymore. I've honestly forgot all about her, and it made me sad. I wasn't even aware it was her birthday today until I went on Facebook... It hurts that someone that was so close to you can easily. Just drift away :(

Most Helpful Girl

• It really does happen though. I lost both of my best friends after middle school. All 3 of us went to different high schools we drifted apart and it was all over after sophomore year of high school now we don't talk at all and actually one hates me...?

Also, I don't talk to anyone from high school, my best friend from high school ended up moving and now she has a child so we don't talk at all.

I made a new friend at work but I usually part with work friends when I leave the job sadly. It sucks a lot of friendships fall apart. I have been through it more than once. I'm just use to it now.

What Guys Said 3

• I've had plenty that drifted apart really, lifes change, people change, interests change and at least at one point in your life... you'll realize that just because your not talking often anymore doesn't mean your not friends anymore... maybe further distant friends but I have at least a few friends that I don't see or hear from all too often but when we do see eachother its like nothing ever changed.

• It's a normal part of life, so don't feel too bad about it. If you're good friends it'll still mean that once you strike up a conversation, even if it's after a few years, you'll still be able to be as friendly as you always were and catch up.

• All of them. So what?

What Girls Said 5

• Yes. Either they moved to another city or we started going to different schools. If you don't want your friendships to drift apart, you just have to make the effort to keep in contact with them on a regular basis, either by texting/calling or actually meeting up if possible.

• yeah, we were best friends since first grade, then I moved away in 9th grade. We used to talk all the time though, via IM. She even came to visit a couple of times. Now we only speak to each other on special occasions or if something really important happens. It's natural.

And after graduating from high school, I started to feel self-conscious about the way I looked, up to the point where I don't want my high school friends to see me, so I ditch them all the time. Even today, they invited me out. This one's completely my fault though (I guess this one is not drifting apart, I'm pushing it away... makes me sad).

• There's this girl I've known since I was seven, and she was the closest thing I'd ever had to a friend. When we were around fourteen or fifteen she became really popular, and way too busy for me. I wasn't hot or slurry enough to be her friend anymore. It's funny actually, last week she rang me begging to get her a job at the gentlemen's club I work at or at my modelling agency. They said she looked too trashy

• I have drifted from a lot of friends over the years. It happens. You change and grow and develop different interests and some of your old friends don't change or grow with you and your interests you shared with those people are now different. It sucks I had a few good friends who were fun but it's probably better that they are not in my life anymore

• Yeah. It's really sad but it's usually a natural thing that happens. Try not to dwell on it :) You have just as great a chance of reconnecting in the future. Life takes us all over the place