Why is it such a big deal?

My mom is mad at me because I got onto a singles dating site. She said to date someone from school. I'm the oldest one and all the guys are after sex. Is it wrong that I want to date someone my own age or a year older? I just want to know.

Most Helpful Guy

• You KNOW it isn't wrong to want anything...but mom's are doing their job worrying about her daughter. Online dating has an odd sense of anonymity to it...you could literally date 5-6 people so easy. in your mom's eyes...she knows you would never date 5-6 guys in a short period because you know your reputation could be damaged with friends/people from school. You tell your mom that you will be super picky and one of the criteria would be if he would be "mom approved". This WILL ease her tension. Happy surfing.

What Guys Said 3

• Because guys on online dating sites are not just after sex also...

Your mom is just trying to protect you, of course it's natural that girls are attracted older, more mature guys, but you need to understand if you go out with someone older than you they may:

Act and treat you like you are a still a child because they feel superior to you (because of the age difference).

Trick you into liking them just so they can have sex with you, then they won't respond to your messages and you will never see them again.

A lot of guys on online dating sites are just players who message like 50 girls every hour. It's sad but true; when you know what buttons to press and if you don't have an conscience, it can be quite easy to manipulate a girl and pull on her heart strings.

Of course if you are over 18 then it's your life and your decisions, but please be careful.

• Older guys are even more likely to expect sex, and faster.

I'm not talking about a hook up situation, where guys looking for that either hookup or move on. I'm talking about even if you become a couple, guys who are older tend to expect to be sexual before or at the same time as becoming an actual couple, certainly not months later.

She probably knows that, and doesn't think much of that for you ...

• It's not "wrong" - but you have to understand that people of your mom's generation (I'm assuming she's probably close to my age) grew up before there was such a thing as dating online and dating sites. And when they first started they had a stigma of only being used by "losers" or people just wanting to hook up. There is a certain loss of interpersonal relationships that occurs when you try to date people online.

What Girls Said 1

• She's only looking out for your best interests.