Is there a difference between 'cuddling' and 'snuggling'?

Yes/No...

Do they mean the same to you or do they differ slightly?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, at least when I think of it, when I hear cuddle I think of being in a seated position or some position along those lines and then snuggling in my mind is a much more full body closeness that I associate more with happening under some blankets (full clothes or otherwise). That is my personal take on it, but they are VERY similar to the point of being used synonymously among most of us non-English majors/graduates.

• I agree with that. I think they are very similar but I do think there is a slight difference between the two :)

• Thank you :)

• You're welcome.

What Guys Said 10

• The words are interchangeable to me, no real difference that I can think of.

Whatever it's called, it feels great though!

• I suppose "snuggling" tends to mean "face-to-face" to me, or "face-buried-in-chest", while cuddling could be that, or it could be sitting or laying side-by-side, or spooning, as well.

Other than that, they're pretty much the same thing to me.

• I don't know I always think of snuggling as a more intimate version of cuddling. Perhaps that's just me though!

• Face to chest is my favorite! Giggity Giggity Giggity

• yeah it's sweet ^_^

• snuggling is cuddling with reckless abandon, without restraint or fear of judgement

• so what's cuddling then if that's snuggling?

• good stuff, BA me, baby gurl

• Eh, we'll see pal! haha

• Maybe not but you could look at snuggling as innocent as and many people cuddle before and after sex.

• I cuddle with my dog

I snuggle with my cat

My girlfriend sleeps on the floor

• I don't think they have different meaning. But ... Pronunciating 'cuddle' sounds cuter and girlish, while 'snuggle'... sounds more rough. I'd say cuddle would be my preferred word of choice.

• hmm really? I think snuggling sounds cuter and sweeter tbh.

• I don't like my 'n's and my 'g's lol. But actually if I think further ... 'c' and 'd' enunciations are used too much in some rather distasteful acronyms.. I don't think I like the association of that. It brings to mind something sharp, and inconsiderate that just rolls off your tongue.

Whereas snuggle ... uses enunciations that are slightly more unfamiliar... but I guess that makes it more exotic and special too?

I'll probably forgot all those and end up using 'cuddle' by instinct lol.

• Ahhh I see :) I honestly think it could depend on your accent. Mine is VERY broad and Scottish, so snuggling sounds softer than cuddling when I pronounce it. I don't think cuddling rolls of my tongue with a great flow, bu snuggling sounds sweet! I guess it depends who I'm with whether I'll ask to snuggle or cuddle, and what mood I'm in : ) teehee.

• It depends really. Cuddling to me in reality is supposed to be laying with your girlfriend holding her talking or watching a movie and nooot expecting to fuck ,even though us guys always get a stiffy and turn cuddling into a kink fest. Snuggling on other hand is like cuddling but more petting and kissing and def leads to sex. How I always seen it.

• Oh well I find that interesting because I've snuggled before and it never lead to sex.

• I have Scottish blood, french,Meti Indian and black so no I'm not from Scotland and don't understand the terminology over seas since I'm Canadian and never left Canada yet

• Yeah that seems legit. I'd rather be Canadian than Scottish any day.

• For me, cuddling is something you do with a person. Snuggling is what you do when you curl up under a warm blanket.

• Idk, I hate em both. Bam wham thank you mam. Believe me, I know my shit..

• yes

they are totally different

but I don't know why.

so I guess they actually arn't

What Girls Said 7

• I think of cuddling more as hugging side by side or holding hands and leaning into each other.

Snuggling is more intimate and like rubbing up against the other person.

I guess you could say in snuggling their is one person being snuggled against and another snuggling while in cuddling their is equal force from both sides? Haha

• I think they are almost the same and use them fairly interchangeably, but I think snuggling is kinda more like getting closer and "snuggling" up together (especially if your under a blanket or something) and cuddling isn't necessarily always as close? but they are so similar I don't think it matters much. lol

• To me and my boyfriend, cuddling has a little more movement and usually leads to something else. But the words are still interchangeable. There's not much of a difference

• No, it's the same word.

Sometimes people use many different words to describe the same thing or action.

• I think you snuggle on freshly washed soft blankets that smell of fabric softener mmmmmm!

and you cuddle with your sweetheart <3 :p!

• Same thing to me

• i think most use them interchangably. I tend to use cuddle more but still rarely because these words are not known and mainstream katakana. yet.