How long after a breakup do you wait before dating someone else?

I'm almost 2 months post breakup and my guy friend is showing interest. I'd like to date him someday maybe but I'm still not over my ex and I just want to be single for a while.

Anyways, how long do you usually wait?

Most Helpful Girl

• Anywhere from a week to a year. It just depends on when you feel ready. With some it's been right away. With a particularly hard break up I didn't even LOOK at another man for a year.

What Guys Said 3

• As short a time as possible, I've been single for 5 minutes before... At the moment I've been single for two years which sucks majorly. I prefer to move on quickly, no point dwelling on a dead relationship cut your losses and look for someone else incase you miss someone because you were wasting time 'grieving'.

• Once I've made up my mind absolutely, I get right back at it at once. If you're alone you'll just end up missing your ex. Cut your losses.

• Last time I was single, it was for under 2 hours.

What Girls Said 12

• Don't really know the answer. Its been 6 months since my break up, we were together a year and I'd say I was ready to date about the 5 month mark. My ex on the other hand got a new girlfriend 4 weeks after we broke up, whom he met whilst we were still together. I was his rebound from a previous relationship and I think this new girl is rebound from our relationship. It differs for everyone. One thing I will say, is never date someone to get over someone else. Its cruel and it means that person can never be on their own.

• However long it takes for you to get over your ex. I know that isn't a concrete answer, but if you still have pretty strong feelings for your ex while you start dating a new person then most likely those feelings will get in the way of your new potential relationship. I'm not saying it's not possible to get over your ex while dating a new person. However, it isn't fair to you or the other person if you date each other, but you still have feelings for your ex. That being said, you may never be completely over your ex, so if you still have slight feelings for your ex, then it should be fine to start dating again. More than anything it's a gut feeling you need to have. As cliche as it may sound, when you know, you will know. Good luck with everything!

• I wait until I'm ready to date. If it's a week or a day, I'll do it when I want to. That's how you know the guy is sh*t if you date someone else within a week lol. But my feelings would have to be completely dissolved before I date someone else though. No baggage.

• I think that it depends on how long the relationship lasted, if it was a little 3 month relationship or a 3 year to me makes a difference. I would wait to feel right about it, if there is something inside of me that feels uneasy still I would keep waiting, if it just feels right them I follow my gut feelings.

• You wait until you find someone who means something to you :) .. it doesn't matter how long after the break up it could be 2 years or 2 hours. The only thing I wouldn't do is settle for someone else as a 'bounce-back' just to get over my ex. That would suck for him and mean nothing for you anyway.

• You wait until you're completely ready to date someone else.

No one wants to date someone that's too hung over on their ex.

And nobody wants to date someone else when they themselves are hungover on their ex.

Sounds like you're anxious to move on...so go for it!

• haha! depends on the nature of the break-up. Even before I broke up with my ex I was ready to date someone new. I had already emotionally checked out

• Until I can think about my ex without feeling sad. It wouldn't be fair starting a relationship with someone else when you're still carrying so much baggage

• I wait until I'm happy being single first. I don't wanna date someone just to fill a void.

• 3 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 7 hours and 32 minutes exactly.

Seconds are really hard to stick to..

• If you feel like you're not ready, then you should take it slow. You'll get there. :)

• I usually waited a few weeks then talk/date someone after the few weeks are up.